PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a "Banner Towing" business in Thailand

RowleyUK
23rd Jan 2003, 19:17
I was just wandering if any of you chaps/chapess' could offer me som advice on startin up a business abroad!

Ive just got back off holiday and theres so much opportunity out there for banner towin to advertise the pubs/clubs and the like! Given the fact that theres so few jobs over here and i really want to live over there, i might aswell kill two birds with one stone and fly over there!

Im pretty sure the business would be a success but im unsure as to what the requirements would be!

Is there any special trainin required for banner towing?
How do you go about convertin a JAA license to a Thai license?
What are the requirements to fly in Thailand?
What would the rough cost be to set the whole operation up?

Gettin hold of a C152 wouldnt be any great problem but i reckon maybe the hassle invovled could be a problem!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rowley

notice
23rd Jan 2003, 23:02
Are you serious? If so...

1. Good knowledge of knot-Thaing is essential.
2. No conversion is required but you may need to register with TAA -suggest you ask embassy for contact details.
3. Apart from fuel, maybe a Thai partner would be useful or essential, if they don't allow foreign commercial operators. I would suggest, also, plenty of third-party insurance cover, if you can get it, from a reputable company.
4. Having a convenient airfield and good maintenance back-up are essential as the clients will be angry if you don't deliver.

the kebabman
23rd Jan 2003, 23:48
I am seriousely considering doing something similar. If there isn't much in the way of commercial jobs going when I am due to finish my ATPL (easter time 2004) I was thinking about either going over to spain for 6months to a year to get a job in banner towing or going to spain/greece to start a small company doing the same. Does anyone have any contacts in the business? Does anyone know what the demand for this is like? Even if this would be a two man business, I think it would be worth it. I already have accomodation near Feungirola in the south of spain, and I would hae thought that the materials wouldn't cost too much. Obviously the summer time is the peak for this kind of work, and if it was only for 3-4 months I would have thought I could arrange plane rental for this time. The next step then would be to try to get contacts....any help?! If anyone else is considering this line of work then please email me; [email protected]

Another thought is taking parachutists up, I suppose New Zealand would be a good option for this. Basically if anyone can help, this would be much appreciated, cheers, paul.

jtr
24th Jan 2003, 00:51
If you are considering Thailand, and I imagine somewhere like Phuket/Ko Samui/Pattaya, may I offer two bits of advice.

1) Getting ANYTHING done as a farang is generally a challenge. If it is something that has not been done before by a local, and never been done before at all, then you face some pretty big challenges. A guy tried setting up a floatplane business a while back, I have heard nothing on it for a while, and it "should" have been up and running by now. He (from what I understand) has lived there for a while, and had the $ to do it...

2) If you do suceed in getting all permits etc, and start a business, expect a lot of overheads in the form of bribes (for want of a better term) everyone will have their hand out.

Not trying to be negative, just telling what little I know.

Good Luck

RowleyUK
24th Jan 2003, 17:08
Yes it is Samui im thinkin of!!

I have spotted a float plane over there, although it did look a bit out of work!!

I think i'll have to scrap the idea until i can a thai wife!! ha ha ha:D :D :D