PDA

View Full Version : UK ATPL to FAA ATP

hassel
23rd Mar 2001, 15:53
This is new I would like a FAA ATP (poss green card in the post) any advice

Low_and_Slow
24th Mar 2001, 00:25
If you already hold a UK ATPL, you will (according to FAR 61.153(d)3) be eligible to take the US test-- no need to get the US commercial and IR first. I seem to remember that the UK times reqquired cover those required for the US ATPL--you should go to faa.gov and check FAR 61.153-61.160 or so to ensure you have the required experience. The written should be relatively easy (go to faatest.com and get the software to study) then come to the states and do the medical (or do the medical with one of the FAA certified CAA doctors) and do a few hours brush up and the test. Many people use all-atps for this part, but any FBO with a twin should be fine since almost all (all?) DEs can give the ATP exam. You could also do it with one of the DEs in europe, just give them a call to ensure everthing is OK.

-me

ps. keep us posted on your progress!!!

[This message has been edited by Low_and_Slow (edited 23 March 2001).]

G-OOFY
24th Mar 2001, 00:40
If you did the written and then did say a citation type-rating. Does anyone know whether you can do your ATPL ride during the type-rating? If so any idea of cost?

Tinstaafl
24th Mar 2001, 03:03
Easy to convert any ICAO ATPL to an FAA one.

1. You'll need to do a Class 1 medical. Quick & easy. Took 30 mins for mine & cost US$60 with the card issued on the spot.

2. Do the ATP exam. You have a choice of Part 121 or Part 61 (I think it's #61. I did #121 so can't remember). Part 121's focus is jet transport, 61 has a turboprop element.

Very easy exam, entirely done on a PC & will take about 1 or 2 hrs. Took me a week of (very) part time study using both Gleim & Jeppessen ATP prep. books. Results are printed & issued on the the spot.

Don't lose your result advice because it's the only record & you *must* present it to the examiner when you do your flight test for the licence. The FAA don't keep records of who does the exam - it's the job of the testing officer to ensure you meet the licence issue criteria.

3. Book a flight test with any of a number of readily available testing officers. As the holder of an ICAO ATPL + the required flying hours you can book the test directly.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a direct booking. It's helpful to fly with an instructor for at least a few hrs to get used to how things are done. It will be very, very pleasant surprise compared UK or Oz conditions.

All FAA test items are specified in minute detail in publications called 'xyz Flight Test Guide'. One is published for every single FAA specified flight test and your testing officer is will follow it.

The flight test is no great drama. Unusual attitudes & handling exercises, 2 precision & two non-precision approaches - along with engine failures at designated points.

The main 'catch' is that the USA has quite a few more & different types of approaches not used in Oz or UK. You can be asked to do any of these that your a/c is equipped to do.

5. A type rating test can be combined with an ATP issue.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 26 March 2001).]

ronchonner
24th Mar 2001, 04:54
I did my atp in the USA:
1.9 hour flight with an FAA examiner
2 ils,1 full vor approach,1 loc app,stall,emergency descent,steep turn..
the basic!
normal t/off, landing,and some bla bla about the systems.
I m certified flight instructor and i flew for an airline, so it was piece of cake !
i guess the practical JAR atp(in a 12'500 lbs aircarft) is harder because they try to suck our EU dollars!!!and do nt give a s..t how you fly, as long you pay!

good luck