PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan XA908 crash in Michigan USA, 1958?

DamienB
24th Jan 2003, 12:30
Been sent this, can anybody help?

"I'm in the process of researching the crash of AVRO Vulcan B.1 XA908 near Detroit, MI in October, 1958. Do you know of any individuals that would hve some specifics on that crash? I live relatively close to the crash site and the cemetery wherre the crew is burried, and would like to write a human interest story on this event for a local publication. Any help that you could send my way would be greatly appreciated."

forget
24th Jan 2003, 13:41
Try asking on www.avrovulcan.org.uk
or contact the web boss, Andy Leitch at [email protected]

sabredog
24th Jan 2003, 15:19
DamienB,
The following might be of help;
Crash 14th,October,1958,Detroit,Michigan.Vulcan XA908, 83 Sqn.
Aircraft suffered total electrics failure. Emergency electrical system and batteries also failed, and the aircraft became uncontrollable.
The co-pilot ejected safely, but landed in water and was drowned.
He was not wearing a life-jacket and was a non-swimmer.
The remaining members of the crew did not leave the aircraft. Four civilians on the ground were injured and there was serious damage to property at the impact site.

Crew. Flt.Lt. John Willoughby-Moore Pilot.
Flt Lt. Brian Peacock. Co -Pilot.
Sqdn. Ldr. Harvey J. Scull. Navigator.
Flt.Lt. James D.Watson. Navigator.
F/O. Anthony D. Baker. AEO.
C/T. Edward C. Evison. Crew Chief.

I am sure the Vulan sites will be able to provide some greater detail .
Regards, Sabredog.

etsd0001
24th Jan 2003, 22:57
The a/c was flying on a 'Lone Ranger' exercise from Goose Bay to Lincoln AFB, Nebraska when 60 miles NE of Detroit the Vulcan's main power supply failed. Although the engine gens continued to supply electrical power, a short in the main busbar blocked the supply to the a/c systems. This shouldn't have been a problem as the ships batteries were designed to supply power for 20 mins, but on this occasion only lasted 3. At the start of the emergency the Capt. requested an emerg descent to Kellogg Field Michigan, but when batt power was lost the flying controls ceased to operate at which point the Capt requested directions to the nearest field. Since the controls were useless the a/c flew into the ground at a 60 degree angle, killing all but the co-pilot who was the only person on the Squadron who couldn't swim.

Following the accident the Vulcans main bus bar was divided into two, to prevent a re-occurance.

Source:-
The Vulcan Story by Tim Laming
ISBN 1-85409-148-4

DamienB
25th Jan 2003, 09:50
Many thanks guys. Have also pointed the chap towards the RAFM and PRO.