PDA

View Full Version : thalassemia and airlines

xn2206
20th Jan 2003, 09:03
In case you don't know, it is something similar to sickle cell disease.

Does it mean the end of all hopes?

Labarynth Seal
23rd Jan 2003, 00:19
Seek Medical Advice preferably from an haematologist, but, surely you must have got advice on it before your medical?

LS

QDMQDMQDM
24th Jan 2003, 18:18
I don't know what the actual rules say, but clearly with thalassaemia major you'd have no chance. Conceivably, with some varieties of thalassaemia minor a person could function as a professional pilot. However, I suspect that because crises can occur in thalassaemia minor (in the form of red blood cells bursting apart) when the person is subject to hypoxia, that many licencing authorities would say no.

My suggestions are:

1. Ask your own licencing authority.
2. Ask the Cyprus licencing authority what they do, since thalassaemia is endemic there.

QDM

xn2206
31st Jan 2003, 04:56
thanks for the informative replies and suggestions, but im only 19 now and still in my studies, haven't got much money to look for any aviation doctors right now.

I was rejected from air force because of that, and all i know is im not gonna get into elite military units.

I guess i'll still have to live in doubt then go apply for SIA, then I'll know the answer the hard way....

anyway, have anyone with a-thalassemia minor and manage to get into any airline?
fyi, my hb level is on the high end,the doctor said something about 13.5 is that good or am i too fat? :)

Still, thanks to all and good day!