PDA

View Full Version : Books for ATPL

the kebabman
24th Jan 2003, 17:19
I am off to start my atpl in Jerez in February, and have put a couple of hundred aside for the purchase of books/notes. Can anyone suggest any? and if anyone has been through or is in Jerez, and knows of any weakness in teaching certain subjects they may have, I would like to supplement the teaching with my own books. Any suggestions? I'm currently reading Mike Wickson's Met., good book- very hard to understand (I suppose i'd better get used to that!)

Cheers all, kababman

Dean Johnston
26th Jan 2003, 09:08
Donner,

I've used 'Keith Williams' books, although not strictly books more Q&A 's (large folders with 1000 Q&A and very good explanations) I got mine from Pilot Warehouse.

Keith if you read this pop your address up, I can't lay my hands on it.

D.J.

D McQuire
26th Jan 2003, 12:30
kebabman,

Wouldn´t worry too much about buying books to bring with you to Jerez. I´m here in Jerez and so far I´ve been through Phase 1 (Met, AGK, POF, Mass and Balance, Nav and Radio Nav) and managed all (89% av!) pretty much on the notes provided. I did what you did and bought the Wickson book before I came down here. It is an excellent book but to be honest I never got past chapter 2 before I arrived. Met is a huge subject and I dont know how anyone could study it on their own. I found the new BAE Met notes consistently excellent.

At the end of the day all of the hard work of researching the JAA subject requirements has been done by the college teachers here. Their notes, the piles of exam feedback provided and lots and lots of your study and revision will get you there.

Before I arrived I got talking to an Airtours cadet who was in the college. He advised me to not bother studying the subjects before I arrived and just keep my mind clear for the intensive hard slog that is Phase 1. He was right. It is bloody hard work but worth it :) :) . Now I can relax and enjoy the flying. And what glorious flying it is here too just at the moment. Right now sunny, sunny and oh yes sunny. Not particularly warm right now but hey it is January. There is a 10 to 20 kts wind most afternoons but it is almost straight down the runway so even a muppet like me can handle that!

See you in Feb.