PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Nav Bags?

Trumpetter
25th Jan 2003, 06:08
Anyone out there know of places that sell cheap Nav Bags, preferably in Sydney? I know pilot shops quote them for around $100-$150 but understand this is simply an aviation mark-up. I've called a couple of general bag/luggage shops, including Victoria's Station and Luggageland but was hoping for some names of other places around the traps.

Any help appreciated.

Trump.

Islander Jock
25th Jan 2003, 06:56
G'day Trumpetter,

You are certainly on the right track going to the luggage shops. Many of them have a good range of cases in both vinyl and leather finishes.

For a decent quality vinyl bag you are going to pay over $100.00. I've seen cheaper but the quality and finish is reflected in the price.

Tinstaafl
25th Jan 2003, 16:21
Mine cost about $5.00 and it's the best one I've ever used. Much better than my old case.

I can sling it over my shoulder while I walk to the plane or store it in front of my seat with shoulder straps attached to the seat frame. It hold DAPs E & W, about half of Oz WACs, ERSA, headset and various other bits & pieces.

Of course it's not one of those black vinyl or leather case things. Damn site more convenient than those.

It's a second hand faded yellow canvas satchel from a disposal store. :p :D

Dave Incognito
25th Jan 2003, 22:27
I use a bag designed to hold a lap top computer. Heaps of handy pockets and carry straps but best of all it fits very nicely between the front seats of 210/206 etc (probably of no significance if you are flying big heavy stuff though...)

Cost $25 and is still going strong.

Max Range
27th Jan 2003, 03:41
It's not in Sydney, but if you know anyone flying into Moorabbin it's worth a trip to the Tosca factory outlet in Warrigal Rd, about 5-10 mins drive north of MB along Warrigal Rd. They sell a variety of such bags at factory prices, including some really cheap seconds with minor imperfections.

hurlingham
27th Jan 2003, 08:12
Try K Mart or Target.

Knulp
28th Jan 2003, 22:30
Seein as most of you young roosters aspire to sittin in a 737 if you are going to pay good money get a bag that opens at the top like the old doctors bags, theres not much room beside the seat and the cockpit wall to open a flaptop type bag.

the wizard of auz
29th Jan 2003, 05:47
try them white plastic bags you get from woolies when you buy ya two minute noodles. very flexible and cheap and easy to replace when they get a tad shabby. :D