PDA

View Full Version : "performance A"

shumshad-ali
23rd Jan 2003, 15:07
I'm abit confused to what "performance A" actually means? i have come across it several job requirements.

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.s sorry if i sound so naive/stupid.

GonvilleBromhead
23rd Jan 2003, 15:27
Not stupid at all shumshad.

It's an old national requirement (pre-JAA), it used to be a seperate exam required before going on to airlines (sometimes you'll hear it referred to as perf A).

Now superceded by the super dooper JAA performance exam.

FlapsOne
23rd Jan 2003, 17:55
In simple terms it's all about the questions:

Can I take off today, at weight x (aircraft, pax, bags), with weather y, and with fuel z?

or to put it another way

What weight can I take off with today?

......and still satisfy all the safety parameters of the performance group my aircraft is operating under (with all engines, one failed, 2 failed etc).

Similar questions apply for landing.

There are also a number of issues whilst in the climb, cruise and descent but it would take too long to explain.

Hope that helps a bit.

RowleyUK
23rd Jan 2003, 19:04
But in reality the Perf exam is full of trick questions just waiting to trip you up.

Its only a small subject but it is, without a doubt, one of the most difficult subjects to get under your belt! I've come across a lot of people who say the same as me!

Good Luck when you attempt it!

El Thermidor
24th Jan 2003, 09:12
OK, explain this like I'm a two year old, please.

It's an old (CAA?) exam, and it's been superseded.

But employers are still asking for it.

So, if you've got a CAA fATPL, you need it, but if you've got a JAA fATPL, you've already got it, and you don't need it.

Is that correct?:confused:

Alex Whittingham
24th Jan 2003, 09:38
If you have an old CAA license then Perf A is an additional exam you need to fly jets and big turboprops commercially. As the old CAA Perf A exam is no longer available the CAA accept a pass in the JAA Performance exam in lieu.

If you have a JAA license then you will have taken the Performance exam as part of the main group of exams and there is no extra requirement.

Pub User
24th Jan 2003, 13:47
So if you've got a CAA 'frozen' ATPL, and only Perf E, can you be given a type rating by an airline?

I'm not in this position, but know a man who is!

A/T ARM
25th Jan 2003, 15:38
Pub user

Your mate will have to do the JAA perf exam then.
Suggest a call to BRS ground school to get the notes.
I think the Campaign Against Avaition charge about £35 for the pleasure of sitting it.

A/T ARM

cochise
26th Jan 2003, 01:45
You guys think Perf A was bad in the UK? In the caribbean there are no flight schools that teach it and no one prints the Cap 385. It is required by most governments for the conversion of a CPL! You're lucky if you can find someone to teach it. I've known guys who've taken 6 times to pass it!!!

Cricketer
27th Jan 2003, 16:00
So when application forms ask for the results - are they talking about the old exam or the new one and should you bother putting down the new exam result?