PDA

View Full Version : United posts worse losses than anticipated.

tailscrape
18th Jul 2001, 15:49
Oh dear.

United Airlines posted a loss of $5.50 per share today to the US markets.

Roughly $350 million for the first QUARTER of this year!!

Cites falling premium class traffic as a major factor in it's downturn.

Standby to see the shares savaged later then.

It doesn't look good at all does it?

Ken747
18th Jul 2001, 19:21
Going off the subject abit, can anyone tell me if United are hiring?
Many thanks.

Zoner
18th Jul 2001, 20:47
Thursday July 12, 1:32 pm Eastern Time
Delta Air Lines Implements Hiring Freeze
ATLANTA (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE AL - news), underscoring the financial hurdles facing many U.S. airlines as a softening U.S. economy has cut into corporate travel, has stopped hiring pilots and flight attendants.

The hiring freeze was implemented about a month ago, spokesman Russ Williams said on Thursday. "This is a reflection of the current economic conditions. We've seen a softening in bookings relative to the economy,'' he said.

The hiring freeze, expected to continue indefinitely, applies to all positions companywide except those essential to the carrier's operation, Williams said. Delta has 74,000 employees worldwide, with more than 30,000 based in the Atlanta metropolitan area.

The hiring freeze comes as Delta, the No. 3 U.S. airline, prepares to report an estimated second-quarter net loss of $140 million to $160 million next week.

The slowing U.S. economy and resulting falloff in business travel have put the squeeze on many airlines, which are seeing sharp revenue declines. In addition, high fuel prices and soaring labor costs are also leading some airlines to cut back.

UAL Corp.'s (NYSE:UAL - news) United Airlines, the No. 2 U.S. carrier, has stopped hiring pilots, said spokeswoman Whitney Staley. The freeze also includes noncritical positions related to management, she said.

Chicago-based UAL, which is expected to report a second-quarter loss, earlier this month cut its quarterly dividend by 84 percent, citing economic weakness.

No. 4 carrier Northwest Airlines Corp. (NasdaqNM:NWAC - news), which has also warned of a second-quarter loss, recently said workforce reductions are inevitable as it cuts back in the face of weaker demand.

Delta is coping with a number of financial challenges. It was hard hit by a prolonged pilots strike at its Comair regional-airline unit settled last month. In past weeks, Delta has cut airfares to better compete with smaller rivals such as AirTran Holdings Inc. (AMEX:AAI - news) and disclosed plans to cut capacity.

:confused:

InitRef
19th Jul 2001, 02:43
DJ1,
UAL President Rono "Ditto" Dutta told Aviation week that:
United would "take a huge chunk of costs out" and focus on "defending our core hubs and not build them."
Capacity would increase 0.5% for the full year, instead of 1.9% as planned. Next year United's expecting negative 1% capacity growth.
They will defer early 2003 deliveries of 18 a/c, and accelerate retirement of 727.

Doesn't sound like they'll start hiring soon.

Oilhead
19th Jul 2001, 04:16
Desert Kock

No hiring UFN - there is a post about this on the wannabe forum. UAL say they are at 60 day readiness to re-commence, so at least that even if they gave the go-ahead tomorrow. Also, we have 8 747-400's up for sale, which will result in mega surplus sitch.

Sorry not to be more positive.

411A
19th Jul 2001, 04:53
Well guys, all this discussion about a serious pilot shortage on these forums for the last few weeks......it ain't here yet and will NOT likely be anytime soon.
If you have a job......don't make too many waves.

The Resistance
19th Jul 2001, 05:03
411a....you are a piece of work...! You must be one of the most naieve fools around. Yes, the numbers are bad.....might be for a year or two. No, aircraft don't fly themselves! United has THOUSANDS of retirements over the next 6-8 years....approximately 40% + of their seniority list. The management is reacting in the usual beancounter fashion of 'short-term' thinking. Panic and no thought for the big picture are their trademarks. They will be hiring thousands of pilots over the next few years. (The same applies to nearly all of the US majors...and a lot of the European airlines as well). You and your pathetic attempts to paint every situation as negative towards aircrew only serves to demonstrate how small minded and envious you are of others in this industry. Why don't you look at what it says just under your 'username' on each of your posts. Couldn't have described you better if I had tried......! :)

Oilhead
19th Jul 2001, 06:00
This is the actual notice the pilots get when they sign on. The wild card as I mentioned earlier will be how the 747-400 issue plays out; also of course teh AAA/UAL business. I hope this helps in some way. Oilhead

HDQVF 10JUL2226.50521
*******UNITED SUSPENDS PILOT HIRING*******
UNITED WILL SUSPEND PILOT HIRING IN SEPTEMBER, WITH THE LAST
CLASS OF 10 PILOTS STARTING AUG 6TH. THE COMPANY HAD PLANNED
TO HIRE A TOTAL OF 200-250 PILOTS THIS YEAR. UNITED HAS HIRED
185 PILOTS TO DATE AND WILL SUSPEND HIRING AT 195.
THE SUSPENSION IS DUE TO A SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION OF BLOCK HOURS
FROM THIS SUMMER'S HIGH, UNCERTAINTY ABOUT BLOCK HOURS FOR 2002
AND ACCELERATED B727 RETIREMENTS, FORCING UNDER AGE 60 SECOND
OFFICERS TO THE FIRST OFFICER SEAT.

DURING THE HIATUS, FLIGHT OFFICER EMPLOYMENT WILL CONTINUE TO
DEVELOP E-APPLICATION, PROCESS CANDIDATES, AND MAINTAIN RE-
CRUITING RELATIONSHIPS, SO THERE WILL BE A STRONG CANDIDATE
POOL WHEN HIRING RESUMES. INFORMATION AND NEWS ABOUT PILOT
HIRING IS AVAILABLE ON UNITED.COM/JOBS
FLIGHT OFFICER EMPLOYMENT WILL BE ACCEPTING E-APPLICATIONS ON
THE SITE IN SEVERAL WEEKS WHEN THE SYSTEM BECOMES AVAILABLE.
UNITED WILL RE-EVALUATE THIS DECISION MONTHLY, AND WILL BE
ABLE TO RESUME HIRING WITHIN 60 DAYS OF MAKING THE DECISION.

Brad737
19th Jul 2001, 07:54
Geez resistance, take a chill pill. A little case of forum rage goin' on here. Tell me, hows the job, money tight?, do you love your mother?

BOING
20th Jul 2001, 10:02
US business has ben trying to talk itself into recession for about a year. As a result of gloom and doom thinking and the usual short term priorities there have been severe reductions in business travel and spending. An interesting Wall Street Journal article today - article points out that airlines are not showing a great drop in load factors, just a drop in profits. Interestingly enough the article mentions that some of the perks that have disappeared for business travellers are the $45 room service breakfast and the $2500, repeat $2500, dinners for eight! It is amazing how our brilliant airline marketeers have managed to train travellers who can afford $400 dollars each for dinner (on expences of course) to argue over $20 extra for an airline ticket.

Airline fares in real dollar terms are still cheaper than they were twenty years ago. Our dumb airline managers need to stop giving away our product. I cannot remember when a US airline actually tried to sell the QUALITY of its service as opposed to its CHEAPNESS.

As for United's entry into corporate aviation. Aviation conventional wisdom in the past said that THE FIRST THING to go when things got tight was THE CORPORATE JET. Perhaps United is trying to corner the market in luxury jets to sell them at a profit when the economy turns round!

The Resistance
20th Jul 2001, 11:57
Brad. FYI, my mother passed away just 3 weeks ago. She died a very painful and lingering death, weighing just 55 pounds at death. She worked 3 jobs after my father left us when I was 10. Basically, she worked herself to death for the sake of my sister and I, and made everything possible in our lives. I fight for what I believe is right, and do so out of a strong sense of responsibility, honour and integrity.....qualities that she taught me. If you care to mention any other of my relatives (surviving or otherwise), I will be happy to give you a rundown on their status.

canuck revenger
20th Jul 2001, 22:32
Brad737. Bet your glad you posted that juvenile attempt at humour huh....??

(my condolences Resistance....and well done in showing 'Brad' to be a complete ******)

Celtic Emerald
20th Jul 2001, 22:50
Opps Brad

Think you put your foot in it major time mate. Think you owe someone an apology :(

Resistance

Your mother sounded like one in a million.
Sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace.

Emerald

The Resistance
20th Jul 2001, 23:03
Thank you, it's appreciated. I couldn't ask for a better person as a mother. Regards, Resistance

Tornado Ali
22nd Jul 2001, 02:44
Brad737. you silly boy..... how was the spanking...?? :p

Wino
22nd Jul 2001, 09:30
You guys dont understand what the internet is...

While I believe in another thread I am lining up to piss on Brad's grave, in this case he has really done no wrong. Use slang or expressions to make your point or feelings here is not the same as in the school yard, because Brad had no way of knowing what was going on with his target, indeed we have no way of knowing that his targets response was factual! I can say type anthing I want too, and it may or maynot be verified, That is the beauty of an annonmous forum. But this isn't the same as teasing some kid that was out of school last week to bury his mama...

And All you others piling on are frankly just a bunch of tossers...

Cheers
Wino

Celtic Emerald
22nd Jul 2001, 14:14
And you my dear Wino who lives in the big "PINK" house are a ‘piss artist’. Of course I don’t really mean it, it’s just a pun on your PPRuNe handle but just incase you do really like to get sloshed out of your tree every night I’m terribly sorry if I’ve struck close to the bone cause it being the Internet & all I wasn’t aware of who my target audience was :p

Opps did I hear someone whisper that Wino is one of the dreaded DPP: the ‘Dreaded PPRuNe Police’ :eek: Well draught that then gone & shot meself in me foot then haven’t I

Now for heavens sake would you just let us get on with enjoying our feelings of obvious moral superiority :rolleyes:

Emerald

[ 22 July 2001: Message edited by: Celtic Emerald ]

Wino
22nd Jul 2001, 16:35
see? again with the target audience thing, cause i dont have the vaguest idea what you are talking about!

So your post had zero effect. Maybe in the school yard had I grown up in with you, maybe I would know, but I don't... Hope it made you feel better though. While you may have been intending to insult me, you didn't.

You just made my point quite eloquently, thank you very much. You set out to insult me and couldn't. Just like I am sure Brad didn't and did!

Cheers
Wino

Celtic Emerald
22nd Jul 2001, 19:25
No Wino

You set out to insult I merely tried to wind you up, turn the tables as it were. If I had intended to insult you you'd know about it, if I have I apologise. But lighten up mate really.

I don't need patronising lectures from you to what the internet is about or what I should post on it, nor do I wish to be called English schoolboy names but I'd really rather not make an enemy out of you.

Regards

Emerald

fr8box
22nd Jul 2001, 21:17
We've gotten a little off topic haven't we? :confused:

Oilhead
25th Jul 2001, 17:09
Well the thread is going to hell in a handbasket!

This thread started with a surprise ;) announcement that UAL lost so much money because the leadership couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. We are in trouble, make no mistake. Jim Goodwin is getting a grease job from Wolf all the way; Wolf will need surgery soon to get Jimmy's tongue out of his a$$. Dutta is adrift with no capability of independent thought, and certainly no attempt or ability at being a leader. Steve Forte (Sen VP Flt Ops) is enjoying his million dollar a year job to the point that he lies low and does nothing to get himself noticed. So much so in fact that they have started posting his picture on milk cartons in the Chicago area - missing leader alert. The only person running the show is Andy Studdert who is determined to win back the pay concessions they gave to the pilots last year; this is his way of trying to get Jimmy's job. No one outside the company wants it, so we will have to put up with Goodwin, until the greedy BOD (with the exception of Rick) are replaced or start to look after the share-holder and employees. The situation right now is one of paralysis. We are in trouble, with no Captain to lead. At least with Gerald Greenmold we had communication and motivation.

Goodwin simply must go - whether or not there is a suitable replacement. He smiles too much...all foam and no beer.

So back to the thread! :D

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: Oilhead ]

411A
25th Jul 2001, 17:30
Oilhead--
Have lost track....need a score card. Is the UA/US merger on or off again? Cannot help but think US Air would be a bottomless pit for UA to pour money into.

BenThere
28th Jul 2001, 03:05
US AIR/UAL finally terminated today. One question I have is, do the persons getting captain's pay to keep quiet while flying in another seat face the upcoming cutbacks as well?

GlueBall
28th Jul 2001, 03:42
Wino & Emerald:

Don't let your job nor cyberspace get you frazzled.

It doesn't matter whether you work and think 14 hours a day, your brain will only give
you six.

:eek:

frequentboeingflyer
4th Aug 2001, 06:01
Hi resistance, I am sorry about your mom. But you started out by being very negative towards 411A, who expressed what he felt regarding the situation. He was negative not against you but about the industry in general. Who knows what he has been through. And then Brad took him into his defense and offended you by general terms, which he would have no idea would strike you that personal. And then he would have to take a lot of heat because he offended you without even knowing it. I don't think you or 411A or Brad are any worse persons because of this incident. But then again this is far, far off the subject. I will love to hear from all of you again in the future.
Take care all of you