PDA

View Full Version : MS Outlook

TheKentishFledgling
22nd Jan 2003, 20:51
I wonder if someone can help....
I fired up Outlook when I got home earlier, and it gave me an error saying "Outlook is unable to connect to your POP3 e-mail server".

At first I thought BT were just having problems (nowt new there!) but it was the same a few hours later.

I tried re-enterting all the servers and trying a few others, which all worked ok.

I gave BT a ring, and effectively they said "we don't offer support for MS Outlook. Can't help" (aren't BT great?)

So can anyone help as to why it's not working? I can use BT webmail fine, and also their WAP mail.

Muchos gracias,
tKF

What_does_this_button_do?
23rd Jan 2003, 08:39
Various reasons:

Have you just installed some Firewall software/changed firewall settings?

Had you modified your account/password with Openworld?

Just some of the reasons.....

TheKentishFledgling
23rd Jan 2003, 20:14
Nope, none of the above.......

BUT

As I sort of expected (from a combination of BT and MS!), I turned on the PC this morning, and it worked fine!! :rolleyes:

Odd.

Thanks for the help though,
tKF

amanoffewwords
23rd Jan 2003, 21:46
Little trick that may be of help in determining if the server you are trying to extract your email from is 'alive':

go to the command prompt (start, run, type in 'cmd')
At the dos prompt type 'ping mail.btinternet.com' - this should give you the response times from the server - if it's down it will tell you that. It won't tell you if their security module is working or not or whether the server itself is fully operational in other respects but it's a starting point anyhow.

Find it strange that they don't support Outlook - the settings are pretty basic and are similar to Outlook Express which their system is able to configure automatically via their award-winning-not Internet Installer program.

Glad I'm not with them anymore - long live Telewest Broadband http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/jump_clap.gif