PDA

View Full Version : Headaches flying SELP

VORTIME
17th Jan 2003, 21:02
Hi,

Anyone ever expeirence headaches after most flights in a single-engine light aircraft. I have a rather good ANR and don't usually suffer from anything, nevermind these headaches I contract.

VT

QDMQDMQDM
17th Jan 2003, 22:02
Have you thought of posture as a cause?

QDM

VORTIME
17th Jan 2003, 22:04
I can't imagine so - I think may be something to do with the vibrations.
VT

Loose rivets
17th Jan 2003, 23:37
Are you sure that it is not a sinus problem? Pressure over the eyes, back of noes etc.
this can be caused by a pumping up ( or down ) in the manner of a one way valve. The leak back to normal taking some hours.

Tension due to concentration can become programed to come in on cue. Concentrate on relaxing round the back of neck...feel if muscles feel tight and then massage a little. (Closely related to QDM's post. ) So often finding the cause will make it stop happening.

Wear good sunglasses etc etc

redsnail
18th Jan 2003, 20:03
Not knowing exactly where the head ache is sited it could be a number of things.
Eye strain
Too tight a head set band.
Tension head aches
Dehydration.
Poor posture
More frighteningly it could be Carbon Monoxide poisoning as single engine aircraft usually use an exhaust shroud for heating.

VORTIME
18th Jan 2003, 22:18
Thanks for your reply, just to address each

Eye strain - unlikely but nonetheless possible.

Too tight a head set band - I'll loosen it next time.

Tension head aches - most probable.

Dehydration - unlikely.

Poor posture - possibility, my knowledge of which is somewhat limited. Any tips or recommendations regarding such would be appreciated.

More frighteningly it could be Carbon Monoxide poisoning as single engine aircraft usually use an exhaust shroud for heating.

Had a case of it on a recent flight but occurs on some flights even without use of the air heater.

Thanks
VT

gingernut
19th Jan 2003, 21:04
Always a bit tricky to diagnose cause of headaches...especially over the net. There are about 200 different causes I can think of, most of them not serious.

When did they start, how long do they last, do they come at any other time? What relieves them ? Have they always occured when you fly ? Is it when you are PIC or passenger also ?

Why not visit your quack, to exclude the serious causes, then we can have a stab at helping.

VORTIME
19th Jan 2003, 21:10
When did they start - typically after an hour or more flying.

how long do they last - generelly I try to sleep them off.

do they come at any other time? Never, I tend not to suffer from headaches or any other medical condition.

What relieves them ? Sleep.

Have they always occured when you fly? It think I've always had some sensation but since they're not severe I haven't thought too much about them. More like a little "head heavy".

Is it when you are PIC or passenger also ? Yes if front seat pax, no if back seat.

Regards
VT

Ronbmy
26th Jan 2003, 22:32
When did they start - typically after an hour or more flying.

What relieves them ? Sleep

Is it when you are PIC or passenger also ? Yes if front seat pax, no if back seat

It could be glare related or eyestrain.

Well worth a quick visit to the optician. If nothing else the check up would remove this possibility and allow you to concentrate on other sources.

More frighteningly it could be Carbon Monoxide poisoning....

On any system you will get leakage as the seals are not perfect.
Given the price of CO monitors it is a sensible option to get one and take it flying. This would at least alert you if the level went above safe limits. What price life?

flyboy2
13th Feb 2003, 21:07
Here are a few more clues:-

1. Altitude ? - Hypoxia ?
2. Being unfit ?
3.High blood-pressure ?
4.Any alcohol / drug intake ?
5. Neck vertebrae need adjustment ?

Hope you find the cause !

VORTIME
13th Feb 2003, 21:12
Thanks for your reply flyboy2

Here are a few more clues:-

1. Altitude ? - Hypoxia ?
-- certainly not, the cloudbase is never above 2,000'!

2. Being unfit ?
-- realtivily fit, normal height/weight.

3.High blood-pressure ?
-- low blood pressure - 108 over something if I remember.

4.Any alcohol / drug intake ?
-- definitly not within 24 hours of flying. Don't binge drink anyway.

5. Neck vertebrae need adjustment ?
-- can you elaborate?

I drive a comfortable car and don't expeirence any effects. I wonder does it relate to posture?
Hope you find the cause !

Random Electron
23rd Feb 2003, 13:08
VORTIME.

A few years ago, I got the odd unexplained headache whilst flying.

Did the usual process of elimination, eg, eyesight checked, made positive effort to drink more water etc, none of which seemed to work.

A neighbour suggested a cyropractor who uses a very subtle form of treatment. Lies you down on a wonky couch, and inserts wedges under your back at different points. Whilst this is going on, some odd massaging of places like the web between your thumb and forefinger etc was taking place.

The result was astounding. You leave the clinic feeling as if you have just downed a tumbler of scotch on an empty stomach. Really light headed, almost out of it. (You are told NOT to drive home after treatment).

The headaches started to diminish after the first session, and disappeared entirely after about four visits (one a month).

This could be the neck and or back vertebrea adjustment flyboy 2 referred to.

I don't know if you are handy to London, but the practitioner I attended has her clinic in Blackheath.