View Full Version : To have a PPL or not to have a PPL?

615topgrob
9th May 2001, 16:30
Are airlines that have cadet pilot schemes more likely or less likely to accept you onto such a scheme if you already have a PPL?

Strontium Dog
9th May 2001, 18:17
Difficult one.

BA tend to look for future managers (at least we think so, their selection is weird with lots of psychometric evalutions)

Other companies seem to want to see an interest in aviation, however, a PPL may be a rather expensive way of proving this fact.

I personally think that if you are contemplating doing your PPL then do it for the sake of doing the PPL, not for scoring points with a prospective airline.

I think they look at the individual, and will train you from scratch anyway, a PPL may lead you into some bad habits, which they may feel is a disadvantage.

Or, they may think that you are giving yourself a headstart. Who knows?

One thing to consider, about 7 mates of mine were BA cadets, and none of them had a PPL.

When I did my CAP509 course, the guys with PPL's were at an advantage for the first week, but then the rest of us caught up, and on top of this I don't think that they were given much of an hour credit towards their CPL/IR, but that was before JAA so you may want to look into this.

Basically, the short answer is there is no right or wrong answer to this one, except investigate where your money would be most wisely spent.

Hope this helps. :)

Token Bird
9th May 2001, 18:34
It really depends on the airline. BA tend to prefer people with low hours that they can mould into the kind of pilot they want, as long as you meet their other criteria.

Air2000 and BM also do ab initio schemes but tend to look favourably on people with seom flying experience as this proves you're interested.

Air Atlantique do a sponsorship which you require 100 hours to apply for.

KLM do a sponsorship in association with Cabair where you work as an instructor for Cabair before moving to the airline. They require 180 hours to apply for this.

Hence, basically there are sponsorship schemes for all levels of experience. As you move out of one arena you move into another. I personally am studying for my PPL and intend to go on and build hours as quickly as I can afford as I am assuming the worst case scenario will occur and that I will not get any sponsorship. Hence if you deliberately put off training in the hope of securing a sponsorship, you will have to catch up later if you don't nail it,

TB

Rusty Cessna
9th May 2001, 19:48
Just to throw in my opinion on the bad habits issue.

Firstly take all advice above into account and I would say if you have the money and are willing to spend it, do a PPL as it is kick ass fun and you will enjoy both getting it and using it.

As said above it tends to depend on the airline, some (like BA) seen to think that you might have acquired bad habits, and I think they discard applicants with more hours than just over a hundred I think (but by no means take my word for it this is what I heard).

It is true, you might have acquired bad habits, but I think BA assume everyone has acquired them. I personally see a way round this, even though it may be a bit long winded. Whenever you do a PPL or any kind of aptitude test get a responsible person, I.e the instructor or examiner to do a short written note as a mini reference to your flying ability.

For example, I have done nearly all my PPL, and have got all three instructors I have flown with to do a short summary of my skill and ability and to list any short falls. I have also attended the RAF and Navy flying aptitude tests and scored very highly, thus I kept a copy, I have been fortunate enough to be awarded a Flying Scholarship and will get my instructor to do the same as my PPL ones and if it is good, can any airline argue with the RAF if they say you don't have bad habits!?

Basically what I am doing is building a defence for myself so I get to do all the fun flying, and have written reports that back me up and provide me with a defence for all the "bad habits" scares.

At an interview all you have to do is say, "by the way sir if you are by any means worried that I may have any bad habits, I have written reports and aptitude records from various sources to prove the contrary, would you like to see them? Also if you would like to contact my instructors they are more than happy to talk to you". Or words to that effect...

Hope it helps,
Rusty.

Pandora
11th May 2001, 11:20
BA didn't reject me with over 120hrs and my own aircraft share. Nor did they reject the person next door-but-one from me who had 125hrs, an IMC and night rating. Of course on an ab-initio course a PPL is no advantage after the first week. It is just pure fluke that this person and myself were among the first to finish on our course, and that those who struggled were those who had never flown a light aircraft in their life.

I do not know as much about other sponsorship schemes, but the BA selection process is very transparent, and when I applied the literature specified things like numeracy and fluency in the English language. It did not say 'less than xx hrs'.

However, if you want to do a PPL for the sake of enjoying the flying, then do it. No sponsorship scheme is going to penalise you for being too keen to fly.

Tim01
12th May 2001, 14:50
150hrs tends to be the cut-off point for B.A

Lucifer
12th May 2001, 16:05
It's 200 max. But you'd probably have to have been on a UAS and justify that much, otherwise the remoulding issue comes into play.

TopGrob
14th May 2001, 01:42
Young apprentice. Dont think, just feel. Trust your instinct. Use the force.

All right Rich? Get the answer you wanted? See you at the w/end.

Master Obi Wun.

Pielander
15th May 2001, 05:02
Pandora

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
It is just pure fluke that this person and myself were among the first to finish on our course, and that those who struggled were those who had never flown a light aircraft in their life.
</font>

Is there a hint of sarcasm hidden between these lines per-chance? (You naughty little scamp)! :) I certainly hope so!

Pie

[This message has been edited by Pielander (edited 15 May 2001).]

Pandora
16th May 2001, 14:05
Pie,

what do you think? ;) (Go on - call me a scamp again).

But seriously - Lucifer and Tim01, where exactly do these numbers come from?