PDA

View Full Version : Lost USB port

Woodpidgeon
21st Jan 2003, 17:06
Heres one for the techies. I have an Epson USB printer running on ME which requires a USB software port ( I believe EUSB1 ). When I installed the software originally it came as an option in printer preferences and the printer ran happily, using it for about 18 mths. Then the printer stopped working and after reinstalling every updated driver I could find, including ME, I found the EUSB1 port the printer required was no longer in the list of options, nor anywhere on the computer. I have since connected the printer through the 'old fashioned' printer cable and it works just fine, but still no USB software port.
Epson can't help and I can find no reference with the mighty Microsoft, so maybe one of you guys can help me out.

Ronbmy
22nd Jan 2003, 02:38
Open the control panel then open system.

Click on device manager and have a look down the list.

You should see a USB Controller listed. If not then that should be the problem. That could be a hardware or software fault.

If it does exist then turn the machine off. Remove the printer cable. Turn the machine on. Connect the usb cable to the printer then to the pc.

You should see a display on screen to the effect that the printer is connected.

If not, can you borrow another cable and try that.

If that doesn't work then try the printer on another pc.

If it works on another pc then the problem is your computer usb port and/or driver.

Woodpidgeon
22nd Jan 2003, 09:35
Thanks Ronbmy

The USB controller and root hub are listed and working correctly ( according to device manager ). If I uninstall them ME puts 'em back. Reinstalling drivers and unplugging/replugging cable connects the printer to LPT1 ( it's only option ), which does not work with USB connection. I have reinstalled the drivers for the printer, host controller, northbridge & southbridge, reflashed the BIOS, and ME itself, but it will not produce a USB option in printer preferences. The printer runs perfectly on a USB port on my laptop using XP. Could the problem be in the motherboard itself? because there aint much else to try.

phnuff
22nd Jan 2003, 12:28
Sounds daft, but did you actually use the same USB cable with the second machine ? Also, do you have any other USB devices you could plug in (with or without a cable)

Woodpidgeon
22nd Jan 2003, 14:18
Yes I used the original cable when connecting it to my laptop but am using a new one anyway. I also have a USB scanner connected which has a built in cable and works fine. Do you know if the errant USB software port ( EUSB1 ) is part of ME or one of the printer drivers, as this may narrow the field?

phnuff
22nd Jan 2003, 17:27
Do I know the history of the drivers ? No, I actually ditched ME very shortly after it arrived on one of my machines because I found it 'buggy'

I've just done a quick search and come up with this. It sounds as if you may have already done most of it, but it may be worth a look

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib4154.shtml#SEC37http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib4154.shtml#SEC37

There is also this link to Microsoft which lists a whole raft of ME USB issues (although nothing specifically Epson related)

The Epson site itself is a bit useless.

Let us know what happens with this one

shack
23rd Jan 2003, 08:40
I have recently had a similar problem with a USB connection on a ABIT KT7A Raid motherboard and resolved it by buying a USB hub that fitted in an empty PCI slot. Two birds with one stone the gear works and I have empty USB slots available.

Bon Chance.

Woodpidgeon
23rd Jan 2003, 09:58
Regarding the port overload, both measure below the 500ma max but the puzling thing is the 2 ports worked together for over 18mths with no probs, then just stopped. I will certainly read thro' the suggested link but will be away for about a week so will let you know if I resolve anything on my return.