PDA

View Full Version : Almost Unbelievable !

Happy Landing !
26th Jan 2003, 14:54
I found the below link which may be of interest.....
It takes a few minutes to download, but is well worth it.
I've scanned it for virus and it seems safe.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ian.fallon/movies/helo.wmv

Happy

AlphaGolfLima
26th Jan 2003, 15:01
Holy **** ...
That guy should have really invested some money for
an experienced CFI !
In the beginning I was laughin' but the end was really
terrible.
How damn stupid do you have to be in order to
think that rotary is "self explanatory".

ouch ...

AGL

Nick Lappos
26th Jan 2003, 16:02
This film circulated around Sikorsky a few months back labled "Nick's first flight."

I met a washed out pilot at Ft. Wolters TX back in 1968 who did the same thing in an OH-13, using his just-bought checklist and some large gonads to get it started. He was saved by a guard who walked by as he sprang into the air. His flight time was similar, about 10 seconds. He was on his way to Infantry school, as I recall!

This film clip proves a close friend correct. As one of the Sikorsky test pilots, he endeared himself to the company's senior management back in the mid 1970's when he said to the President," I could have your job for 6 months before they found out I was an a**hole, but if you had my job for 6 seconds, you'd kill yourself!"

For the film clip, here are the details from the NTSB data base:

NTSB Identification: LAX87LA190 . The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 35617.

accident occurred Sunday, April 26, 1987 at RUBIDOUX, CA
Aircraft:HUGHES 269B, registration: N101DN
Injuries: 1 Minor.
A HUGHES 269B WENT OUT OF CONTROL AND COLLIDED WITH THE GROUND DURING A T/O TO A HOVER. THE PILOT HAD PURCHASED THE AIRCRAFT RECENTLY AND WAS LEARNING TO FLY IT. HE WAS SCHEDULED FOR HIS FIRST FLIGHT LESSON ON THE DAY OF THE ACCIDENT. THE CFI REPORTED THAT HE HAD TOLD THE STUDENT PILOT TO WAIT FOR HIM AND NOT TO TOUCH ANYTHING. WHILE WAITING FOR THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR, THE NON ROTORCRAFT RATED STUDENT PILOT STARTED THE AIRCRAFT, RAN IT UP TO FULL RPM, AND THEN BEGAN TO INCREASE THE COLLECTIVE PITCH CONTROL. THE HELICOPTER CLIMBED VERTICALLY TO A HIGH HOVER AND THE PILOT LOST CONTROL. THE PILOT STATED THAT HE HAD NOT RELEASED THE CYCLIC FRICTION BEFORE BECOMING AIRBORNE. THE PILOT INDICATED HE HAD ABOUT500 HOURS OF FLIGHT TIME BUT DID NOT SPECIFY THE TYPE AND NO SUBSTANTIATION OF THE TIME COULD BE MADE.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL..NOT MAINTAINED..DUAL STUDENT
JUDGMENT..POOR..DUAL STUDENT
VERTICAL TAKEOFF..UNCONTROLLED..DUAL STUDENT
INSTRUCTIONS,WRITTEN/VERBAL..DISREGARDED..DUAL STUDENT

This is the search page from the NTSB site:

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/query.asp#query_start

S76Heavy
26th Jan 2003, 18:02
It proves that even if you can buy a helicopter, you cannot buy intelligence..:D

He was lucky not to become a Darwin Awards contestant..:rolleyes:

DBChopper
26th Jan 2003, 18:07
I have watched this about a dozen times since I downloaded it.

This guy must surely win the Rotorheads "Plum of the Year" award and it's only January!

Mind you, with a name like "Hog"...

DBChopper
27th Jan 2003, 16:50
I just watched it for the umpteenth time. Is he even wearing a belt? The pic's a bit fuzzy but I thought the Schweizers had four point harnesses and I can't see him wearing one. It just makes it all the more unbelievable that he wasn't chopped in half by the blades.

(for anyone who can't download the vid, after dropping from a VERY high, spinning sort-of-hover he smashes, tailrotor first, into the ground before the machine thrashes itself to bits on the floor, then numbnuts himself is seen in a bemused state surveying his work)

:D

too young to die
28th Jan 2003, 19:10
He obviously knows nothing about anti torque pedals, dam he was lucky! Whats wrong with this man?:D