PDA

View Full Version : Second Interviews

SuPeRcHaRgEd
21st Jan 2003, 02:31
Hello all,

I am seeking some information on the process of the second interview in Hong Kong and any helpful specific information from candidates which may have attended recently.
I am aware that over the two days there is a Sim ride, group exercise, medical, Interview and cocktail party.
Would anyone know how much emphasis is placed on the simulator ride? Secondly if you are lucky enough to make it to a second interview what is the percentage chance that you might be given a start date?

Thanks in advance.

:)

joserjetdriver
21st Jan 2003, 16:12
I was in Hong Kong August.

They offered employment to 2 out of 8. Only word of advice...don't get drunk at the cocktail party or crash the sim....bad form

kellykelpie
21st Jan 2003, 23:59
The sim is the most important part, but as for the cocktail party-just enjoy it. I didn't get drunk but tipsee, and really enjoyed it. It didn't seem to hurt the result.

SuPeRcHaRgEd
22nd Jan 2003, 00:46
Gee,

Only 2 offered positions out of the 8. Those odds aren't too good !
I thought after flying you there at their expense they only wanted to re confirm their thoughts on you as a prospective employee and check you flying ability. Obviously most can't handle the sim ride hey?

jkden
22nd Jan 2003, 01:14
When we went to Hong Kong only 1 guy out of 10 was hired. They even turned down guys who flew for the U.N. and large airlines. We were quite suprised. Seems the SIM is the biggest - although the guy who got hired was really despondent after using it - usually deflates the ego. The cocktail party doesn't seem to be too much of a big deal. The medical is a pretty big deal though - some guys with higher blood pressure than usual due to stress. Good luck!

Sharfted Groundhog
22nd Jan 2003, 01:38
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched, Supercharged.... when we went up there they only took the people who had been flying as FO's in their jobs, and none of the captains, so go figure.

The trip to HK does not automatically mean you are in, there have been alot of instances where really good pilots have been turned down on their first trip up there. Many get second chances - alot don't.

The sim ride is only one very small portion of the interview process and I'm not sure whether it even plays an important part! There is the cocktail party where they want to meet your partner and make sure they want to go to HK, there is the testing, the medical, the interview and your general attitude to the whole thing.

If you go up expecting to get the job, they'll see right through it and I wouldn't like your chances!

shortly
22nd Jan 2003, 02:40
The sim ride is obviously very important. Looking for basic IF technique, ability to take instruction and accuracy. It is part of the 'total' picture but if you can't demonstrate basic abilities in the sim - well enough said. There is no bias against captains, light aircraft pilots or anyone. If the company brings you to HKG then they obviously think you have the potential to join. The rest is up to you. Nothing wrong with a bit of self confidence most of us pilots have it in spades. The whole process in HKG should be a pleasant experience, successful or not. Recruiting have the couple of days well organised and the sim assessors are generally very pleasant through your ordeal. Don't get your knickers in a twist about the cocktail party. Pretty hard to do too much damage to yourself in an hour or so unless you really try. You don't have to drink. The figures being quoted above about those offered jobs are not very repreentative. Plenty of groups up here with most of those invited, if not all, being successful. There has been a lot of dis-information posted on the advisability of taking a Classic sim ride before you come up. My advice is if you have the chance to do that then take it. At the very least it will show you what you are up against. Good luck to you all, look forward to meeting you.

joserjetdriver
22nd Jan 2003, 14:47
I think that if you are presently flying you have a better chance than if you are not. This due to the long wait. I was furloughed from a major US carrier and hve since resigned. However I am currently flying as Captain at a charter operation. I have been waiting for a class date since August. A friend with a very similar background, and I personally think a better pilot was not hired. I was vey surprised. I actually went to Hong Kong thinking I had no chance. Go figure...

Tungx2
28th Jan 2003, 04:49
hi. i'm just wondering about the chances of even getting a interview? did the people offered a interview applied at november or january?? what was their education level and level of work experience?

much thanx^^ guys and gals

:cool:

SuPeRcHaRgEd
29th Jan 2003, 03:36
Thanks to all who replied to my post!
There is some good advice in there. Seems like the best thing to do is to study hard, be yourself, try your best and not be too disappointed if things don't work out.

Can anybody who has completed the second interview recently give me any idea of what topics I can expect to be questioned on during the second interview?

Thanks again.

foxtel
31st Jan 2003, 06:47
Supercharged,

I completed 2nd interviews in early Jan and was offered start in Early March. They have run out of all candidates that have been successful so by ready for a quick start. Sim ride IS still the most important. Do yourself a favour and book in to QF for a practise, its well worth the cash just for the exposure. Interview was a lot easier then I expected and the rest was pretty standard and no suprises.
I went throough with 7 other people in total, and 4 of us got through but the other 3 may have got through to but havent spoken to them.
Nothing else to really speak of, I know its easy to say now, but just try and relax be confident and most importantly be yourself, there looking for a lot of SO's.

Good Luck.

SniperPilot
4th Feb 2003, 07:26
How long to wait for a first interview? Years? Rumour has it they are impressed if you front up in HK with application/update. True story??:O

ronnie123
4th Feb 2003, 07:51
Sniper,
No such thing. I have a right to live in HK. I applyed about 6 mths back still no news from them.:( :confused: :confused:

SuPeRcHaRgEd
4th Feb 2003, 22:48
Sniper,

I did exactly that, I was in HK for a holiday and arranged to meet one of the recruiting people in person some weeks earlier and personally handed them my update and had a short chat.
I did have my application on file with Cathay for over a year though before this.
I feel that this sped up the interview process for me!

Good Luck!

Cpt. Underpants
4th Feb 2003, 22:57
Cathay Recruitment need wannabee's littering the passages like they need a hole in the head. Of course they'll be nice to you, but speed up the application? What colour is the sky on your planet?

http://download.consumptionjunction.com/multimedia/cj_16676.gif

gissmonkey
5th Feb 2003, 00:47
captain jockstrap,

of course it's going to sped things up, lighten up dude.

Cpt. Underpants
6th Feb 2003, 03:19
Jizzmonkey

Waste your money if you want to, I really don't give a rats rump. As my "Raison D'Etre" states:

"Dedicated To The Elimination Of Stupidity In Aviation".

So, go ahead. Be stupid. Come to HKG for two minutes of standing in front of the ARM with your two-page resume' in your sweaty little hands. What do you think she'll say?

1. "Well, you're just the man! Let's do lunch!" "We'll put you on course ASAP!" "Please tell me that you can start tomorrow!" or

2. "Thank you. Nice to meet you. You're smaller than you look in your photo. We'll put your resume' into the system. You'll hear from us in a while. This is Anna, the secretary. She'll see you out. Bye Bye"

The $1000 postage stamp. Don't be an idiot.

BTW, The "urban legend" about a personal appearance came from two fellows who did pitch up to try for it. TWO YEARS LATER, they were interviewed. One was not accepted on medical grounds, the other recently had his employment terminated for failing a JF/O to F/O upgrade. Go figure.

shortly
6th Feb 2003, 07:30
Knickers man, where do you drag up those ridiculous statistics. I would suggest that if you were in Honkers, or in the vicinity, it would certainly be worth a visit to Kitty City. Give you a feel for the magnificent organisation you are aspiring to, at the least. And the recruiters will gladly give you some time and politeness. We are recruiting flat out at the moment, nothing wrong with appearing to be very keen. We have had many potential recruit visitors to CX over the years, certainly a lot more than 2 (two). Good luck.

gissmonkey
6th Feb 2003, 07:47
Hey nappies,

maybe it's time for a change? This time get a bigger diaper to hold more of your ****.:D

Cpt. Underpants
6th Feb 2003, 07:49
Shorts,

Are you SERIOUSLY encouraging these bones-of-their-ass types (financially) to spend $1000+ to come to Hello Kitty City to get "a feel for the magnificent organisation you are aspiring to"? The average new joiner from the USA has, on being hired for his first "Major" job, more than USD70,000 in debt.

There are presently more than 5000 QUALIFIED applicants in the system...suggesting that arriving at the Lion's Den to personally present your resume' will give you an advantage is something the ICAC should be interested in, to say the least.

Don't be absurd.

* ICAC = Idependant Commision Against Corruption (http://www.icac.org.hk/eng/main/index.html)

jumpingdoc
8th Feb 2003, 16:29
Well, Poopy Pants.

You do consistently demonstrate your pleasant personality.
The value of hand carrying your resume maybe debatable, however you don't need to be a horses as* as usual.:yuk:

shortly
9th Feb 2003, 00:04
Dear CU. Wish you would read a post before blithering on. I recommended to any aspiring CX pilot, IF THEY WERE IN THE VICINITY OF HONG KONG THEN DO PAY US A CALL. I doubt that means fly at your own expense from US or wherever specifically to visit Kitty City. ICAC - are you suggesting we get them in to audit the AOA?