PDA

View Full Version : Gas Leaks near to Platform

gnow
26th Jan 2003, 13:46
I would like to seek the views from other operators regarding operation to platforms where there are visual gas leaks from the sea near to platform. Client has assured us that the gas are inert in nature and therefore it is safe to go in but the leaks from the sea is still showing. Any CAP 437 experts that can help on this area?

Thanks

Old Man Rotor
28th Jan 2003, 10:22
Excess Natural Gas, both inside and outside the cockpit is to be avoided at all costs!!

SASless
28th Jan 2003, 13:46
What happens if that gas leak undermines one or two of the legs of the platform as has happened in other locations? Result has been the rig toppling over rather suddenly....usually with a loss of the rig and crew. The critical issue is the reason for the leak...and the location of the leak. If the leak is under the rig...from under the sea floor....I would be most concerned. If it is a gas line leaking above the seafloor or well away from the rig....probably less a concern for undermining issues. If it is H2S gas.....now that is another issue all together. Definitely a safety issue that needs to be reviewed by appropriate authority.

gasax
30th Jan 2003, 12:01
If the gas was inert why would they do to all the trouble o drilling into the ground, compressing and drying it and then piping it back to the beach?

Your client has a point in that the concentration from a leak subsea is unlikely to be able to maintain a fire as it will have diffused to a level below its ignition level - probably. Unless the leak is particularly large and there is little wind.

So with a bit of wind in the right direction there should be virtually no danger. A bigger concern would be the cold venting of gas- but I'm sure you all know about that and fly clear of the likely plume.

Helinut
31st Jan 2003, 16:19
It isn't usual and it could come from any one of a number of sources. I would be dubious that the gas was "inert" - it might be outside its flammable range but that is not inert. Small leaks/releases can easily grow into big ones, especially if it is not controlled.

I guess if it was me, I would ask for more information about where it was coming from and how they can be so sure that it is safe.

zalt
31st Jan 2003, 18:28
Low O2 content also likely to cause an engine surge if in sufficient quantities.

Similar issues when integrating guided weapons on military aircraft. Once had a nasty scare firing rockets from a Wessex at Castlemartin as the plumes went into the intake.