PDA

View Full Version : Broadband special offer!

PPRuNe Pop
24th Jan 2003, 17:46
No harm in telling those interested in ADSL, that Pipex are offering Broadband at £23.44 per month (inc VAT) with a free modem and two free micro filters plus free activation and free installation.

I have a modem so I signed up for their second offer which includes the above without the modem and filters but with the THIRD month free.

Only one month contract too.

Like I say, I think that it is worth letting you know because it is a serious benefit to PPRuNers if you are thinking broadband.

wub
24th Jan 2003, 19:14
Sounds like a good offer. I'm getting seriously pi$$ed of with BT spending millions advertising broadband when I live in an area that doesn't have an enabled exchange. Why can't they spend the money making the service available to all?

touch&go
24th Jan 2003, 21:59
wub

I think you will find that Pipex and other service providers use BT's equipment and exchanges, so if your BT exchange isn't ready then other provider can not give you a service.

spekesoftly
24th Jan 2003, 23:46
I have to sympathise with wub. I am seriously concerned that by the time BT enable my local exchange for ADSL, broadband will be obsolete!! :( ;)

PPRuNe Pop
26th Jan 2003, 12:16
Sadly 'tis true! You cannot have broadband unless BT has made ADSL available at your particular exchange. It is also true that BT are seriously aware that this shortcoming within their house causes much ado.

They have, therefore, in a lot of areas, made it known that if 400-450 people register their specific interest in broadband they will make it available. You will need to enquire at your exchange to find out the answer to that one.

By logging on to a broadband ISP you can do a quick check to see if your exchange has it already.

For me! I get connected on Wednesday. Sorry, I am not gloating - just pleased :D

wub
26th Jan 2003, 13:03
Thanks guys, I'm aware of the registration for ADSL and did it months ago but there still aren't enough 'votes' for BT to upgrade the exchange.

The other thing that bugs me is that every week there is at least one mail shot drops through my door urging me to sign up to Blue Yonder, yet we don't even have cable in this area! It's not as if I live on the moon, I'm only eight miles outside Scotland's capital city :mad:

spekesoftly
26th Jan 2003, 22:39
After a particular exchange has reached its trigger level, BT require ISPs to convert at least 75% of pre-registrations into firm orders before they will enable the local exchange. Some 388 exchanges have recently had their required trigger levels lowered. However, some of the more rural exchanges have yet to be set any trigger level by BT, mine included. :(

Danny
30th Jan 2003, 16:46
Interesting that BT will require 75% conversion of interest into firm orders before they will convert the exchange even if it reaches the required trigger level. I would have thought that it is pointless ordering it is it still isn't available.

My exchange trigger recently was lowered from 400 to 350 and as of today we are just 21 short! I wouldn't trust BT as far as I could throw them as they are dirty rip-off bunch of scumbags, especially their marketing department and internet division. All I need now is for them to tell me that although my exchange has reached the trigger level they won't actually be doing anything about it for another six months to a year.

They inundate you with advertising about how good their broadband is yet they throw in all the requirements that prevent anyone from actually obtaining the service. Two faced and typical of the lying excrement that is BT.

If I had another option where I live I know that I would change tomorrow but being in a rural area I have no choice.:*

wub
31st Jan 2003, 08:14
How do I find out what the trigger level is? The BT website only says my exchange's trigger level has been set, it doesn't quantify it.

Couldn't we e-mail each other a few telephone numbers and addresses out of each other's local directories and try to bump up the registrations of interest? ;)

spekesoftly
31st Jan 2003, 16:25
wub

Try this:-

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

wub
31st Jan 2003, 16:50
Doh! :* 52% (182 out of 350 required) :{

gas path
31st Jan 2003, 19:04
Whilst on the subject of broadband, I currently use AOL and signed up for their BB package (free modem etc). However on setting it all up, no 'link' light avail on the modem, after a lot of head scratching it turns out that my phone connection for the pc is too far away from the primary phone socket (some 30 mtrs of cable some of it buried in the wall).
So be aware incase you have a similar setup.
All credit to the staff at AOL though, all freephone customer service and tech help with only a 4 min wait listening to Shania Twain.
Only downside I'm back on narrowband :(

spekesoftly
5th Feb 2003, 11:24
Just noticed the following:-

Oftel's January 2003 ADSL Factsheet

Broadband Registration Scheme: "BT has decided to remove the 42 day confirmation process from its registration scheme. Once trigger levels are met and confirmed by BT, work will begin to upgrade the exchange"

If I understand this correctly, it hopefully means that my earlier comment about converting 75% interest in to firm orders no longer applies. Good news for those whose local exchanges are at, or approaching, their trigger levels.

Cornish Jack
5th Feb 2003, 18:21
Danny
I sort of get a feeling that you are not best pleased with those nice people at BT but I think you'll have to get off the fence and tell it like it really is!! :D :D :D
gas path
I've been considering the aol setup but given their 'iffy' narrowband service, I have mega reservations. Have you, or has anyone out there got any useful words of wisdom, please?

PPRuNe Pop
5th Feb 2003, 20:34
Well, like I said. Pipex are doing a deal at the moment for £23.44 per month inclusive of: Modem, 2 micro filters, activation and installation. The second offer, if you have your own modem, which I do, is for £23.44 per month and you buy the filters but activation and installtion is still free. Then in this deal you get the third month free. You get 12 e-mail addresses, 50mb of webspace too.

I am delighted with it. It shows that I am connected at 576kbps and downloads are a breeze. I leave it on all the time. No problems at all after a week.

In the interest of PPRuNers getting a good deal I posted this because I have done it. I certainly wouldn't go for BT at all. I just do not trust them.

Lost_luggage34
12th Feb 2003, 06:15
Well some light at the end of the tunnel ; trigger levels are being brought down at certain exchanges.

Not before time in my opinion. BT were trialling a new 16 port Alcatel box to enable more remote exchanges to be ADSL enabled at an affordable cost. What they dictate as affordable is very questionable of course.

This is the box (I-MUX, DSLAM or whatever you want to call it) that aggregates all the ADSL traffic up from consumer lines into the exchange on to the BT backbone. Seems that some good has come out of the trials.

It has taken far too long. However, regardless of which ISP you sign up with, chances are you will still require a BT line into your residence. Even if you have cable it's only at far as the nearest BT exchange. So much for not still having a monopoly !

I still think that the BT backbone and gateways have too many bottlenecks and reliability issues. Something of course, that they will never admit too whilst still taking your hard earned cash !

Danny
12th Feb 2003, 13:47
Yup, my exchange was triggered last week and build has started. Hopefully in about 6 weeks I should be able to experience an improvement in access times.

I have signed up with Nildram based on the reports from the ADSL Guide website (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/). As I am currently on BT HomeHighway ISDN incurr the extra charge of having my line converted back to PSTN and then over to ADSL. The charge is about £50 which Nildram organise with BT and provided the conversion goes OK that's it. If it doesn't work then they put me back on ISDN and refund all charges as do Nildram for their connection fee.

According to Nildram, because I am an Apple Mac user I have to use an ethernet router instead of a USB modem but I am not sure. I know that using a router is slightly better because of CPU cycles being assigned to the USB port causing a very slight degradation but apart from that I cannot see the need for their requirement. Academic really anyway as I planned on using a router because I can share the line between two computers.

Anyone else got any experiences on changing to broadband they'd care to share?

ck4707
12th Feb 2003, 15:01
Danny

Have been using broadband from Bt for about 8 months. No problems at all (honest !!!), simple to install using USB,very fast downloads etc. and reliable. Currently have two PCs linked together (the price one pays for having three kids !) and Internet Connection Sharing without the ned for a hub or router.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Tosh McCaber
13th Feb 2003, 21:44
Has anyone tried Gio Internet- only £18.99/ month? It’s been advertising this price for several months now. However, since the BT wholesale price to other ISPs is something like £15/ month, how long can they keep this price, before having to put up prices (or go bust?)

touch&go
14th Feb 2003, 23:35
Just started my third year of ASDL, and boy it's dam good, only had problems in the first 4 months, but have had happy motoring ever since.

Can't believe a smokey northern town having ADSL for so long.
:p :p

Heliport
16th Feb 2003, 10:36
Tosh - Gio gets bad reports, but no personal experience.

I chose Nildram, based upon reviews on ADSL Guide. (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/)
They dealt with BT and co-ordinated my change-over from Home Hi-way ISDN - wonderful not to have to deal with BT!
Nildram's Customer Support is said to be excellent - they told me my first modem (bought separately) wasn't working properly but, with that exception, I've not had to call them.
My only mistake was buying a very cheap modem - I fell for the 'just as good as the main brands' sales patter. Wrong! I changed to US Robotics, was online with e-mails set up in less than half an hour, and no problems since.

noblues
25th Feb 2003, 12:08
The Pipex deal with free modem + filters seems the best around at the moment. Plus their speed tests at www.adslguide.org.uk are the same as Nildram.

Nildram wan't £30 setup costs, but for the same dosh (well, £23) with Pipex you also get the modem plus 2 micro filters thrown in for free .....

Anyone had any bad experiences with Pipex ?

I guess 1Mb connections will soon be the norm, but suppose ISP's will upgrade when that becomes the norm .....

Hopefully 512 connection should be an improvement on my 56K modem !

spekesoftly
25th Feb 2003, 17:42
A colleague recently went for the Pipex ADSL deal, and he seems happy.

Initially he had problems with the internet connection dropping out whenever the telephone was used. Turned out to be a faulty batch of microfilters, which Pipex replaced pdq.

subload
3rd Mar 2003, 23:14
Regarding Pipex... cannot fault them. Good connection and on line for as long as you want. Will never go back to dial-up and you can keep your old e-mail address if you know how to configure your pc. Got to be one if not the best avail at the moment. Plus if you recomend a friend you get 1 month free......let me know!!

noblues
4th Mar 2003, 08:35
Signed up with Pipex last week, have only heard good things about them ....

Will let you know when its up and running in a few days ....

PPRuNe Pop
4th Mar 2003, 18:45
I have had Pipex for coming up to 4 weeks now, and although I had a couple of problems at the beginning they were MY problems and not theirs. Their help and attitude was brilliant. The phone was answered within a minute or two.

No problems whatsoever and I am delighted. Their service is all that I hoped it would be. 576kbps everytime!

I recommend them.

Lost_luggage34
4th Mar 2003, 19:35
Moving back to South Manchester in the next week or so.

Local exchange (within 20 miles of M'cr) trigger level only 77%.

Hurrumph - back to good old analogue dial-up - am I displeased ?

It'll be like having a limb removed !! (No offence intended)

amanoffewwords
4th Mar 2003, 19:47
Lost_luggage:

can't agree when you say that Even if you have cable it's only at far as the nearest BT exchange. =.

I have Telewest cable which has it's own independent fibre optic network, separate from BT. I know because the Telewest CEO was on working lunch (BBC2) last year explaining how much they have invested in and how it would take x number of years to recoup the investment costs. Their site confirms this: This network, built entirely from scratch over the past decade

Can't fault them for service - it's been 99.9% reliable for as long as I remember. And one key different I like is that the modem they provide you with belongs to them so if it breaks, they fix it, if you regular broadband modem breaks the onus tends to be on you.

And they're got their usual half-price installation promotion at the moment - 25GBP!

amofw

Flybywyre
6th Mar 2003, 18:11
I've just signed up for Broadband with Freeserve. I have been using them for 3 years and had an excellent service (I know others haven't) on the "Freeserve Anytime" option. I had an Email from them yesterday informing me that if I wanted to sign up for Broadband before sometime in April, All the filters and Modem would be free (normally £84). So I did, and when I got home this afternoon it was all there waiting for me, special delivery left at the back door as I wasn't in. Connected it all up but my BT line will not be "Broadband enabled" until next week. Monthly cost is £27.99. Looking forward to some speedy Ppruning next week.

Evo
7th Mar 2003, 07:45
I have had Pipex for coming up to 4 weeks now, and although I had a couple of problems at the beginning they were MY problems and not theirs. Their help and attitude was brilliant. The phone was answered within a minute or two.

I've been with Pipex for around 18 months, and had to call their support for the first time last weekend. Excellent support - phone answered after one ring, and I spoke to two competent techies. Would definitely recommend them, but I've also heard nothing but good things about Nildram too.

Danny - a router is handy for sharing an ADSL connection between more than one computer. This isn't always necessary - Macs manage to do this very well by themselves, and, as normal, Windows does slightly less well with ICS ;).

However, a router is a nice thing to have. You do not need to keep the computer with the modem switched on to share the connection, if you use wireless then the WAP just plugs into the router, and also some protocols are not supported correctly by ICS or the Mac equivalent (e.g. I need IPSec Passthru - their spelling, not mine :rolleyes: - to log in to work via a VPN, so I use a router to share the connection). If you aren't doing anything obscure then a normal ADSL modem should be fine :)

Ronbmy
7th Mar 2003, 12:34
Been using NTL broadband - 600k - for over a year and had no problems. It may help being within 1 mile of NTLs South Manchester facility - 2m north egcc.

Cost £25 pm.

The pc does not get turned off so installed firewall software - BlackIce - excellent. It was amazing to see how many cretins try to get into your pc over a 24 hour period and this kept them all out.

After 3 months networked the house so now have 3 computers on the system - 2 running all day.
To make life easier bought a US Robotics router - with built in firewall - and spent 5 minutes to configure it. Easy.

Using a router with multiple pcs appears to the provider as 1 pc only.

Also use other software to stop spyware/ads etc but thats another story for a rainy day.

:O

Flybywyre
7th Mar 2003, 18:08
All up and running now, 576,000bps. I also added a further 256kb of memory, the combination of the two is great......going like a rocket !! The memory arrived today so the whole thing was completed in less than 48 hours. Very pleased.
Regards
FBW

Lost_luggage34
7th Mar 2003, 21:13
Thanks amanoffewwords - was not aware of that.

Been involved in rolling out fibre all over Europe for the past few years. Then IT took a dive. So a tad out of touch I guess.

Crossedcontrols
8th Mar 2003, 15:42
Have had NTL 500K broadband 25 £/month (upgraded FOC to 600K) for about two years. Great at first but suspected high contention with the rest of the street, bit the bullet and went for 1 meg (35 quid per month). Absolutely brilliant, consistantly 1Mbit transfers. Have a LINKSYS router, two PCs and a laptop connected plus a teenage son who seem to back up the entire internet every evening. The NTL support has to be the worst on the planet, even worse than O2 and the GAS board.

CC

Unwell_Raptor
8th Mar 2003, 22:28
I have used Pipex ADSL for about a year now. Very few problems, fixed quickly. The MD even posts an apology sometimes!

noblues
13th Mar 2003, 09:04
Now have Pipex broadband connected -
Excellent 576Kbps connection - great customer service, their web site and emails kept me informed of the BT line conversion date and setup details.

Using their supplied Speed Touch 330 modem and micro filters, installation was effortless.

Pipex so far have been a very efficient company to deal with and at the cheapest of £23pcm and a reliable connection I don't think you can go far wrong.

Can't recommend them enough .....

Tartan Giant
14th Mar 2003, 21:29
PIPEX for me

Like a few guys here, I have gone for PIPEX.........and I am delighted, 576k every time.......it's brilliant.

Why I waited so long to go Broad Band I don't know - no turning back.

Cheers

TG

sky9
15th Mar 2003, 07:08
P Pop
You are using BT whether you like it or not. I am sure that the Pipex price looks good and am tempted however I am aware that they are charging what appears to be less than cost.

I have been on BT Broadband for some 3 years now. After ironing out the problems at the beginning it seems pretty solid. The only problem comes when there is a fault at the exchange they always feel it is better to spend 30 minutes with me making sure that it is not my system first.
I too have found that the connection rate is now 576kbps. I just wish that Symantec could keep up witheir gizmos in Systemworks to display BB speeds.

PPRuNe Pop
15th Mar 2003, 17:37
It has always been obvious that the line belongs to BT. I pay the quarterly line rental charge.

However, I defy you to tell me what BT's cost price is. Or how you can qualify what Pipex get it for. They wouldn't say - and BT having been screwing their customers for years.

Pipex are nearly £5 a month cheaper than BT. Pipex have also been in business for a lot of years.

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Mar 2003, 18:50
Demon rocks.

I have been on Blueyonder with NTL and BT Broadband. Neither touches Demon

http://www.demon.net/adsl/consumer.html

Its £25 a month. Buy your own Modem and microfilter for £40 and you are off. Their technical support helpline is simply faultless.

In addition - and here is the killer punch - they give you a static IP address.

Which is obviously a useful thing.

amanoffewwords
15th Mar 2003, 21:53
I know I'm being pedantic but Blueyonder is a Telewest product.

I like the fact that they own the cable modem they provide you with hence if it breaks they have to fix it, and their technical support is also very good.

BT once had to install a new line for our neighbours...so they disconnected ours because they "thought" we weren't using it. The less I have to do with them the better..

Evo
16th Mar 2003, 06:49
I am sure that the Pipex price looks good and am tempted however I am aware that they are charging what appears to be less than cost.

Nope. Wholesale cost to the ISP is around £15/pm (see http://www.adslguide.org.uk) - Pipex cost £20/pm + VAT :)

You may have got confused with the activation charge, which is £25 I think (was more when I joined), or you may not... ;)

PPRuNe Pop
16th Mar 2003, 15:46
Please look at my original post on page 1.

No-one beats the offer Pipex are doing now. Actually they have TWO offers - each very attractive.

Bigears
17th Mar 2003, 11:49
PPRuNe Pop,
I have now had PIPEX for a week.
Installation was effortless. I had to phone tech support once and the phone was answered within 5 seconds.
I'm well pleased.
Thanks! :D :ok:

spannersatcx
20th Mar 2003, 11:01
Regarding Pipex... cannot fault them. Good connection and on line for as long as you want. Will never go back to dial-up and you can keep your old e-mail address if you know how to configure your pc. Got to be one if not the best avail at the moment. Plus if you recomend a friend you get 1 month free......let me know!!

Subload could you enlighten me on how to do this please?:O

Engineer
22nd Mar 2003, 18:10
Agree with comments about pipex had the service for about 8 months before moving home.

But now AOL have throw in the modem pack and connection for free so should be a good deal to go for.

Fokkerwokker
29th Mar 2003, 03:03
Just upgraded to Pipex Broadband. Couldn't connect to start with and must say Pipex helpline very good. Problem eventually tracked down by BT to a cable in my house. BT bloke super helpful. Can't say more as don't want to drop him in the dwang ;)

Now all I have to do is figure out how to set up a wireless connection to the other puter in the house:confused:

OzPax1
5th May 2003, 00:53
Been on Pipex ADSL Extreme service for two weeks now....! No way will I go back to Dial up now. Having ADSL changes the way you use your PC and the internet, at least it has for me. Just listening to a Moby track I downloaded from Kazaa (I use the Kazaa Lite version as it Doesn't have the spyware). :D

Basil
10th Jun 2003, 19:29
Pipex are charging £69 connection fee. Was connection free before?
Anyone have experience of the global roaming capability of Pipex Dial?

PPRuNe Pop
11th Jun 2003, 03:39
Yes it was free. But I guess all good packages like this run out eventually.

However, I think their Extreme package is still good with a £29 activation fee. The third month is free. I still think it is the best deal around.

I bought my own filters and modem and got everything else free. The service is brilliant, and have never had a moments cause for concern.

I have recommended two people to Pipex and I got another two months free!