PDA

View Full Version : CASA. Doing its best to end the GA pilots career?

Mr. Hat
23rd Jan 2003, 23:37
Just wondering what Pilots, Operators and Regulators think of the new set of Regs that are being proposed for the future.

In particular, how the licencing issues will affect pilots in GA trying to work their way up the ladder.

I know its been done before - I missed out on that one :) - am just keen to hear what people have to say: either for or against.

I started talking to Rich Fine Green about it on HA's "Get a CPL and ??? Do you expect it?" and thought I might start it as a topic. If you have little idea (like me) of what the changes are going to be, have a read of the posts between myself and RFG.

Opinions....... ?
:mad:

Rich-Fine-Green
24th Jan 2003, 02:02
Anyone who is interested in the future of G.A. - Can use the link below and download the changes relevant to them.

http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/newrules/casr/archive.htm (http://)

Dry stuff to read but important to anyone trying to run an aviation business or to anyone wanting to make a career in aviation.

24th Jan 2003, 03:47
Hat - can see your concerns. Spoke to a mate today who is involved and he said the whole show is a fair way off (years)coming out. Don't know if this helps.

Icarus2001
24th Jan 2003, 22:35
I think far from ending a career some of the proposed CASRs will increase the value of being a pilot. Granted it will make it harder for the new CPL holders to progress but I think that is agood thing.

Economics 101: The remuneration received by any employee is a reflection of how difficult it is to replace that employee.

There seems to have been a real slow down in the last two years in the number of Commercial students produced in Australia. This is only anecdotal. I would like to know the actual figures from CASA. Anyway this would suggest a slight shortage in the short to medium term. Those that gain the experience in the interim, until the CASRs take effect will be in a better position down the track.

As pointed out on another thread, why enter an industry to aspire to a CP/CFI job on $50K pa ?

Sheep Guts
25th Jan 2003, 00:24
Icarus,

I would like to know the actual figures from CASA. Anyway this would suggest a slight shortage in the short to medium term.

Have you been to Rourkes in Darwin on a Saturday night or seen how many Pilots are picking Mangoes and Cabbages in Kunnunurra. Or did you realise how many Pilots were released by the demise of Ansett, Flight West and alike in 2001.

About 1/3 of those pilots totaling 900 have gotten there jobs back or other jobs, and I might another 1/4 have gone OS to get work.

Some people seem to think weve recoverd from the fallout. I dont thinks so, maybe I am pesamistic. But I think I have alot of allies out there who feel the same way.

"Shortage of Pilots" Outrageous, and the word Lunacy comes to mind on comments like that.

Regards
Sheep:rolleyes:

Icarus2001
25th Jan 2003, 03:42
Agreed Sheepguts. Lunacy...at present but project ahead. How long can the keen young things at Rourkes wait for their big break. I am always amazed at how people who have put so much time & effort into their training can walk away (drift?) into other areas. Better paying jobs like washing windscreens at traffic lights or waiting on tables call and away they go.

All the ex Hazelton/Ansett/Kendells pilots would be accustomed to a regular income and as such would either be overseas, applying to VB and Rex whilst working in another industry, or have given flying away. They don't have the luxury of hanging around in Darwin for their first job.

It doesn't take long for the situation to change. The question in the first post relates to CASR's and the future. That is what I am referring to.

I dont know if you are pesamistic(sic), but you can't smell.:)

Rich-Fine-Green
25th Jan 2003, 12:22
Icarus:

Regardless of your 'supply & demand' theory;

If the proposed changes pass unchanged then future pilots will find the jump to advance in the industry very hard.

Try this one in the Economics 101 class:

300 pilots a year who will do anything to achieve 150 hours IFR in order to fly an crummy Aztec (not meant as an insult to PA23 drivers).

What do you think that will do to supply and demand when they will either pay for ICUS or work for buggar all for ICUS?.

They will get there somehow as the lure is too strong.

How about another angle:

A fresh CPL will need 100 PIC in order to get a simple VFR s/e job. But 'Bloggsey' is about to graduate from Sausage Aviation Aerospace Aeronautical Academy College Pty Ltd with just 70 PIC.

What to do? How about an Instructor Rating!. Well 300 others have the same idea. Suddenly 'Supply & Demand' again = more pilots willing to work for NIX.

A little off topic but I wonder if the insurance companies will reward operators with lower rates in the future - due to CASA's changes that are meant to make flying "safer"?. :rolleyes:

How about lower Hangarkeeper's rates in the future for Engineers forced to upgrade to Class A in order to stay in business?. Once again, CASA's way of trying to make aviation "safer". :rolleyes: Somehow I don't think so.

mjbow2
25th Jan 2003, 14:40
Sheep.... I think your right on!

Getting that first job is going to be relatively hard, whatever the regs say. The supply and demand theory will see the participation rate change (note...not drop) when the regs make it harder for a certain class of participant.

there never has been or ever will be a shortage of pilots... anywhere! Its the greatest job in the world and as we have all seen people will go to extaordinary lengths to get qualified/continue working in the industry.

As sheep and many others have demonstrated, we will go OS to continue flying. Look on the wannabes section and see how many student go OS for training just because its cheaper/easier and there are in many cases abundantly more job opportunities.

Never have been or never will be a shortage of pilots! NEVER

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
26th Jan 2003, 10:27
Those who suceed in aviation are usually the one that have other skills, other ways to obtain an income. don't fall into the false security of expecting aeroplanes to always provide an income.