PDA

View Full Version : Passed the pint of no return!

Capt BK
25th Jan 2003, 11:43
Well the ball is certainly rolling now!

Got told yesterday that my application for voluntary redundancy from my current employer has been accepted and i have been penciled in to leave sometime in Q4 this year! (But may get pushed back a few months) Hopefully I should have passed Mod 2 with Bristol by then so assuming I have enough hours in i'll be starting CPL + IR training.

Although I will get an excelent package from them :) that I will be able to put forward to help with funding I have to admit that a small lump has appeared in my throat as it dawns on my that its time to "put up or shut up".

Time to start visiting schools and making myself known in my local HSBC!

Give it another 13/14 months and there will be another unemployed fATPL joining the club!:D :D

MaximumPete
25th Jan 2003, 12:33
BK

Good luck with your course and don't give up, even if there seems to no chance of employment.

MP

Crepello
25th Jan 2003, 15:00
For the same reason, I'll be quitting the dayjob later this year. I've already penned two versions of the resignation letter. The first is the usual chapped-lips effort, vaguely reminiscent of an Oscar speech. The second is a brain-dump, offering innermost thoughts on the company, its people, their habits and their background.

If I send the first version, I could probably return in a couple of years. For this very reason, I'm tempted to send the second, much as Cortez burned his boats. Oh, so very tempted...

I reckon it'll be tough to break out of the comfort trap but sometimes, you have to live the dream. Good luck, Cap'n BK... I'll prob'ly see you down the jobcentre ;)

foghorn
25th Jan 2003, 21:37
I passed the pint of no return in the pub last night.

I'll get me coat...

High Wing Drifter
25th Jan 2003, 22:00
Well those pints that don't suddenly return are usually passed :D

no sponsor
26th Jan 2003, 10:38
Crepello,

I don't want to sound like yer mum, but don't burn your bridges: send the first note, and say how much you like everyone. You never know when you need them...

kabz
26th Jan 2003, 16:37
Good luck Capt BK and Crepello...

I'm kinda in the same boat myself, but just gonna push it as hard as I can to get commercial rated whilst still getting paid, then maybe take a leave of absence and have my job to come back to if it alls goes sour ... Made it to private/ir this far ...

Comfort Trap is a pretty good way to describe a nice office job you don't enjoy too much .... $$$ though :confused:

Capt BK
27th Jan 2003, 09:06
Thanks everyone, that lump in my throat has gone now and I just cant wait to be given my leaving date!

Crepello, I agree with no sponsor. Although there are some people i would love to have choice words with i'm determined not to upset anyone. You don't know who you'll need in the future, or who you'll meet in the pub in a drunken state like foghorn:D :D

Mintflavour
27th Jan 2003, 10:33
A scary moment Im sure. I am in one of those comfortable jobs, and currently studying the ground school ATPL stuff. I have already asked for unpaid leave when it comes to do the IR etc, but my boss has alread said no. Tight *******. So he will leave me no choice but to hand in my notice when the time comes. In the mean time I am trying to find another job which offers more holidays or a kinder boss. Though job searching while using your free time to study is not easy.

Anybody know any legal rights that I might have about taking unpaid leave?

If not, then mines a stella, cheers

Mint

foghorn
27th Jan 2003, 12:03
Comfort Trap is a good way to describe my situation at the moment, and it's hard to break out of the mentality...