PDA

View Full Version : DEL and BOM diversions

jettison valve
25th Jan 2003, 16:35
Hi all,

for the last couple of years I have noticed the high rate of diversions of flights to BOM and DEL in particular due to poor visibilty, especially during winter time. Sometimes the impaired vision reportedly even prohibits take-off.
Now, as it must be a heavy burden on airline ops (diversions, delays, cancellations, stuck crews and aircraft etc.), wouldn`t it help to reschedule the flights so that they operate into/out of India during daytime...? Is the major problem for such a rescheduling the unwillingness of authorities...?

Cheers,
J.V.

rsoman
29th Jan 2003, 17:07
This is a regular occurence in Delhi due to the fog in winter. The government has decided that it is not a priority investment to upgrade the navigational aids (as far as I know there is no CAT III ILS) there nor are the major local airlines Indian Airlines/Jet Airways crew fully rated for these.
Unwillingness of rescheduling is more likely due to slot problems in Europe rather than any unwillingness of Indian Authorities as Jet Airways for eg has rescheduled most early morning departures from DEL by about two hours and adjusted their aircraft bases patterns accordingly.

jettison valve
6th Feb 2003, 18:38
rsoman, thank you for your reply.

Hmmm... Sounds like domestic aviation gives all the business travellers out of DEL a hard time when it comes to day trips...

The slot problem in Europe may be true; and I know that a lot of Indian pax transit to North America. But: What does a well refined schedule help you, if you regularily have to bust it due to fog in DEL...?

Cheers,
J.V.