PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year for a visit to Melbourne via Hong Kong.

Tom the Tenor
18th Jan 2003, 13:09
Hi there everyone - greetings from Cork, Ireland. The wife and I are hoping to visit Melbourne in the next year or so and we should like to get there via a short stopover in Hong Kong. What I was hoping to find out here is what would be a good time of the year to travel for such a unique and once-off trip. Thank you. :)

Ash767
18th Jan 2003, 20:08
Tom the Tenor

Not really sure regarding best time of year for Melb as I am more or less a Sydney sider, maybe Autumn at a guess.

Anyway I wish I was in your part of the world. Cork is on my list to visit next. I missed it when I was in Ireland. So much to see and so little time.

Ash767

QNIM
18th Jan 2003, 20:20
Tom the best weather I think is from March to May in Melbourne but if you are going to stay over in Hong Kong it starts to get hot and humid from about March. Hope that helps cheers Q :)

zalt
18th Jan 2003, 20:27
Tom - act fast the Avalon airshow is in mid Feb!

Blue Hauler
18th Jan 2003, 21:04
Tom,

I don't know when would be a good time to visit Melbourne...but if you were thinking of a visit to Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Alice, Hobart or Tropical North Quensland...ANYTIME!:D

BlueEagle
18th Jan 2003, 23:25
Well, I live about 100kms to the East of Melbourne and if last year is anything to go by then I vote for the Southern Autumn, as mentioned above, March to May.

Tom the Tenor
19th Jan 2003, 09:12
Thank you all for such kind replies - you have been very helpful. Well, if God keeps us all safe it looks like we will travel next year in the autumn between the March and May. Ash767, hope you do make it to Cork next time - we do have the best bars in Ireland and, of course, the best stout, Murphys!! Far more palatable than that Arthur G stuff. QNIM, we should be able to endure the heat and humidity in HK at that time of year as it will be just a few days, 3 or 4 at most. Looking forward to Austalia - trip of a lifetime. :)

Ash767
20th Jan 2003, 05:43
Enjoy your trip to Oz. It's a great place!!:)

QNIM
20th Jan 2003, 19:39
Hey B H BUGGA OFF
Where is the greatest airshow held in OZ every second Febuary. Tom sorry but couldn't help myself.
Hope your trip here meets your expectations. Cheers Q :D

Ang737
21st Jan 2003, 01:36
Hi Tom

Is the Shellbourne still open in Cork. One of my favourite establishments while in Cork a few years ago. Back in sunny Melbourne now (no reply QLDers)

Ang ;)

code7700
21st Jan 2003, 03:09
No doubt it will be 1st November 2003.

Weather - as good as it gets in Melbourne.
Rugby Australia vs Ireland and yes we will be kicking some paddy b*&^.)
Victoria Derby day - one of our best days racing,

and ML CUP only 3 days away, and if history is any guide an Irish horse will probably win too.

:D :D :D :D :D

Tom the Tenor
21st Jan 2003, 04:15
Hi Ang737, The Shelbourne Bar is still there at McCurtain Street alongside the Metropole Hotel. Have been in The Shelbourne just the once about 14/15 years ago just after opening time at 10.30 am for a quart with a good pal of mine who has, sadly, since passed away. That was our second bar that morning! The memories - what a laugh. If I get a chance on Wednesday I will take a digital photo of the pub and pass it on when I can. At work at the moment so must stop now. Kind regards from Model Farm Road, Cork!