PDA

View Full Version : What have I done to Adobe Acrobat?

GoneWest
19th Jan 2003, 13:08
Have been using Adobe Acrobat for donkeys years to print out all those cute .pdf files.

Went to print something last week, and every line of "text" came out as a line of small squares.....just row after row of little squares.

Had another go yersterday -- with a different document. Same thing. Row after row of small sqaures, no text.

Any ideas??

Whilst I'm here - I have another one. I was reminded recently that there is a control function of a wheel (scroll) mouse that will allow you to increase or decrease the size of the text that you are reading on a page.

I was reminded because I have, somehow (accidentally), made all the text go very small - somebody please remind me what to do to get it back to readable size, please!!

Spitoon
19th Jan 2003, 15:35
Not sure about the scrolling.

What version of Acrobat are you using? Reader or full package? #it's up to version 5+.

PDFs produced by each version differ slightly. Although the different versions of PDFs are largely backward/forward compatible, occasionally I've come across odd problems with some of the newer functionality in Acrobat.

spannersatcx
19th Jan 2003, 16:48
Adobe Acrobat Support (http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/150d6.htm)

cossack
19th Jan 2003, 16:50
Hold down CTRL and scroll the mouse wheel.

GoneWest
21st Jan 2003, 21:43
Thanx to one and all - have the text sizing sussed now....BUT...despite uninstalling Adobe and replacing it with a brand new copy - it still doesn't work.

The .pdf's are forms from the CAA web site - which I can download easily from the office computer - but not my home one??

Windows XP - and a brand new copy of Acrobat Reader. Humphh.

Ronbmy
22nd Jan 2003, 02:20
It is a FONT problem by the sound of it.

Each square represents a character that your system does not recognise. You will notice the same effect if you try to view kanjii characters on most systems.

Have you removed any other software recently? - This causes most problems.

You may have the system/software set to display a non existant font.

You can also cause the same problem by trying to force software to read a non-compatible document.

Just food for thought to get you started on the million & 1 things it could be.

Spitoon
22nd Jan 2003, 17:15
Have you asked the CCA if they can explain it?