PDA

View Full Version : Thrust reversers - 737

TKFS
24th Jan 2003, 09:05
G'day All
Out the front of work I have seen 737 aircraft landing and the thrust reversers have been deployed before the nose wheel is on the ground. I have never seen this before but than again I have not paid that much attention. I am just curious as to how the aircraft handles when it happens.

Thanks

maksim
24th Jan 2003, 09:59
Hi TKFS,
Actually I am not 737 driver, but sometimes in IL-76 ( heavy cargo) , when landing speed is too high cos of landing weight and the plane 'doesnt want to land', especially at high altitude AP with short RW pilots open idle reverse few sec before touch in order to land at TDZ. Some of them even open 2 doors which have hydraulic drive and use them as an airbrakes during the landing run to save tyres and not to overheat brakes.
Regards,Maks

Sperm Bank
25th Jan 2003, 01:18
We selecet detent reverse as soon as the mains touch down. You will see the doors open but we can not actually open up the taps until the doors have fully opened by which time the nose wheel is usually on the ground. I think you will find most jet operators are the same.

TKFS
25th Jan 2003, 02:17
Thank's for that guys.:)

Wizofoz
25th Jan 2003, 04:54
Just adding to the Love Banks reply, there is no restriction on applying reverse with the nose wheel off the ground, it just doesn't usually work out that way.

Knulp
25th Jan 2003, 22:40
I doubt you would have time to haul into reverse before the nosewheel banged on the ground unless it was a weird landing.

olderbutyzer
25th Jan 2003, 23:22
Hi TKFS, how's things in TKFS (ASA) going?

nzer
26th Jan 2003, 23:51
The B737 lands in a relatively low nose attitude, and the nose wheel touches dow not very long after the mains - as I recall, getting full reverse requires the nosewheel to be on the ground - by contrast, in the B767 and B747, the nosewheel is "held off" for alot longer, comparatively, and full reverse is deployed with the nosewheel in the air.

Wizofoz
27th Jan 2003, 00:40
nzer,

Did you fly the 200 per chance? I believe it had an actual restriction on reverse with the nosewhell off the ground. Are you suggesting it actually had an interlock to prevent deployment? (I've no idea, ive never sat in one). On the 3/4/500, however, there is, as I said, no actual restriction. Full reverse is available below 10'RA and allowed to be used once the mains are are on.

I SUPPOSE is you brought her in hot and held it off, you might get the sleaves out before the nose was down, but I'm in no hurry to try and prove that!!

TKFS
27th Jan 2003, 10:29
The runway is 1981 meters. I had a look today and I think it had 737-700 on the side of the aircraft.

nzer
28th Jan 2003, 00:00
Tks Wizofoz - as I said, "As I remember" - a fading faculty - and yes, my memory was of the -200, which reqd one main gear - can't recall which one! plus nose gear compression to get reverse - altho more recently (4 years ago) I flew the -300, more distant memories block oput more recent ones!! - But now you have jolted my memory, you are correct.