PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Licences

gwilkinson83
23rd Jan 2003, 18:14
I am a little confused about what different licences will allow me to do. In other words, what can i do with a CPL IR or a ATPL.

Could anyone give me any info?

FRIDAY
23rd Jan 2003, 22:34
I would say:
The Cpl is your commercial license for flying guess what "commercially" which means you can earn cash however it does not enable you to fly for an airline in the general case.
The instrument rating is generally required for most commercial operations i.e route flying and commercial procedures however the likes of banner towing, sight seeing etc are commercial operations but not needing an IR but its advisable.
The ATPL is required by the airlines to fly for different airline companies.

Confused yet.....

spils
24th Jan 2003, 11:43
gwilkinson83 - i was in the same boat as you - that is until i found the following web site which kinda cleared things up a little for me http://www.flyaft.com/fltraining.htm

johnnypick
24th Jan 2003, 11:58
FRIDAY, is on the right track, but missing a few bits out. If you have CPL/IR you can fly for money, easy. If you have an ATPL you are able to take command of a multi-crew aircraft. It is not a requirement to have an ATPL to fly for an airline as a F/O, but most would insist on at least having a frozen ATPL.