PDA

View Full Version : JAA training in the US

milad
22nd Jan 2003, 23:19
Hi!

I have done numerous search on this site and other sites concerning JAA license training in the US. These are the schools that I found offer this: Comair, Naples, UKFT, European Flight Training.

What I would like to know are these licenses 100% valid in JAA countries in Europe, i.e do I need any kind of conversion and if so to what licenses does that apply and does it involve both ground school and flight checks?

It seems like if you add up all the expenses of training in the US v. Europe, the difference is pretty marginal, don't you think?

Cheers!

Milad Yazdi

FRIDAY
23rd Jan 2003, 00:00
Yes they are 100% JAA exceptable without the need for any conversions or tests, however you will have to do a few hrs checkout from the supplier of any aircraft you are planning to rent in Europe in order to check your profeciency.
As for cost differences, well the euro is still strengtening against the dollar but yes I believe it is only a marginal saving,it suits some and not others.

freeborn1
23rd Jan 2003, 11:55
I am flying in the USA at Comair. i have done my FAA PPL, my JAA PPL my night, my IMC, and am 1/2 way through my ATPL ground exams and have done 70 hours of other flight for hours building. I have now a total of 160 hours.

So far i have spent $15000 - $16000 on the flying portion (ATPL exams not included). You do the maths and tell me where is cheaper!!!!! I think i have saved myself (especially as the dollar is falling against the pound) $15000!!!!

You make your own decision though. All i can say is the weather is great for flying in Florida, and i have had great fun so far and learnt a great deal.

FRIDAY
23rd Jan 2003, 22:51
EMMM let me see, well I done the JAA PPL/IMC/NR and some hours all for approx $7000 and to get to your level of 160hrs I am still going fall short of 15000/16000 dollars and thats with the remainder of hours done in the uk.I also have paid money for my first module in atpl groundschool. I have got an accomodation in the uk for my 6months groundschool at a cost of 1200 stg which is approx enough for less then half the stay in the states.
PLUS any flight school I visited in the US had only hour builders as instructors but at most flight schools in the UK you at least get a choice of very experienced i.e airline/RAF experience or 10yrs+ experience in alot of FTO's and I dont care what you say flying in the states is too laid back, I want challenges and actual weather to contend with. US = SAVE IN THE SHORT TERM, EXTRA IN THE LONG TERM.
Any of the guys that I have spoke to that went commercial who were in the states agree with this and would do it different if they could, although I started in the states I have no plans of going back to finish commercial.

spils
24th Jan 2003, 11:54
FRIDAY - i have to say that i agree with that. i did my JAA PPL over in florida and as much as i enjoyed it, am definitely going to do my CPL work over in good ol' Blighty as i want the challenges that i dont think you get in the states but are wholly necessary in making you a good and competent pilot.
i'm obviously not slagging off anyone who did their training in the states, but definitely agree with the fact that saving now means you lose out in the future.

alec
24th Jan 2003, 14:52
What does that say about B.A., Aer lingus, Cab air Oxford and lots more who all train in the States or Spain.

They all build hrs in the states and finish with skill test in Scotland or England. The students still have to adapt

All the schools mentioned above use major airports in the States.
Comair uses the 25th busiest airport in the world surrounded by Orlando international, e.t.c. Head instructor worked in both OXFORD and CAB AIR

If you can afford to do the hole thing in England go ahead but for those that are doing it in the states you will have saved so many €$£ that you can hopefully afford , if required a few extra flights when back home.

Good luck to all:)

Johnny 7
24th Jan 2003, 21:53
alec

I think the point really is that you want to do your training in the same place as you do the skill test . When BA , Aer Lingus et al were putting students through OATS a couple of years ago the majority of training for the CPL skill test was conducted in Florida or Arizona . The test however , was conducted at Kidlington with a relatively small proportion of the VFR syllabus flown in the U.K for pre-test prep . It was not uncommon for students to encounter some difficulty adapting to nav in the U.K. ( and conversion onto a complex type ) in limited time when they had been used to a somewhat different environment . This has now changed with all VFR & the skill test conducted in the same place .

Incidentally , I think your reference to Scotland may be something to do with Bae Systems who used to have a school there - it is the one now at Jerez .

ATPMBA
26th Jan 2003, 15:07
Quote: as i want the challenges that i dont think you get in the states but are wholly necessary in making you a good and competent pilot.

Florida does have nice warm weather your round.

In the Northeast U.S. (New England) we have four distinct seasons which gives us thunderstorms, high winds, clouds, snow, ice. The old saying is, “if you don’t like the weather in New England, just wait 15 minutes and it will change.”

What kind of challenges are you looking for?

If I interpreted the prior posts correctly you are looking for challenging weather conditions. We do have that kind of weather, for helicopter folks we even have conditions that can approach North Sea conditions with overwater flights.

I think most international flight schools are located in Florida and Arizona because they offer year round good weather for flight training, thinking only of the revenue side of the equation.

carbonfibre
26th Jan 2003, 21:59
I agree with Friday?

I completed most my hour building and a night rating in the US, but the CPL test and others far more challenging than over there in Sunny Florida.

More fun I agree, but thats what constructive hour building is about, even with the strong pound etc, by the time you added your flights, food and transport it is not cheaper, and I assume alec you will be doing the IR completion at Atlantic as Comair use them to finish up. I also know the said instructor, who i agree is very good, but all said and done the instrucors there are hour builders.

I to looked at all the options, good fun though, try sharkys in venice if you havnt already been

Have a good time, work hard play hard:cool:

Kerropi
26th Jan 2003, 22:29
How about doing ur CPL/IR SE in Europe and wanting to do your Multi Rating in the US...

I have heard that for ie Naples Air in Florida are approved by Brittish JAA so when u want to add ur Mukti rating you have to do it in England... but i am not sure with this

Anyone have experience with this??

mukti = multi

Sorry