PDA

View Full Version : Just how do you find your first job with a bare CPL H in Australia

tippathplane
22nd Jan 2003, 04:25
Hi all, I have just got my CPL H and am now on the first steps of finding a Job. Most people say go north but in this country north if a very vast area!
Can anyone be a bit more specific? (I will travel anywhere though)
Some questions i have are:
What are employers looking for in a new pilot?
Which operators employ low time pilots its pointless troubling the ones who only want turbine types.
What are the best machines to be endorsed on?
Any hints or tips?
Do operators mind you phoning them or are getting stacks of calls every day?
Any idea of how many chopper wannabes are out there looking?
I just want to do my research before I head up north to stop me from wandering around the bush with no real plan of action.
I have cattle experience and would like to get into aerial mustering but it seems like they have lines of pilots waiting on their doorstep for a job, any suggestions, tips, or rude remarks welcome!
Thanks in advance
TT140 hours
R22 B47 H300 endorsed.

Mr. Hat
22nd Jan 2003, 08:39
tippathplane - I am a fixed wing guy so some of my answers may be wrong. I've met a few rotary guys in my short time however.

North: NT and WA does that narrow it down? In WA a good start would be Kunnunnurra. I think they start you off on pistons and you can progress to turbine but I think its all scenic.

NT a lot of mustering going on - unreal stuff (very envious of the skill of these guys).

What are they looking for? Hard worker, keen, a "go-er", someone who is keen to listen and learn. You said that you will go anywhere - this is already the stuff they are looking for.

Turbine types? Umm I think its like everywhere in aviation. Must do apprentiship on small machines first to get the basics sorted then they let you play with turbines. Unless you know somebody (which you will by the time you have 1000 hrs).

Best Machines? R22 R44 and Kawasaki (heap of sh t?). These in that order are the most common I've seen.

Operators getting calls? Yes they get calls. Not as many as you think. You are imagining 100's at the moment. This ain't happening. Send your CV (one page) follow up with a call, follow up with a visit.

Have never met a wannabe H - doesn't mean they aren't out there. It can't be worse than fixed wing..and hey I got a job!...

Your cattle experience is crucial - a huge selling point (don't act like you know it all though..they'll shoot you down).

When I used to talk to the mustering guys they used to say the biggest problems with new blokes was that they didn't have any experience with cattle (couldn't read em) as they were all from the city. However some of the bushies that did have the cattle experience were a little rough on the equipment.

Tips
Mustering is lots of hours but not such a great life (no poonani).
Scenic not so many hours bit better life (more poonani).
The best job when you have 140hrs is the first one offered to you. If you are uncomfortable with something (gut feeling) then speak up. Mustering is long hours and if you relax for a second you will die.

Good luck.
email me if you want

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
22nd Jan 2003, 10:03
Tip,

if you wish to muster you need to understand that you start on the ground, riding a horse (supplied) or bike (byo), the company needs to see you have a sound work ethic. Go north, one page Resume, high light other skills, motor mechanic etc etc.

contact the operators, drop in etc etc. if you don't get off your ass you definately do not stand a chance.

fill out an application at www.gulflineaviation.com . good luck.