PDA

View Full Version : Bahrain and the war

Jewel
25th Jan 2003, 05:58
I had an interview with Gulf Air a week ago and will find out this week if i was successful. People keep talking about Bahrain and the war.... Anyone based in Bahrain, work for Gulf Air or have any help about what i should do if offered a position? Should i be thinking twice about relocating there or am i over reacting?

Gnadenburg
25th Jan 2003, 06:26
Jewel

Overreacting.

The war will be over relatively quickly and the risk to Bahrain is the Scud missiles. These are terribly inacuurate and pack a small payload. Besides, Saddam will use his Scuds against Israel to try and unite the Arab world against the West.

A bigger risk to your health the sailors of the US Navy which abound in Bahrain. I suggest you find yourself a nice young Gulf F/O of Aussie origin.

Conchi
25th Jan 2003, 06:50
Gnadenburg: you should have choosen another username. I believe "Cassandra" would have been more appropriated! :rolleyes:
The question reveals a serious concern from a fellow ppruner, and your answer is childish and off topic.
I can see some sort of "hateful, threatening, unlawful, abusive" .... all those thingys we agree not to do when we register on PPRuNe.

qfmike737
25th Jan 2003, 12:12
The chances that Gulf air cabin crew in Bahrain would be in any danger from the war are very low....I wouldn't worry. I would personally feel safer in some place like Dubai or the arab emirates then I would in Sydney!

mutt
25th Jan 2003, 13:32
Qfmike,

Your comments are interesting considering the recent outbreak of rioting in Bahrain, I would say that there is a pretty good chance of attacks on any westerners in the Middle East following the start of a “WAR”.

Mutt.

phat boy
25th Jan 2003, 18:03
mutt,
I think qfmike from sunny Queensland is just having a shot at Sydney rather than making any intelligent comment on Bahrain.

Who can tell what it'll be like after war breaks out... anyway who wants to live forever...

Conchi
25th Jan 2003, 18:23
One ball, I understand Jewel was asking another kind of advice. I can't read in her post anything like "where's the best fresh meat market where I could shop for a young Aussie FO?"
She is already there anyway (Aussiland), so I assume she could have a better and wider selection than abroad :D
And why should he be Aussie? do they jump as kangooros? :p

qfmike737
25th Jan 2003, 22:33
I wasn't trying to have a go at Sydney! I was just trying to make a point that most people feel that Sydney is safe so they shouldn't feel any less safe if they are in Bahrain, Dubai or Qatar. The embassies and alot of tourist bureaus have listed these areas as very safe to visit as a tourist. In fact in The Courier Mail not long after Bali there was an article published ranking countries in order of threats/dangers to Westerners. At that time Dubai was ranked safer then Sydney. I forget the name and where the information for the table was from...but I'm sure a few net searches would find such rankings including Bahrain.

I've spent alot of time in Indonesia during many movements as an expat and I've found that as long as u have some way of leaving conflict areas quickly...there isn't an immediate threat....that's JUST my opinion anyway!

Peace out...

from

Mikey

ZZzzZZ
25th Jan 2003, 22:38
Will airlines not based in the Middle East fly crews out as soon as possible? I feel sorry for the European crews out there. I hear that company can't organise a p*** up in a brewery let alone a mass repatriation..

Gnadenburg
26th Jan 2003, 21:43
Conchi

Your sensitivity and naivity to my laconic use of humour toward a fellow countrymen is part of the reason the world is on fire. Humour and tolerance would go a long way in your region.

You are such a serious little thing how about we revisit the threat to Bahrain in more detail. It is either Scud missiles or domestic/foreign sponsoured acts of terrorism.

Iraq, in the event of war, has little capability to project force on Bahrain. The air force of Iraq is poorly trained and the air defence umbrella over Bahrain would make air attack an unlikely threat. Naval capability of Iraq similar. If you have no means of controlling the air or sea than Iraq's army poses little threat to Bahrain aswell.

This leaves the Scud missiles. As a conventional weapon they pose a threat to Bahrain. How many does Saddam have? With a combination of the following, limited number, a desire to attack Israel, coalition hunter-killer efforts probably not enough to do much more than inflict limited damage on Bahrain. I am not discounting a lucky shot though.

One Ball may have overstated the chem/bio/nuclear threat of Iraq's Scud missiles. The integration of a chemial or bioligical package on a Scud is difficult and hopefully as 91 proved, beyond Iraq. Though Iraqs nuclear programme is advanced(?) the integration of a nuclear warhead on a Scud difficult again.

How difficult it is it to make a dirty Scud? Packing a Scud with radioactive material and launching it at Tel Aviv is not by itself a Doomsday scenario. The Israeli response in the current climate may well be though!

Somebody else can talk about the domestic threats to Bahrain.

There you have it. Make up your own mind. There is lots of info out there so don't rely on the man on the street style info. Most is exaggerated.

Conchi, by your last remarks you sound as though a lady lavished with gifts, jewells and gold. The US Navy threat may not be of much relevance to you.

Jewel
27th Jan 2003, 12:57
Thanx for your help you guys but im still so confused! Ive asked many people and it seems everyone has such mixed opinions on this. "Of course its dangerous. Its a war!" to "No way. Dont stress about it you''ll be fine".
Is it worth it? Do Gulf Air treat you well enough?
At present i stand very much 50/50 on going. I really want this job but....Damn war!:mad:

BahrainLad
27th Jan 2003, 15:28
The future war (if it ever occurs) will be very much shorter than the Gulf War. The Iraqi armed forces are a shadow of their former selves and even in 1991 they surrendered in a matter of days. The US plan to lob 300-400 Tomahawks per day onto there will positions will break them, and fast.

The main threat is the Scud. However, I read in the Times the other week that the US/UK believe that only 20-30 missiles exist. I would put money on these being launched against Israel (Saddam going out with a bang so to speak) rather than at a fellow Arab state, no matter how much the latter is allied to the United States. In any case, the Patriot anti-missle system is installed in Bahrain (see the GDN last week) and is vastly superior to the version operating in 1991 (when it had been hastily converted from an anti-aircraft to an anti-missle system with a corresponding drop in effectiveness).

As for domestic political disturbances, these are unlikely to prove much of a threat. The Security Service in Bahrain has always run a very tight ship. It may have been 'relaxed' due to democratic reforms last year but after the disturbances over New Year's, I would imagine was now operating at full strength - especially with a war coming. Westerners will be protected against any violence, that you can be assured of. With Bahrain's new focus on tourism, Westerners are prized assets and the King has made it clear that he will not tolerate anything that damages Bahrain's international reputation.

If it's anything like the first war, the Airport will be closed for a few days, aircraft rerouted and a lot of young, tough American men wandering about. But it's going to be over very quickly indeed.

Xenia
27th Jan 2003, 18:29
Gnadenburg, I think Conchi's replies was more "humor" than anything else.
You weren't a proper gent in your reply! :o
I understand it is a serious matter (who doesn't?) But please keep life shining and accept a joke ;)
As far as I can read she/he (?) was never abusive towards any member, and just carried on a joke (that someone else started) about young F/O's of Aussie origin.

Gnadenburg
28th Jan 2003, 05:44
Xenia

You kidding?

Re-read Conchi's fourth line, initial post.

One Ball noted a harsh tone from Conchi too.

I explained the situation seriously and, in a very Australian way, ended with humour toward the US Navy and stated, tongue in cheek, she would be better dating Aussies.

Ungentlemanly?

I dispute this as only a lady can recognise a gentleman- just kidding warrior princess.

ozskipper
28th Jan 2003, 07:20
Jewel....

I wouldn't worry about it....

At the end of the day, we're at risk anywhere in the world, even in Australia (surely you've seen the incredibly informative Be Aware campaign! lol).

Air security is tighter these days, and statistically speaking you've more chance of being run over by a bus than something dramatic like a war related event.

I think your only concern should be the cultural and lifestyle change (which I think is terribly exciting anyway).

Good luck..... And I think its Gulf Air crew that wear the "I dream of Jeanie" hats.... if so, they're so cute! :D

Cheers
Skipper

Jewel
28th Jan 2003, 21:32
I agree with you! This is what i try to tell people and the way that i see it. I have much more chance of dying from a car accident. Yet i get in a car everyday to go to work.
Im not really worried about it. I think maybe now people trying to convince me not to go is only making me want to go more.
But thanx for the encouragement.

P.s. Yep gota love those Genie hats :p

daisydaze
29th Jan 2003, 06:19
Jewel go for it!!

Remember how long you have wanted to be an F/A, this is a great opportunity. Having worked for Gulf myself, and one British, and now an Australian airline - I can honestly say, just like all airlines it has it's good and bad days/managers/pax - but there is still a good number of Aussie girls working for them enjoying the very social life Bahrain has to offer. My advice go, save your money - make the most of TAX FREE dinars and have a great time.
On the war/safety issue, commonsense prevails, Bahrain has experienced riots recently, non arab women were attacked - having said that, be aware of the situations going on in the country you live in and remain a safe distance from hotspots.. Bahrain is small - any trouble and everyone is aware of where it is.
Good ex pat community Aussies, Brits, Yanks etc etc you will have no problem meeting people and making friends.

Good luck, enjoy yourself

flyblue
29th Jan 2003, 20:55
Would you please care to explain what you mean by that one ball?

Thank you.

killick
30th Jan 2003, 04:46
Just a word from a regional resident.....

As far as can be discerned the Bahrain riot on New Year's Eve was a one-off and apparently random in its targets. Thus, while some westerners may have been unfortunate to get caught up in it, it is difficult to see it as anti-western when the principal targets appear to have been cars with Saudi number plates. The most likely conclusion is that it was a bunch of young bloods letting off steam under a variety of pretexts rather than the manifestation of anything more sinister. I hope so - I'm going to Bahrain this weekend!!

In general, expat communities seem pretty calm - there is no rush for the exit, even from the historically more skittish sections of the community. In Qatar, where I live, there have been no reported instances of anti-western actions, and I would feel equally comfortable in Bahrain. Much of the problem exists in the ever-fertile minds of the media, who are desperate to have something to reporton and show pictures of - peace & quiet doesn't sell advertising space.

My wife flew for Gulf from 79-86, during which time we had the Iranian revolution, Iran-Iraq (Saddam was the good guy then), and an active Libya to contend with. None of us felt especially threatened then, and life in the Gulf is more relaxed now than it was then. Gulf Air has had some well-publicised problems recently, but it seems to have got a decent CEO and is on the road to recovery at last.

Jewel, at the end of the day you must make your own call on what is or is not an acceptable level of background risk, but if it were me, I would be happy to go.

Best of luck.