PDA

View Full Version : Which School for the IR RENEWAL

few@two
11th Dec 2001, 17:42
Its coming up to that time where many myself included will need to renew the IR. Please could I have some opinions regarding the best place to renew the Instrument Rating. Taking into consideration cost and obviously quality of refresher training.

Rumours would suggest Bristol or Oxford as the leading candidates .... or Cabair??

Any advice would be appreciated

cheers, few :)

FI
11th Dec 2001, 18:28
You can do a renewal at Cambridge with Marshalls. There is a fella called Daz, a test pilot, who does IRs in a beautiful Aztec. The aeroplane is great and he is a fair - what more could you ask for? I think they charge about £225 per hour including the examination fee and all approaches.

The best number is 01223 373214.

He did mine and it worked out well for me.

Vmike
11th Dec 2001, 20:18
Before I got a proper flying job, I always used to renew mine at Redhill Aviation in Surrey. Islam, their examiner, is a decent guy who treats a renewal as it should be treated. His missus, Jill Develin, is a CAAFU examiner and BA captain, who I also always found very reasonable. Either way, if you **** up, you fail; if you're fairly competent, then you pass. If you need a bit of a sim refresher, Keith Myers at the same place is the man to go to. Ex-Concorde captain and all that - top man! Nuff said. :cool:

Quidditch Captain
12th Dec 2001, 16:05
Redhill Aviation good for most things in fact. Not the plushest setup, but then they focus on the aviation aspects and the instructors/examiners are top rate.

GAF4139
13th Dec 2001, 01:12
I can only agree with the above two posts. I am currently doing my PPL with Redhill Aviation and later I am planning to do my CPL/IR and ME there as well.

GAF4139

ElNino
13th Dec 2001, 20:40
What exactly is required for the Renewal? How is it compared to the initial test?

Polar_stereographic
13th Dec 2001, 21:08
ElNino,

I'd like to know the answer to that too. It used to be quite lenient (sp?), but I'm led to understand that there is very little difference in the renewals compared to the innital one.

Certainly, a renewal with a CAAFU examiner (as is in my case), there is no difference, so I'm led to understand.

I'd love to hear differenty.

PS

CAP509castaway
13th Dec 2001, 23:27
It is almost the same as the initial - engine failure after take off, single engine ILS abd NDB and possibly recovery from unusual attitudes. My recommendations are Multiflight in Leeds and Humber Flying Club. Try and get some practice on adedicated simulator.

QNH 1013
13th Dec 2001, 23:49
Just done my first renewal and it was a lot more pleasant (and cheaper) than the CAAFU test.
The format was fairly similar including the recovery from unusual positions, but I don't remember having to do the recovery from the banked incipient stall and the recovery from the approach stall in the renewal.
The main difference was that the rush to do all the planning and filing within 45 minutes was absent.
Flying standards required were same as for initial flight test.
The aircraft I used was fitted with screens, but I believe that any suitable aircraft can be used (i.e. the a/c doesn't need to be CAAFU approved) and foggles are an acceptable alternative to screens.
Good Luck.

ps I did three sim sessions in the weeks prior to renewal and these helped a lot.

flite idol
14th Dec 2001, 07:03
OK chaps and chapess` I also am coming up on the time to renew or face the spector of an initial if I ever want to fly on airways again in a G-REG. I have flown about 2500 hrs for a non-UK airline since my last test so I am fairly current and looking for the most inexpensive option. Any suggestions appreciated, sims or twins, economy is the key. This is the best source for industry info so please help if you can. Thanks, e-mail in profile.