PDA

View Full Version : Black Sat Fires in Canberra (Air Ops)

All Blacks
21st Jan 2003, 05:08
For those that are interested just got back from spending the past four days working in one of the Air Attack ships on the massive bushfires burning in the Australian Capital Territory. Below is a list of the aircraft we had at the Helibase.

2 x S-64E Aircranes (Erickson)
1 x K-Max (Superior Helicopters)
1 x 204 (Heliquip)
1 x 205 (Helipro NZ)
1 x BK-117 (Lifeflight Melbourne)
1 x 500E (Marine Helicopters)
2 x 206L (Helicorp & G & A Helicopters)
1 x EC-120 (Canberra Helicopters)
3 x 206B (Southwest Helicopters, Unknown)
3 x AS350s (Heli Aust, Rotor Lift)
1 x Seahawk (Royal Australian Navy)
1 x AS350 (Royal Australian Navy)

Basically we were airborne every day from the Friday I got there till yesterday. The first day we were based at Eurialla Helibase but at 10.0am on the Sat morning the McKinley fire we were working on got out of control and was headed back towards downtown Canberra. The helibase was evacuated and all equipment headed for the Nicholl oval which became the Helibase, at least so far anyway.
Sat was a day from ####. The fire was burning approx 20km away in the morning and with the spotting and ferocity of it, caused by 38 deg Celcius temps and 50 MPH winds it got up a head of steam. With aircraft stretched thin we did what we could but by 2pm things were getting real bad. We got a call from one of the other air attacks saying they needed the Crane around at Weston Creek as fire was already in the houses (Weston is a suburb of Canberra City). As we closed in the skies became black as night, the only way we could see anything was the brightness created by the burning hills and houses around us. It was like going through a tunnel of fire. Words cant really explain what it was like.

As we took the crane in to find some targets it got even darker. We were about 1/4 mile in front of Mike and Jim in the Crane and all they could see was our flashing strobe on the tail of the Longranger. Out in the smoke and fire were two other aircraft and it was a case of all eyes out the windows keeping an eye out. At 2.30pm it was like it was midnight, pitch black with an erie red glow.

Fast forwarding and when we finally handed the crane over to Ashley and jim in the other air attack machines we took the Kmax and headed for Duffy (this was the worst affected suburb losing over 200 houses). We had Mike in tow, sitting between our 5 and 6o'clock, only a hundred feet or so above the houses and at about 50 knots because viz sucked big time. We ended up going between tall building in downtown Woden as we inched our way to Duffy.

Once there it was like a war movie. One out of every ten houses were still there. It was impossible to work out where to start. Jayson and I started looking for targets for the Kmax as well as water sources but Mike had already decided to pull water out of the swimming pools. Now the Kmax is one #### of a machine, with a 100ft long line he was pulling water out of a pool behind a house that was already well alight and dropping it on the neighbours place to try and save that. It was an amazing and sobering sight. One old guy waved like mad at us to help as his house was just starting to burn so we got Mike over pointed out what was needed and after about ten loads from the neighbours swimming pool, the house was saved. Needless to say he was very greatful.

This was a common scene that afternoon and evening. Again fast forwarding. We had to bug out about 7.45pm and it was a very sombre mood with all the crews that night. However the stories were amazing. Our original helibase at Eurialla was over run by the fire and didnt exist anymore, nor did the town, all forty houses were gone also.

During one fire front we worked on Rick dropped me off to try and pull down a fence so that two horses could get out as they were cornered by fire. Being stuck in the middle of a fireground and relying on the Kmax and Tony in the AS350 to keep the flames back with bucket loads of water, while trying to rip the fences down, was a very character building moment and one I wont forget. These pilots do a #### of a job and for once I am glad that I got to experience their handiwork first hand. And yes the horses did survive.

Hope that gives you all an idea of whats going on with the Canberra fires and this is only one of the many fires burning in Australia. Am home until Friday and then back over to Canberra for the following four days.

AB

Giovanni Cento Nove
21st Jan 2003, 06:55
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/20/1042911332588.html>

All Blacks
21st Jan 2003, 07:18
Giovanni

Unless you were there you wouldnt have a clue as to how it all went. The media reports are very one sided. Not going to bother explaining any more.

AB

Giovanni Cento Nove
21st Jan 2003, 08:06
Fact is AB - I have been there many times and also in many different countries. It's media reports like this that STICK in the Aussie psych though. Mt Stromlo - first there January 1987. Australia is not unique in the aerial fire fighting game - just a latecomer. What's to say it won't happen again tomorrow somewhere else? Don't worry I have also been there with more tack available than you guys could ever dream about and still you lose the lot and you can only be in awe of the power unleashed. You're right unless you were there you don't know. Hopefully now the people charged with the big decisions may have been there and got an insight into what they are up against and put something more effective and reliable in place.

I see in your post the reference to "we". Which ship were you flying?

John Eacott
21st Jan 2003, 08:20
GCN,

Leave him alone. He may be an ocassional PITA, but he's our PITA. :p If he was riding in the Air Attack ship on Saturday, he deserves to claim what he likes.

Latecomers we may be, but we've now been watch on/stop on since October, with no end in sight. Only 40C forecast for the weekend, with at least 6 fires and 150km of firefront out of control, and that's just Victoria.....:( And my house in line :( :(

Giovanni Cento Nove
21st Jan 2003, 08:57
JE,

More power to AB as well. I know that he has done a lot in promoting the cause. Just had to point out that the media and/or bias cuts both ways. Regarding PITA - I thought something was missing around here. Had to have a lend. As to the weather etc. I know the feeling of sometimes being at the front end of a "pointed stick". Wanna swap?- snowing like hell here at the mo'. Best of luck with the house.

John Eacott
21st Jan 2003, 09:35
Snowing?? I'd kill for a week's skiing right now......:rolleyes:

All Blacks
22nd Jan 2003, 01:57
Giovanni

What I meant by having a clue is, as you would appreciate, unless the person reading the message was there, it is virtually impossible to relate how it was. I was flying with Jayson McKellar (Air Attack Supervisor) over the four days. The first couple of days we were in VH-TCE a Black 206L and then we used an AS-350B VH-EEB for one day while the Longranger was on check. It came back on the Sunday and we used it Sunday and Monday. Stu O'Malley was flying the 206L and Rick Howell was flying EEB.

With regards to the mainstream media, its amazing the way they report things. I looked in every paper the days I was there and not one word was mentioned about the helo crews and the work they were doing. I actually rang the editor of the Canberra Times and told him what I thought of their biased coverage - and Yes John I was nice to him :rolleyes:

What people dont realise is that those residents of Uriarra actually tried to vandalise a couple of the helos, helos which were there to help them. They also were told a couple of days before that they were in danger and should pack up and leave. Many of them basically told the RFS to F-Off, I know that because I was there. That person mentioned in the paper article actually came down to the helibase and was saying good job, great job, here are some more water sources you can use etc and now that he has lost his house, he is the poor victim, give me a break :mad:

We also had locals doing donuts around the helibase in a black Falcon and in one case throwing things at the helicopters. Even after this Tim Turner, Mike in the Kmax and Tony in an AS-350 still tried to save their houses. Makes you wonder why they bothered some of the time.

With regards to media bias, I know exactly what you are talking about because I get to see things from both sides of the coin, and sometimes it amazes me what so called "professionals" write.

Trying to educate the pollies is a whole different kettle of fish. I was on the plane home and the person sitting next to me was the Head of the Dept of Ag on the Federal level and we had a good chat. Gave me a list of all those that are the powers of influence so hopefully we can do some good that way. He used to be in Vic and was involved in getting the first Crane over there.

Anyway enough of my comments. Just thought I would pass this on.

AB

Giovanni Cento Nove
22nd Jan 2003, 06:13
Ah! the psych. Good to see that you have noticed these things from a different and fresh angle. Go AB! Pity you can't publish it all in HO. Might be interesting for you to visit the Med in the summer and/or Nth America to see a slightly different angle.

The "Australian" way of doing things. Just take a look at their Aviation regs - makes the UK system even look sane. Even their own lawyers don't understand it..... STOPPING RIGHT THERE. There isn't enough bandwidth available yet.