PDA

View Full Version : pa34 Crash Acherfield Airport?

gmallard
25th Jan 2003, 02:58
Heard of a Seneca 3 Crashed on landing at Archerfield after bouncing 6-7ft high 3-4 times of it's nose wheel before it gave way and folded. Aircraft looks quite bad.:cool: :cool:

Jamair
25th Jan 2003, 12:39
Haven't heard about that one; interesting though, when I was considering which twin to buy I looked long and hard at some Sneakers. Went to the NTSB data base and checked out all the sneaker prangs for the last 10 years to see if there were any trends, and boy a lot of them have gotten away in landings! Will keep an eye on the bin-liner; I'm sure there will be plenty of 'Near Disaster' and 'Yet another Archerfield Death-Plunge' stories........:rolleyes:

Knulp
25th Jan 2003, 22:34
My CAT could land a Seneca.

olderbutyzer
25th Jan 2003, 23:14
I'm surprised that it was a Seneca 3 - a Seneca 1 I could really believe. I've seen some shocking landings (arrivals) in Seneca 1's over the years.

One never LANDS in a Seneca 1 - one ARRIVES!

Fission
27th Jan 2003, 01:11
I concur - If you see a S-1 grease it on, then you know that it's loaded out of the aft c-of-g !

Flame jacket on !

Pinky the pilot
29th Jan 2003, 04:03
Concur with the previous comments re the Seneca 1. Can anyone remember the story about someone trying to land a Seneca 1 that was mentioned in the 'On the Airbands' section of the 'Australian Aviation' magazine a couple of years back? Apparently he accidently depressed the transmit button at the time he commented on how heavy the elevator was.:o

gmallard
30th Jan 2003, 12:15
Ive seen some greasers in a seneca 1 and also some complete arrivalls. But this one believe it or not was a seneca 3 with a RAAF guy? VH PZP bouched heaps b4 nose wheel was decapatated.

Ang737
31st Jan 2003, 04:06
Sure the RAAF guy didn't think he was flying a Caribou and doing the famous wheelbarrow landing

Ang ;)

Woomera
31st Jan 2003, 06:20
So that's where good 'ol PZP is nowadays, there's a tale or two in that there thingumbob.:)

Jamair
31st Jan 2003, 11:01
:D CARN Woomera; spill yer guts!!;)

Seriously but; check out the PA34-200 prangs on the NTSB site - BULK landing stuff-ups. Only got 30-some hrs in a sneaker myself but I never found them THAT hard to land. 'Praps due to the number of them used in intial twin training over there?

(nice new icons too BTW:= )

Ivan Itchibum
1st Feb 2003, 03:38
Land em by dumping the flaps!!

Easy

Desert Flower
4th Feb 2003, 03:13
Oh no! I saw this aircraft back in December. It had suffered some damage to the right side main gear.

DF

Gwojei
10th Feb 2003, 02:21
To snap the nosewheel off is a fair effort, having seen my fair share of Chinese students test the structural integrity of Pipers nosewheel workmanship. They are tough...

zlin77
11th Feb 2003, 03:15
Obviously the family line of PA 34 to PA 30 is very strong, has anyone worked out a landing technique for a Twin Commanche that will satisfy the average pilots ego?

Menen
11th Feb 2003, 12:05
Senecas used for training invariably are operated outside the forward C of G limit because the operator cannot be bothered to provide suitable ballast and tie down points. With two up front, and beyond the forward CG limit, the Seneca is dangerously nose heavy. Some pilots counteract the subsequent heavy control column loading by not using full flap and by approaching well above flight manual approach speed. :*

cubl
23rd Feb 2003, 04:54
After flying a range of light twins, I have found the best way to fly the aircraft is to ask a highly experienced pilot how to do it. READ THE MANUAL.