PDA

View Full Version : Dubbo

logie_bear
21st Jan 2003, 00:59
G'day all,

Just curious for some info on the current GA scene in Dubbo.

Going to be there in the next couple of weeks and was thinking about doing a bit of dual while I was out there.

Anybody been out there lately and/or have any info on schools, aircraft types etc?

Ta,
l_b

Mooney Operator
21st Jan 2003, 02:52
Give Brian a call at Dubbo Flying School 0427 270 776 or 02 6884 4908.

It is pretty quite up there with the schools. If you get an answering machine just leave a message and they will get back to you.

I sometimes hire their C172. I am not too sure what other aircraft types are available.

:) :) :)

The PM
21st Jan 2003, 03:51
Greetings from Dubvegas!!

You will find Dubbo flying school is essentially no more.

Try Rob Jacobsen at Western Plains Aviation - 152, 172 basically but can get hold of other types.The number is 02 6884 6709. You could always try Narromine, its a 20 min drive from Dubbo and a reasonably busy place as far as GA goes.

OzExpat
21st Jan 2003, 07:21
A great shame that Dubbo Flying School no longer exists. I knew the place well, from the middle 70s to very early 80s. The CFI at the time was Noel Howe - a really good bloke. That was in the days of the old Dubbo FSU, Davey Air Services and a one-man charter company that was called Air Link.

"Dubvegas" was my birth place but I haven't seen it since December 1985... probably wouldn't even recognise the place now. :(

The PM
21st Jan 2003, 09:14
OzExpat,

You will be saddened to hear that Noel passed away about a year ago.I did my ab initio with him (as did many others), in the late eighties early ninties.

Mooney Operator
21st Jan 2003, 23:51
The PM,

When did Dubbo Flying School Close? :( It has been two years since I hired their C172. Do you know what happened to the C172 or has the other school got it?

I am heading up there this long weekend to see my folks.

What is Western Plains Aviation charging an hour for their 172 for private hire?

I have flown Noel’s piper CUB. I see it down at Wagga parked now.

the looka
22nd Jan 2003, 04:47
For a more "unique" duel experience, try talking Dave with the shiny airplanes into a session of night circuits.

OzExpat
22nd Jan 2003, 07:18
Thanks PM, I hadn't heard about it. Aviation has lost a very fine and gentlemanly instructor. He was very well and widely known so I'm sure that the funeral was well attended.