PDA

View Full Version : To the Moderator

Linda Mollison
23rd Mar 2001, 13:13
There is a well-written response on one of the current threads on things to look for when choosing a flight school.

It strikes me that it would be useful if PPrune provided a couple of pages of independent advice on choosing a flight school as a permanent feature.

If it is of any help I have a list of (independent) questions I could provide.

e-mail me on profltuk.co.uk.

WWW, I heard you got a job, well done.

Linda Mollison
23rd Mar 2001, 13:27
It would help if I gave the right e-mail address!

Try [email protected]

L J R
23rd Mar 2001, 14:26
.... with a big [free] advertising plug for your outfit hey Linda??

This is a rumour network not an advertising forum.

Get in line with the other advertising companies and have you logo flashing on my computer screen by paying for it. Free advice is cool, but it should be from an independant outsider who has experienced the good and bad points of companies bidding for my valuable buck..[quid, peso, franc....]

Superfly
23rd Mar 2001, 15:07
you can go there :

www.avasp.com (http://www.avasp.com)

If found some interesting information, there is even a rating for few schools in the "Florida Jungle" and impartial advice .

Good luck, Superfly

Wee Weasley Welshman
23rd Mar 2001, 19:21
Linda - nice to hear from you and yes I have got a job. I might well stop by for a cup of tea if I'm passing.

As for your suggestion - I have placed a copy of the thread you mention in the Wannabes Archive for future reference.

I'd still be interested to see your questions and probably place them in the archive as well.

When (if) I get some free time I might create a guide or something. However, as part of a bigger project I am writing a book on the subject along the lines of the Clive Hughes Guide to Getting an ATPL or the Zero To First Officer effort.

Suggestions and ideas - as always - are most welcome on the forum.

Cheers

ps Linda my email is [email protected]

herniair
23rd Mar 2001, 23:40
The above web site is a discount directory- quote: 'Courtesy of AvAsp we have also negotiated a further discount of up to 5% over and above any published or non-published rates with these schools.'
In my experience- discounting=desparation.

Having made many enquiries about the Florida, North of England and Home Counties 'jungles', I conclude there is no such thing as impartial advice (see EFT & PANAM thread for examples!).

With the necessary ratings, a website, a portacabin and access to rented aircraft, anyone can become the 'World Academy of Flight Training', in Orlando, Biggin Hill or Leeds/Bradford. They can then backhand, give free hours to, or just 'buy a few beers' for recruiters who promote the merits of them/their training.

Even if the person who offers 'impartial advice' isn't secretly linked or paid in some way for courses they recommend, or the others they rubbish, it is all down to personal experience and ability. You can hear opposite views from two people who were on the same course at the same time at the same school ! I've also confronted schools about criticisms and discovered 'dissatisfied' customers had only told me their side of the story. Having heard the other side, it wasn't surprising that they had problems.

The only conclusion, so far, is not to go anywhere which hasn't been in business for at least five years, in the same place under the same ownership. You can confirm who's been around for a long time in back copies of Pilot etc. That doesn't mean they will be perfect, or 'right' for you, but it stands to reason that no school could survive that long without satisfying the majority of customers and meeting the regulatory requirements.

DouglasDigby
24th Mar 2001, 00:01
If such a "product" could be constructed carefully & without bias, I think that it would have some merit. Perhaps it would need to be split into geographical locations (USA, Australia, UK, etc), and it should be possible to include feedback (via a moderator?) from past/present students on the quality/value for money, etc, of the "schools" in question? Contrary to Herniair's thoughts on ratings, I'd go the other way, as if everyone were to publicly slate a company's performance/costs, they would soon lose a lot of business.

Whilst a fair deal of work to get set up, it might reduce some of the "where's the best place to ....." questions.

rolling circle
24th Mar 2001, 00:10
"The only conclusion, so far, is not to go anywhere which hasn't been in business for at least five years, in the same place under the same ownership.

What a ridiculous suggestion! If you used those criteria then you wouldn't consider Oxford and......er......hmmmmmm.....

herniair
25th Mar 2001, 04:00
I have no experience of 'Oxford' but, according to some on this forum , may be you shouldn't.
Anyway, smart ...., do you have any better suggestion for selection?