PDA

View Full Version : gulfstream academy/airlines

saviboy
24th Jan 2003, 13:22
hi everyone!
has somebody been thru or know somebody wha has been thru the first officer program at gulfstream academy in ft lauderdale?
im wondering what are the options after the 250 hours in the beech 1900 ?
thaks
saviboy

HaadRin
24th Jan 2003, 20:22
Hey Saviboy,
I don't know anybody who's been through Gulfstream's 250 hour FO program on the B-1900 (nor have I been through it) , however, I've read quite a bit on the subject matter...both positive and negative.

The positive aspect of it is that you acquire 310 hours (training too)of Beech 1900 time plus the type rating however that is almost all Second in Command time...not PIC time.

The negative aspect is that once you have done your 250 hours they usually hand you your walking papers to make room for the next guy willing to shell out $25,000us. With the US aviation industry being as sick as it is right now (and for the next several years), and that you are from Paris (assume you do not have US citizenship or green card) it is not likely that Gulfstream would offer you a permanent pilot positon given how many unemployed American pilots there are from which to choose. I'm not American either, but from what I've read only American citizens are being hired in the states right now and that does not bode well for those who are carrying green cards.

Once you do the 310 hours at Gulfstream you could probably find a job in Africa/Europe flying the Beech 1900.

Good luck
Chris