PDA

View Full Version : BA Cadets refusing employment

Mister Geezer
11th Dec 2001, 05:48
As many of you know, BA Cadets are finding that it will take slightly longer until they get into mainline due to the current climate that we are in. I recently heard that some BA cadets have been offered jobs with BA Citiexpress. At my local airport 6 positions were offered to Cadets but the amazing thing is that 2 people actually refused the offer of employment. If it is due to family reasons then fair play. However assuming that they can re-locate, then I find it rather puzzling that Cadets are turning down an offer to fly that will get them into the BA seniority system plus earning a wage, whilst flying at the same time. Maybe some cadets aren't interested in turboprops and are maybe waiting on getting into mainline at some point in the near future. Doesn't make sense to me!!!!!!

Anyway more jobs for the rest of us to fill!

Maybe Sicksquids posting which was 'grab whatever you can get' is relevant here?????

Regards

MG

Autofly
11th Dec 2001, 12:23
I agree, this just doesn't make sense ..... as I discovered at the last round of seminars at Gatwick, the one thing Danny & co hammered home was that first flying job you get will be one of the hardest jobs you'll ever go for. Surely in the current climate even the BA cadets would be out there hunting too. Obviously as mentioned by MG there maybe circumstances we are not aware of.

The other question is, if they took the job offered would this not keep their licence current?? If they refused the job then would BA have to shell out more cash on them when they finally give them jet job?? If this is the case could BA force them to take a job?? I don't know much about ATPL validation processes (yet).

Cheers
AF

[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: Autofly ]

spuds
11th Dec 2001, 13:05
Bad info.

No BA Cadets have turned down any flying postions. Out of 24 working various ground duties in B.A. all will be flying by the end of March.

All the best

Spuds :confused:

[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: spuds ]

Mister Geezer
11th Dec 2001, 18:32
Spuds

Thanks for the info. I was speaking to someone who was invited to send in his CV due to the 2 places that were up for grabs. Maybe the cadets who turned down the first offer were offered an alternative base more to their liking?????

Still IMHO I feel that it is not the time to be picky about your first job!

All the best to those Cadets who are joining Citiexpress in the near future.

MG

Pandora
11th Dec 2001, 22:59
Having been in the situation where BA offer you something which is not what you were led to think you would be offered and given a very short timescale to provide a coherent response I know it is easy to hesitate and be slightly bewildered at what you are expected to do next. After months of jumping through hoops, this is this last big hoop before that first pay packet. However I don't know of anyone who has actually turned down the offer of a job anywhere. These cadets are working filling the printers with paper at the Compass Centre and have been given the personal opinions of virtually every pilot in BA who didn't get what they expected, including pilots who have done up to 4 years as cabin crew, pilots who spent years in the offices, and pilots who didn't get any job at all for ages. They all advise taking the first thing on offer and then be insufferable with the line 'When I was cabin crew...'

I would add that there will probably be the person who wanted an Aberdeen base being offered Cardiff, with the person who wanted Cardiff being offered Aberdeen. There will almost certain be a bit of bartering going on. However what you need to remember is that BA cadets are not spoilt brats who turn their nose up at anything except the LHR Airbus fleet. They are very aware that where they are is the product of a lot of hard work with a dash of good luck, and that a job flying any aircraft type for any large airline is a good thing.

It is a difficult situation to be in (especially the ones who have already moved house, bringing a family with them, once. Remember some of them had LHR and LGW start dates confirmed,) so don't snipe. Wish them a bit more of that good luck, because in todays airline environment we all need it.

Mister Geezer
14th Dec 2001, 04:26
Pandora

My intention was not to snipe at the Cadets concerned. I actually know a few Cadets myself and they are all a good bunch. The ones that I know well have said that they will take anything that BA offer them therefore I was slightly puzzled why a couple of cadets refused the first offer that BA placed before them. I was definitely not trying to attack the folks concerned. I would say that I was curious more than anything and a bit puzzled to say the very least.

As Spuds has said they were obviously offered alternative bases and as I said earlier I wish them all the best within Citiexpress. :)

MG