PDA

View Full Version : To all US flying schools.. a question please..

SEAGULL09
11th Dec 2001, 15:37
Thankyou.. I have just completed my JAA CPL and Multi engine IR here in the UK and now have 380 hours total time. In your opinion what are the chances of myself coming over to the USA, converting my Licenses, obtaining my FAA Flying Instructor ticket and gaining employment with you with a J1 visa. Is this really viable in your opinion please?? I appreciate your comments..

Crash Barrier
11th Dec 2001, 17:42
I would have thought with your 'super duper' jumped up JAA licence that you would not lower yourself by taking a job in the U.S.

BTW, do you really think they would be interested in someone of your ability, when they have pools of thousands with real 'AIRLINE TIME' that just so happened to be furloughed after recent events.

Wake up and smell the coffee, YOU choose the JAA route, so YOU stick with it!!

Tough luck Buster!!!!!

p.s. message to 'little timmy Blackknight', this will be the kind of post you will be sticking on this forum, if you pass...

bow5
11th Dec 2001, 18:00
Er...Crash Barrier, you don't think that the lack of airline jobs right now maybe why he wants to instruct a bit. Just a thought.

A little harsh maybe? :eek:

Must be fun and games talking to you on the radio :p

[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: bow5 ]

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
11th Dec 2001, 18:03
Crash Barrier
I don't like you.

OAT-Texas
11th Dec 2001, 19:09
I actually think it would be a good idea to come to the US as a Flight Instructor - as long as you do it legally.

We are still looking at an instructor shortage in the US. Considering the regionals are going to start hireing again arround 3rd quarter 2002 it would be safe to assume that many american instructors will jump off to join them.

The time is right to broaden your horizons and if you then have FAA and JAA ratings you will be very marketable worldwide.

Good luck!

Gaza
11th Dec 2001, 19:32
Crash Barrier

Have you ever heard the saying "make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth (or thoughts) in to gear"? Read his post again and you will see that he's not looking for an airline job but an Instructors position to help hour build. Do you really think he'll be competing with furloughed pilots for that sort of job??

englishal
11th Dec 2001, 19:41
erm...well he might be actually. I know people who went into the airlines, and becasue of sept 11th were binned, and now working back as instructors.

You'd probably stand a better chance if you go to a school, do all your training with them, and then ask for a job. Another thing you could do is approach the CAA registered schools in the US, as to train for the JAA licence abroad the instructor has to have "knowledge" of JAR....whatever that means!

Mind you, to instruct in the US you will have to do your CPL, IR, CFI / CFII check rides / exams, so it'll cost a bit of dough.

spitfire747
11th Dec 2001, 19:58
Crash Barrier

Nothing like a bit of good old fashioned positive advice !

mad_jock
11th Dec 2001, 21:01
Wellone definate bit of info is that you are not allowed a J1 visa if you already have over 100 hrs and anything more than a PPL.

The good bit: With your super dupa JAR lic for 6000$ approx you can get your CPL,IR, and CFI, and for another 3k your CFII. So for approx 5 grand UK you will be in the position to teach in the US if you hold a work permit.

There was a rumour last time i was over there that when JAR finally decides what to do with the US training one of the ideas may be that the only instructors who are allowed to do jar training will be jar trained FI's. Who of course will need to be CFI's to comply with the FAR's.

This should stop the students having better technical knowledge than the instructors ;)

MJ

StrateandLevel
12th Dec 2001, 01:57
NPA14 has been adopted. PPL Training in the US and other non JAA States will have to be approved from 1 March 2002. Non JAA instructors will have to complete 15 hours flight training and 30 hours ground training with a JAA FICI and pass a test with a FIE before instructing for JAA licences.

Could be a demand for JAA licence holders!

Guy Bowen
12th Dec 2001, 02:31
Crash Barrier,

Get a life, instead of just putting down those who already have one!!!!!! The purpose of the Wannabe forum is not to put people down but instead give good advice and encourage. Some pilot must have really p****ed you off, or is it perhaps envy??

twinkletoes
12th Dec 2001, 04:10
Try talking to the major trainning acadamys direct.
Comair (Sandford FL)/American Flyers(Poampano Beach FL)/Westwind acadamy Scotsdale i think AZ). All had or used to have a policy of taking on there own instructors and can help arrange a visas. Comair also have/had strong links with Delta so you never know.
I pretty sure mad jock is wrong about hundred hrs and ppl, I did it a while ago but didn't work there.
However problems will occur if you have a US CPL. I don't know if this also includes a JAA CPL. Bear in mind though, lots of US acadamys seem to be very good at telling you what you want to hear.

masseygrad
12th Dec 2001, 06:27
mad-jock,

i'm curious about the restriction on a J1 visa if you have PPL/100 hrs +

any chance you could supply a ref for this info, as it's very relevant to me

cheers...

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: kiwee ]

englishal
12th Dec 2001, 16:41
Don't think the 100 hours thing holds. After all, if I'm over in the US training for my CFII then I am a student, but must have more than 100 hrs.

I know many Brits working as FIs in the US on 2 year visas. Started out training for their CPLs / CFIs then spend the remaining time on their visas working as FIs.

presbycusis
12th Dec 2001, 20:12
I think you'll find that if you're applying for a J1 Visa to be an instructor, then there is no hours/licence restriction. There are plenty of instructors at WMU on J1 visas who have many more hours and much more experience thatn that!

Facts Not Fiction Pls
12th Dec 2001, 22:42
J1 visa requirements:

You are not eligible for a J1 visa should you hold more than a PPL and 50 hours post PPL exam.

The purpose of the J1 visa program is a partnership with the originating country to complete an exchange program. The student is to arrive in the US, gain his/her licences, use those licence to gain experience that will be taken back to the home country to use there.

pipergirl
12th Dec 2001, 23:05
it's nice to see that people who are trying to make the most of themselves are asking questions aimed at professionals. it's good to see people are trying to get info to further their careers etc.....and it's such a pity that mindless s"*!heads step in from time to time with c r a p ....... the only thing i have to say to that person(who obviously has a grudge and, hello, this is not the place to air it esp at wannabes) is WHATEVER!!!!!!

get off the cross honey, somebody needs the wood! :p

AH64 APACHE
12th Dec 2001, 23:49
So If someone has a Frzn ATPL and 250 hours - can they go to a US school and get a flying instructors job if they spend the money converting at the school where they will then instruct?
Anyone got any real ideas and none of this BS that some people enjoy posting (Why do they bother - can't see the point myself)
:rolleyes:

OAT-Texas
13th Dec 2001, 00:26
Apache..the simple answer is YES. A web site that might help you with the J-1 Visa is http://travel.state.gov/visa;exchange.html
While it does not specifically answer your question there it should give you some more information about the whole concept of J-1 Visas.

One thing that needs to be remembered is the fact that the US Embassy (or Consulate) issues the Visa. This means that no matter what the rules say they can deny your application for a number of reasons.

The approved school is responsible to sponsor your petition (IAP-66 Form) then it is up to the Consulate to approve you.

In terms of previous flight training...as far as I understand the requirement is for you to be FAA untrained. We have sponsored students in the past that had foreign ratings with only FAA PPL - some got the visa some did'nt but that again was up to the US consulate.

Hope that helps!

DesiPilot
13th Dec 2001, 02:44
Dear All,

I am sorry to be the one to break the news but at present time there are not too many job for flight instructors.
Before September 11th we were looking for FI's but couldn't find many. After September 11th I am receiving almost 2 resumes everyday. Remember all those pilots who were laid off or furloughed are also flight instructors.
My advice before you spend any money on your FAA flight training also, please find out if there are jobs available in the market. No point spending that money if you cannot find a job.

englishal
13th Dec 2001, 10:20
Well, bottom line is it all depends on your sponsor. If you train for your CPL / CFI at a particular school, then you have more chance of getting a job.

Technically, you also need a J1 to train for a US rating as a foreigner, but quote " as we examiners don't talk to the INS its not a problem"....

Crepello
8th Jan 2003, 11:01
I'll awaken this thread as constraints of the US J-1 visa could dictate my future! I currently have an FAA PPL and 98 hours. If anyone can shed light on the following, it'd be much appreciated:

1. If I were to apply after passing JAR ATPL theories, would I fall foul of the 'nothing more than a PPL' rule?

2. Previous posts state a maximum of 100 logged hours, and/or a maximum of 50 since the PPL exam/checkride. Do these both apply?

3. How's the current US job market for CFIs?

Thanks ;)