PDA

View Full Version : Expected to pay for training? (Para Dropping)

Go-Around
21st Jan 2003, 13:36
Hi,
I've been offered a summer position dropping meatbombs. I won't give the location or the a/c type, because it would give the place away. (It's warmer than the UK though!!)
However, I have one reservation. I have to pay for the training, 5hrs on type at nearly £150 an hr.
As an unemployed CPL/IR I just can't afford it, but if that's what it takes...
Is this reasonable/normal??
Thanks,
GA

Edit: Forgot to say, the position is unpaid.

Waggon rut
21st Jan 2003, 14:52
That’s the way it goes.
I done the same a few years ago for three years on weekends and got 700+ hours in complex singles and twins. Plus I wrecked my beamer with all the miles I done. But it is a job, it's great fun and you get very good at flying. The best term I can use for the flying is "pushing the envelope" you could probably use this term for the night life as well.
Some of my experience that I have got you will never get being an F.I or just paying for your hours.
So have fun:cool:

witchdoctor
21st Jan 2003, 15:32
Small price to pay for experience you may not be able to get elsewhere. Not aware of anybody currently hiring who wouldn't appreciate a couple of hundred hours twin turboprop experience on top of CPL/IR. It will give you a huge advantage over fATPL holders with only 200 or so hours on pistons from the schools. I'll gladly swap anyday.

Hope it works out for you, and good to hear a success story at last.:)