PDA

View Full Version : Is it a Virus?

Dom Joly
20th Jan 2003, 21:34
Tried opening Word up and it flashed up on the screen before closing down again. Thought I'd done something wrong and tried again and again it automatically closed. Since then I have turned my computer off and on but with no success. Tried Virus checking the hard drive - still no joy. I have found that it also occurs with Excel. If I hold a key down whilst they are opening the packages remain open. However, as soon as you click the mouse to move the cursor the package shuts down. Machine is running XP and has never had any probs with it in last 6 months.

Has anyone else come across this or any solutions?

Dom Joly
21st Jan 2003, 08:19
Thanks for your reply 'Southwest'. Did exactly as you said but MS Office programs still close immediately after I've opened them. Suprised that it could be a virus as I use SystemWorks2002 with Symantec 'LiveUpdate'?!

The only things I can think of trying is to delete MS Office and or reinstall XP. Don't like to do this as I always seem to end up misplacing or losing documents.

stickyb
22nd Jan 2003, 06:43
Have you recently installed any new MS software?

This can be a known behaviour of MS software if pirated copies are in use.

Had a friend who had a perfectly legal installation of MS office, the full monty, all working ok.

Then he loaded a bootleg copy of MS Project, and everything started behaving the way you describe - load flash screen, then drop out.

There is an entry on MS KE base which I can find for you if needed, let me know.

phnuff
22nd Jan 2003, 12:24
If you wanted a very up to date and free additional virus check, you could try http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ which will check your machine for you. Takes time to do as it does a significant amount of downloading first, but you don't actually have to register.

Dom Joly
22nd Jan 2003, 18:48
Thanks one & all for the advice.

Tried all of the above recommendations but nothing helped. Eventually had to wipe Excel and Word from hard drive and reinstall. Thankfully it seems to be working normally now.