PDA

View Full Version : Flight Watch

RENURPP
22nd Jan 2003, 12:20
I would be interested to know why some pilots insist on asking "centre" for weather NOTAM's and the like.
Just as interested to know why "centre" doesn't politely give them the bums rush. Surely you guys are busy enough?

Do you only have 1 VHF radio?
Is it company policy?
Don't know how to find the appropriate flight watch frequency?
Just too bloody lazy?

The number of requests on an already busy "centre" frequency are on the increase. The main culprits that I hear up north that are responsible work for two GA RPT operations based in Darwin.

The centre frequecies are are busy enough, and when you are trying to listen on "centre" and a MBZ that covers most of Arnhemland the less said the better so do every body a favor and use the correct frequency.

If you haven't been able to find it the correct frequency around Gove is 120.1.
thanks

compressor stall
22nd Jan 2003, 21:38
Maybe ask why the centre frequencies are so busy...sometimes one controller from Horn to Broome and all in the middle.

AND when you call centre, they usually answer.

turtle
23rd Jan 2003, 02:19
RENURPP

Because all the flightwatch freqs are continuously NOTAMed U.S.

Look in ERSA for the FREQS.

RENURPP
23rd Jan 2003, 05:34
Because all the flightwatch freqs are continuously NOTAMed U.S.
That one doesn't work. 120.1 was not US and this has been going on for ages. Just getting worse. There is always HF.

libelle
23rd Jan 2003, 21:13
NAS will fix it, when the lower limit of controlled airspace is F145 and there is no service (other than flightwatch) in the G airspace below pilots will have to call on the Flightwatch frequencies if they want anything.

A quick check of the notams shows the only Flightwatch frequency u/s is Adelaide.

The combining of Centre frequencies is a pain in the proverbial, when flying in South East Queensland listening on the area frequencies 90% of the traffic is high level jet aircraft from all over the state.

NAS should fix that, no area frequencies, I believe they will be removed from charts at the next amendement to get the industry used to not having them!

AirNoServicesAustralia
24th Jan 2003, 13:25
NAS will fix it.....come on. I hope you have your tongue in your cheek. If not you have been given the biggest ride ever. Its like saying I keep getting a tyre puncture on my bike, ah well I'll remove the wheel permanently that'll fix the problem.

ASA has duped all you pilots by first saying they would remove Flight Service(remember them), when there was an uproar from the pilots, the response was, "hang on all the service will be done by controllers, with radar and giving you better service". All along ASA were planning to dump this service as it makes no money. They made the frequency setup with high and low level traffic sharing the frequencys unworkable, and the flightwatch system inadequate, so now they offer to fix the problem.

They offer to rip the guts out of the system and offer service to the big guys who pay, and let the little guys go to hell. After NAS the "problem" might be "fixed" but god help you if you need a controller to help you out.