View Full Version : Summer job-work experience for wannabes

wtpurser
8th May 2001, 01:58
At present I am at University and the inevitable dilema arises where I have to find myself a job over the summer.

I would dearly love to get a job linked to aviation as I am about to go down for BA aptitude tests for the second time. I have already tried B.A.A. at Edinburgh and Glasgow but no success.

Is there anyone around this area who would be able to help me out with some advice or even a job ! Whether it be ATC or airline related I would be thrilled to be taking an active part in aviation, as I feel this would be the most beneficial job for someone aspiring to be a pilot.

I would be very grateful to anyone who could point me in the right direction of a job around 25th June till mid September.

Hoping that anyone from GLA/EDI ATC are listening !

Any info or vacancies would be gratefully received and appreciated.

Cheers !
WT. :)

Up Up & Away
8th May 2001, 13:08
Try Serviceair at Edinburgh i belive they are crying out for people over the summer due to the increasing number of flights they have been asked to handle. Hope this helps

regards
UU&A

wtpurser
8th May 2001, 15:20
Yep thats great, don't have a number by chance ? And they are separate from BAA ?

Cheers,
WT.

wtpurser
8th May 2001, 15:35
UU&A,

Do you have any idea what sort of jobs they have on offer ?

positive_rate
8th May 2001, 16:07
WT Purser

Drop me an e-mail and I may be able to help
r.e jobs at Edinburgh

Mr Positive

wtpurser
8th May 2001, 16:35
Thanks Positive,

Check yer mail...

[This message has been edited by wtpurser (edited 08 May 2001).]

wtpurser
9th May 2001, 00:27
Any more info folks ??

Up Up & Away
9th May 2001, 14:34
I belive that they have a range of jobs. eg Passenger service agent, flight dispatch. I dont have the number off hand but if you give Edinburgh airport a phone they can give you the number for Serviceair.

regards
UU&A

positive_rate
9th May 2001, 14:47
WTPurser

Check your mail. Hope it helps

What does anyone else want to know?

Mr Positive http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif as the sun is shining in Edinburgh at the moment!

[This message has been edited by positive_rate (edited 09 May 2001).]

wtpurser
9th May 2001, 16:20
Cheers positve !

Need to cracking on that front before its too late...

WT.

mark152
9th May 2001, 16:25
Almost the samequestion but at LHR. Can anyone help!!

Thanks,

Mark.

KBaB
9th May 2001, 17:01
Same question again for Newcastle or North East area.

KBaB

NORDIC
12th May 2001, 09:08
KBab, if you are 18+ you should not have a problem finding something at Newcastle, as long as you are a good worker, and are ready for a busy summer!

You should try and get into either Despatch or Passenger Handling for one of the two handling agents.

If you go to despatch, you will be actively involved in working with aircrew all of the time, along with many many departments involved in the departure of an aircraft. This job is mostly outside, and is excellent to do. Job satisfaction is high, just be ready for those night Ibiza's going late (your job to try and rectify) and early starts!

Passenger handling/check-in etc is really more intensely customer service focussed, and is also a good option. This is however less operationally involved technically, but would give you a good experience of what goes on also.

I was in your position, and have done my time on the ground ( and will always be glad that I did it). All I can say is that during my time I met some excellent people, who supported me to the full, gained a knowledge which I know will always stay with me throughout my career, and was advised by people who have been in the industry for years and decades on how to build my career. Go for it, and you will realise that not only will you love it, but you will also learn alot.

People who you meet in this industry appear year in year out sometimes with many different companies. No doubt if you are going to fly afterwards, or train ( I don't know what stage you are at) the people you will meet during your time on the ground will be your colleagues in the future.

If you can, go to Despatch and you will always be glad that you did.

I have sent contact details to your email.

GOOD LUCK, and I may see you sometime.

NORDIC :)

wtpurser
12th May 2001, 12:43
Were you a dispatcher for servicair NORDIC ??

:) :-

[This message has been edited by wtpurser (edited 12 May 2001).]

Mike2001
12th May 2001, 20:48
I'm just about to leave school after A-levels. Very close to getting my PPL through Cabair, and am very interested in finding an aviation related job for a gap year starting September. Does anyone have any ideas?