PDA

View Full Version : student visa: You need 'em for ratings - but what about ...

mattpilot
24th Jan 2003, 17:39
Okay, by now we all know you need a student visa for a license or addional ratings, but what about endorsements (on existing FAA licenses).

I'm talking about High performance, Complex, High altitude & Tail dragger endorsements.

The school i went to only offered complex endorsements. would i have to get an additional visa (or extend the existing one) to include a second school which offers any of the other endorsements? - if thats even possible. Also, the school offers trips to OKC to get a high altitude endorsement, but the school itself is not doing the program. Would i be excluded from that 'outing' since my visa doesn't include the FAA facility in OKC?

FYI: i don't have a visa yet, but if i were to get one, would i have to add all those schools - if thats even possible to add multiply schools.

Also, i have the opportunity to get a tail dragger endorsement from an instructor not associated with a flight school - could i do that?

thanks for any comments

pilotwolf
24th Jan 2003, 18:46
On similar lines what about just taking a checkride?

ie. Have the hours required and passed the written exam within past 2 years - can I take the actual checkride without student visa?

Tried embassy and gave up when I couldn't seem to get across what a checkride was, (as apposed to a checkout for SLH). I think the stock answer was meant to mean we don't know but its a rating so yes, but if you aren't studying for it then no...

pittss2b
25th Jan 2003, 00:07
No student visas are required for a course of 6 months or less in CANADA. Not for licences, not for ratings, not for hour building, not for anything under 6 months. Better rates. Better training. Better people. With NO paperwork hassels....and guess what :-) I run a school in Canada!

Adam

You want to advertise on Pprune, you pay the rates like everyone else. :mad:

Scroggs

Facts Not Fiction Pls
26th Jan 2003, 15:58
A training Visa is needed when you are training towards a licence, rating or certificate.

Therefore is you are merely getting complex/high performance time, as you are considered a pilot, you may complete these experiences as a P1 pilot, therefore no visa is required.

mattpilot
26th Jan 2003, 22:35
i guess that makes sense -

thank you very much

Nigel76
29th Jan 2003, 04:51
As long as you are not going to the US to learn to fly (training in any form) you do not need a Visa and can get in without any trouble on the Visa waiver program. Once in the US if you just happen to spot a flight school that seems like excelent value you can fly there and no one will care. Some people say this is not a good idea but I have gone from a PPL to an instructor and have never had any trouble. I even told the immigration officer at LAX that I only planned to stay for a month but may extend my trip to do a bit of flying and he turned out to be a PPL holder and told me some nice airports to fly into. It is all hyped up far more than it needs to be. Obviously if you are from a country on Americas bad side you may have problems.

Facts Not Fiction Pls
29th Jan 2003, 23:17
All I can say Nigel is that you were very lucky!

I wouldn't want to chance it especially in the current climate!

Crepello
30th Jan 2003, 06:26
Nigel, I infer that your experience was some time ago. The VWP was altered several months ago, and no longer applies to trips longer than 30 days.

The mood's a bit different nowadays...

Seaweed Knees
19th Mar 2003, 19:24
The visa waiver programme is still good for 90 days.

Facts Not Fiction Pls
19th Mar 2003, 23:35
Advertising that you're training on a Visa Waiver is not a bright thing to do especially in this climate! The Ins does not care for people laughing in their faces!

Good luck with the training......I think you need it!:}

kala87
24th Mar 2003, 13:35
I'm probably going to work in the US for a month in Houston (not aviation related). I'm thinking of doing the FAA IR while I'm over there. So, I'll need to obtain an M-1 visa and complete a copy of form DS156. Am I right in saying that this form has to be filled in by the flight school that I hope to train with, and must be submitted to the US Embassy along with my M-1 application?

The problem is, I won't know how much time I have available until I have been working over there for a few days at least. Also, I am hoping to investigate the choice of local flight schools after I have arrived in the US. So, getting the visa and DS156 completed before I leave the UK is going to be impossible.

Surely, it's possible to get the required security clearance to train for a rating after one has arrived in the US, even if it means waiting for a couple of weeks to get all the paperwork completed? Or is this just wishful thinking? Maybe the system just doesn't allow for this?

aztruck
30th Mar 2003, 04:58
Whoever wants a taildragger/high altitude etc etc endorsement, this can all be done over here in the UK by an Faa instructor, you dont need to go Stateside.