View Full Version : PFL Question

blind pue
24th Jan 2003, 16:11
In the UK when carrying out forced landings we are taught (whenever possible) to land into wind. Having survived a couple of these I always found that it made good sense.

I am currently across the pond on the west coast and each day I see Blackhawks and Seahawks practicing forced landings. The field I am on has currently 4 of the worlds largest windsocks, yet even with this very clear indication of the wind direction that the 4 Blimps offer, the 'hawks' land about 90 degrees off wind, I thought that maybe it is a tail rotor thing but as it does not seem to matter wether the wind is from the right or left I am not sure.

My question is why and do the Yanks know something we don't. :cool:

Pub User
24th Jan 2003, 20:57
An interesting question, and I have no idea of the answer.

However, I suggest the 'Rotorheads' forum would give you greater chance of an answer from a 'hawk pilot. Most of the contributors here are British.

Tourist
26th Jan 2003, 15:44
Got a very nice pic of a hawk carrying out an equally bizzare act, but am not clever enough to post it unfortunately!

blind pue
26th Jan 2003, 22:10
PU

Thanks for the advice but I thought a military forum might have a better idea as to what the Black/Sea Hawks were doing.

Luckily Jeep has given me the answer,

It's an impressive sight though, especialy when they use the tail wheel as a ground proximity indicator, I remember a couple of guys using the 'frange' in much the same way and not looking so cool, I was interested to know if the Yanks knew something.

It would appear they dont and use the power of the machine to get away with it.:cool:

SALAD DODGER
27th Jan 2003, 17:58
Recently coming out of Met Brief from a USN base somwhere in the Indian Ocean, it was pointed out to me by one of my (Ex USAF) colleagues that in the met pack the ditching/ forced landing direction was published. This has windspeed, wave chord/ height and tidal implications. The outging crews would all have to memorise this so that they could instantly get the aircraft going in the right direction when the **** hit the fan or the instructor pressed to test. The result would be aircraft appearing to spear off in random directions during training, sometimes away from the prevailing wind.

But I would think that whatever aircraft you needed to crash land, forward speed into wind is going to help save your bacon unless the terrain dictates.

Hope this helps a little

:cool:

Waddock Hunt
27th Jan 2003, 21:54
Not wishing to put too much doubt on our fellow war-goer's abilities... but maybe that was the direction they were told to do it by the last person they spoke too!!