PDA

View Full Version : Credits for ATPL exams ?

Dean Johnston
22nd Jan 2003, 06:59
Hi,

I've got Mod1 with BGS (Inst,F/P, Met,G.Nav,IFR & VFR comms,HP&L & M&B.

If I now decided to go CPL instead of ATPL (only want to instruct) would I get any of the above as credits, also can someone tell me which exams, and how many for CPL ?

D.J.

Island Hopper
23rd Jan 2003, 19:51
CPL Theory:

Air Law
Aircraft General Knowledge
Flight Performance and Planning
Human Performance and Limitations
Meteorology
Navigation
Operational Procedures
Principles of Flight
Communications

The course consists of 200 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction.

I don't know whether or not you would have to do all these hours, having already studied some of these subjects at ATPL level, however as you studied with BGS, I imagine you would have to do the entire CPL approved course, because there are only 2 schools listed on the CAA website which offer the CPL theory:
Atlantic Flight Training and Cranfield Aviation Training School.

I'm not entirely sure about 'ATPL to CPL' credits, because I've only looked at it the other way around, however I wouldn't be surprised if you can't get any credits. Certainly 'CPL to ATPL' the CAA don't give any credits, despite some of the subjects being very similar, eg Principles of Flight and Communications.

If you were to swap to the CPL theory, and subsequently complete the IR Theory at a later date, the CPL and IR would not equal an ATPL, despite the fact that I can find virtually no fundamental difference between the CPL/IR theory, and the ATPL theory.

Therefore, if you are sure that you only want to go as far as CPL level, then fine, but if you think you might want to get an ATPL in the future, then I would advise that you stick with the ATPL theory now, because even with a CPL/IR you would have to re-study everything in order to make it into an ATPL.

IH

Pub User
23rd Jan 2003, 23:56
Don't do it Dean.

If there's the slightest glimmer of a chance that you may want an ATPL in the future, do the exams now. You've already started, so you may as well finish.

Dean Johnston
24th Jan 2003, 09:41
Thank you for both comments, the point is I used three attempts to get these subjects. What I don't want to happen is get to the final attempt and lose the lot.
Has anyone else used the max attemps to get what they want. I read of lots of people that pass all subjects first time, which , whilst pleased for them, makes me feel rather stupid ( a point I won't argue with).
I know theres different circumstances and I have the wife,kids, work fulltime and all that. It just seems sometimes to be to much for my allready burntout grey matter.

D.J.

GonvilleBromhead
24th Jan 2003, 10:02
Hang on Dean, I'm not sure if things are a bit confused here. Do correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that you have already passed all the mod 1 exams, and you've used 3 attempts in doing so ??

If I remember rightly (and please someone correct me if not), you get 4 attempts PER SUBJECT, and 6 sittings in total to pass all 14 exams.

Therefore if you've used 3 attempts (I read that as 3 sittings, is that correct ?), then you now have 3 more sittings IN TOTAL to get your mod 2 exams, and with each mod 2 exam you have 4 chances per subject (limited to 3 cos of the number of sittings left).

Therefore you still have a number of chances to get all your mod 2's, if I've read you right.

All the best with it.
:)

Edit to say: And if you've already done mod 1 successfully by distance learning and F/T job (I know what you're going through), then I reckon you've done the hardest part already. I'm not saying mod 2 is easy, but I reckon you've already broken the back of it. Keep it up fella, there were a fair few times I felt like jacking it, but glad now I never did that.

Good luck anyway.

Dean Johnston
24th Jan 2003, 12:59
G.B,

you are correct in what you say (3 attempts gone and 3 left) however if had not got the last subject in Mod1 I would have had a cushion with the 4 final attempt ( tagged onto Mod2) I just feel pressured that some people say Mos2 is harder than Mod1. I know that depends on the individual, but my thoughts were that as I only want to Instruct could I take an easier option.

NB. when I started there were no schools doing CPL.

D.J.