PDA

View Full Version : Training in Canada?

22nd Mar 2001, 00:15
Has anyone ever thought of, or has trained in Canada? Then successfully converted to the CAA/JAA equivalent.
I was thinking about this as it is as cheap as the US but they are governed by Transport Canada regulations, who, I believe fall under ICAO, therefore making conversion to JAA relatively easy.
Am I right or way off the mark?
Any hidden extras I should know about?
Any feedback, advice or experiences would be great.

rolling circle
22nd Mar 2001, 00:49
152 - So far as the JAA are concerned there is no difference between a US and a Canadian licence. Both are issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 and both are non-JAA. There is no mechanism for converting a non-JAA licence no matter where it is issued, you would still have to pass all of the ground exams and skill tests.

edward robinson
22nd Mar 2001, 01:08
canada is a great place to train, concensus appears to rate transport canada standards above the faa. others may disagree. to convert a canadian licence to jaa:
if you hold a canadian cpl me/ir and you want a jaa atpl:
you must complete an approved atpl groundschool course and pass all the exams. then you must complete training at the discretion of the fto to pass the jaa cpl/GF flight test. then you must complete a 50 hr me/ir approved course for you me/ir and pass the flight test.
the cost of training is much cheaper here but your me ir is not recognised by the jaa... but you can do an approved jaa me/ir course in canada at canadian prices. if you did that you would save a bundle i believe.
besides the views in bc are superb.
I are canadian!!!!!

PPO
22nd Mar 2001, 18:26
Conversely, don't suppose you know how to convert from a JAA licence (ATPL, IR etc) to the Canadian equivalent ?

Thanks

kala87
1st May 2001, 16:01
I'm considering doing a multi-engined IR at Professional IFR Ltd, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
I already have UK CAA PPL/IMC/night ratings plus FAA private. Is there anyone out there who has trained with them? Any comments gratefully received.

Some specific questions:

1. Is Canadian IR training broadly similar to the FAA IR?

2. Are Canadian airspace procedures basically similar to procedures in the USA?

3. How easy is it to convert the Canadian IR to the JAR IR?

Thanks

TooHotToFly
1st May 2001, 16:05
I don't know about questions 1 and 2, but you receive no credit off the IR course for holding a Canadian IR - you have to complete the full approved course.

moose242
6th May 2001, 23:58
Kala87....

I did some training with Professional IFR many years ago. Did their exam seminar and a couple of sim sessions. Never did any flying with them though. Found their training system to be excellent and very informative.

The Canadian Instrument Procedures and Airspace System is fairly similar to each other. You won't have too many problems, however, I have seen quite a few US pilots find the Canadian IFR training a little challenging. I believe the training in Canada goes a little further....maybe due to procedures.

Hope that helps you.

hoender
5th Dec 2001, 20:20
Hi to everyone,

Very soon i want to start my CPT, I hope somebody out there can give me a better idea which school is better?,i did already all search possible,visit schools and so on , i'd just like to hear it from some of you,who might had taken the trainning in any of those schools : (hemisph air,Montreal flying club,Pro aviation,Carg air), thanks a lot see you soon on the air!! au revoir! :confused:

[ 05 December 2001: Message edited by: hoender ]

Canada Goose
5th Dec 2001, 21:00
Hoender,

You're probably asking the wrong crowd. The guys and gals who check out his site are mainly based and interested in European JAA state type affairs.

You would be better off posting this question on
http://www.syz.com/avcanada/forums/viewforum.php?forum=1&140

Not being overly familiar with Montreal from a flying perspective I can't unfortunately advise you.

Bon chance mon ami.
Cheers,

CG.

;)

G - HIGH
14th Jan 2002, 16:22
Does anyone know of any clubs near Toronto where I can do an IMC??? I know of one so far - Brampton. Are there any others out there??

Would appreciate any info if you have it...

Thanks
G - HIGH

goat737
14th Jan 2002, 18:32
Durham Flight Centre, Oshawa Ontario. 30 minutes east of Toronto.
PFC-2 Simulator ($75 CDN dual) C-310 ($240 CDN dual) C-172 (($88 CDN solo, $133 for dual advanced instruction)
All 'wet' rates.
A number of very experienced IMC instructors on staff.
Call 00-800-2497-2497 or email me directly if you would like more information.
Cheers.

jdp181
3rd Apr 2002, 13:38
Hi,

hope a couple of you can help me with this one...

if I am wanting to complete a modular course to a frozen APTL how much of it would I be able to complete in Canada...

at the very least I'd do my 150 hrs... but I'm hoping I could take my PPL there as well or wouldn't that be recognised here?

also is there time limits on how long after completing the ground exams you have to take CPL etc?

thanks,

Gin Slinger
3rd Apr 2002, 13:49
I believe the Canadians do issue PPLs of their own on the strength of an PPL issued in line with ICAO (i.e. JAR/CAA ones are acceptable) in the same manner as their southern neighbours.

You can do your ATPL via distance learning sat in a bunker in Afganistan if you so wish.

For a UK JAR CPL, your options are back here in Blighty, or there are a couple of flight schools in Florida with approval (just don't tell WWW!).

From taking the first ATPL written exam, you have 3 years to pass the IR, and 7 years from that date (or your last IR renewal) to 'unfreeze' your ATPL, the basic requirements for which is 1500hrs TT, plus 'X' hrs multi-crew and 100 hrs at night.

Someone please shout if I'm giving out duff gen - very bored today, reading about global weather systems!

rolling circle
3rd Apr 2002, 14:38
You can do a Canadian PPL and hour build but there are no schools in Canada currently approved for JAA training.

Mile_Hi
9th Apr 2002, 08:34
Some schools still advertise a conversion course to convert your Canadian CPL IR to the JAA equivalent. However, this conversion course is really the full approved JAA course with no reduction in hours or cost. Don't get caught out. Great place to fly but out of Canada and the US I would go for the US for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Good luck

calgary
27th Apr 2002, 16:49
Hi, I was just wondering what the main differences are between getting your Diploma vs. the degree. I will be starting at Mt Royal in september(if I get accepted). I was wondering if there are any other flight schools here that would be any options that will be as good, if not better.

I was also wondereing what the main differences are between a diploma vs a degree?

thanks

m777
4th Jun 2002, 12:35
I have been searching for flying school around Ottawa in Canada and would like some input from anyone who has had any experience with any of the flying schools in the region. I have visited a few and found a school which has Katanas. They were a rather interesting looking two-seater aircraft. If anyone knows anything about the Katanas please shed some light.
I also would like to know the procedure to convert a Canadian license to a British or European license. Would I have to do lots of tests ? Is it a complicated procedure ? If anyone can answer any of these questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a million.

redsnail
4th Jun 2002, 14:38
From a basic "foreign"ICAO CPL to a JAR ATPL is a long and expensive process.

Medical at Gatwick. You should get away with 189 pounds for that.
You are looking at having to do the 14 ATPL exams again after doing either 6 months groudschool or XX months Distance Learning.
There is discussion about concessions for ICAO IR's. As it stands at the moment you'll get maybe 5 hours off if you have some multi time. So, another 50 hours for a multi IR (JAR).
Then add in a MCC course...
It all adds up...

As far as I know, no one is doing JAR CPL theory hence the need for the ATPL theory.

Canada Goose
4th Jun 2002, 16:06
m777,

I've been at the Ottawa Flying Club for the last few years. The OFC and the Ottawa Aviation Servies (OAS) are the only clubs that I'm aware of at Ottawa MacDonald Cartier International (CYOW). I'm assuming you live in the area, in which case there are a couple of clubs at Carp Airport (CYRP) and Rockcliffe (CYRO). The OFC currently has a fleet of C-150's, C-172's, an Arrow and a Beech Duchess (twin). I don't believe the OAS (the club with the Katana's) has a twin ....probably same goes for the others mentioned. As you may be aware a multi IFR is pretty much essential for working as a commercial pilot, unless you're considering strictly VFR operations such as bush/float and possibly surveying.

Regarding the Katana's - I've heard may good things about them, however apparently their Rotax engines are not as robust and reliable as the Cessna Lycoming engine (though much quieter), and that was what the Chief AME at our club who told me, and he know's what he's talking about. The OFC does all the maintenance and servicing of all the OAS planes (Katana's) and one thing the OFC is noted for is good servicing and keeping the fleet in good shape. Apparently the Katana's offer a great view out of the cockpit and I think they cruise at higher speeds than the C-150. Personally, I'd be happy to have a chance to fly one. One thing I did hear is that they are pretty easy to land and so may lull a beginner student into a 'false sense' that landings are easy.

Redsnail seems to have correctly addressed your queries regarding conversions. Drop me an e-mail to my pilot prune account if you want to ask me any questions. You can even call me if you live in the Ottawa area ....

Good luck.
C.G.

;)

scroggs
4th Jun 2002, 20:11
Are you looking to get a PPL or an ATPL? If the former is the case, this topic should be in Private Flying. Please let me know and, if so, I shall move it.

pittss2b
22nd Sep 2002, 20:29
We get lots of questions about flying in Canada post 9/11. Here is some current info about student visas in Canada.

Who needs a student Visa in CANADA:

1) If you are coming to hour build or a flying holiday and have a Canadian Licence or an Canadian licence issued on the basis of your Foreign Licence, you can enter the country as a visitor or tourist for 6 months or less. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.html

2) If you need to convert your licence to a Canadian Licence, you can visit the closest Transport Canada office when you arrive. For a PPL this takes 10-20 minutes and cost around $50 Canadian ($30 US funds). More conversion info at http://www.harvsair.com/training/conversions/index.htm

3) Going to Canada in order to train for any pilot Licence.

If the course is LESS then 6 months NO visa is required and you can enter Canada as a visitor. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.html

If the course is OVER 6 months and the a student visa IS required. Allow 1-2 months to process a student visa. More information on this at http://www.harvsair.com/training/newstudent.html#foreign

Adam Penner
Harv's Air www.harvsair.com

SAS-A321
12th Nov 2002, 12:22
What is the most respected flight school in Canada?
I think in USA it is Flight Safety International,
In Denmark it's Luftfartsskolen......but what about Canada?

Canadiankid
12th Nov 2002, 16:04
Selkirk College in BC or Seneca College in Ontario. Sault College along with Mount Royal are good schools too.

In the US many forget the University of North Dakota. An excellent school to say the least. I would put my money there.

The military is still the best place to train, but all of these schools mentioned do a good job in giving equal training standards.

milad
19th Jan 2003, 09:56
Hi all!

Do you know any good flight schools in Canada. Seems like its even cheaper than the US....I dont know of any school that offers JAA cert. over there. Do you know of any? Thanks!

/Milad Yazdi

Mile_Hi
22nd Jan 2003, 08:51
Give me an e-mail I'm sure I've got a list of schools kicking about which should give you a start. Regards

Magmahout
29th Mar 2003, 08:22
would like some info on A300-600 sim trng in canada, schools and locations

spackrackman
26th Feb 2004, 17:57
Hello,

Due to the unfortuante death of both my parents I can now afford to learn to fly for a living. I have flown before (ATC) and cannot think of anything else that i would prefer to do! I have also always wanted to spend somtime in Canada so what I am thinking is to move to canada for a few months and start my Comercial training over there. Does anyone have any recomendations of schools or even whether it is a good idea? I am 29 is this too late to start? I am happy to invest my money and time but need advice on the best way to go. I have just orderd the book Clive Hughes "Guide to becoming a Professional Pilot" and I am looking forward to reading it.

I don`t want to fly airlines or large cargo aircraft, I would be happy just making a resionable living flying people/items locally, I might even concider buying my own (old) aircraft to build my hours up.

Do I sound mad? or are my ambitions possiable

Many thanks in advance

Jonnie (UK)

paco
26th Feb 2004, 18:14
If it's what you want to do, then why not? There's older pilots than you around :) Have a chat with Adam Penner at Harv's Air Centre in Stenbach, Manitoba (near Winnipeg). His email is [email protected] (www.harvsair.com).

Good Luck!

Phil

uniboy
26th Feb 2004, 20:47
Hi spackrackman,

Sorry to hear of your bad news...If you can afford to undertake a course of aviation training then it is quite possibly the most rewarding career available. That is true whether you want to fly the big stuff, become an instructor or just do it for fun.

I have heard from various people that there is a excellent school in Moncton, New Brunswick. I believe their website is www.mfc.nb.ca
and I think that they aree the only JAA approved school in Canada.

Best of luck

paco
27th Feb 2004, 03:43
Yeah, Moncton Flight Centre are good guys, and NB is nice, so are worth a look. Harvsair do JAA stuff too, though, last I heard

Phil

BillieBob
27th Feb 2004, 05:39
Harvsair do JAA stuff too, though, last I heard Not quite. Harv's do not now and never have done any JAA training. They are one of the ever growing number of North American flight schools who have entered into a "training partnership" with a UK-based, JAA-approved school in an effort to convince (mislead?) the less discerning customer that he or she is getting JAA approved training. What you will get from Harv's is a TC course leading to a Canadian licence. Subsequently, you may go to Triple A Flying (the training partner) in the UK to 'convert' that licence to JAA - you could do exactly the same thing at any combination of Canadian/US/SA/etc and UK/JAA schools that you choose, probably at less overall cost. This is no different to the so-called 'JAA compliant' licence touted by the likes of UKFT in California.

As 'uniboy' said, the only JAA approved school in Canada is in Moncton, run by an ex-CAA Chief Flight Examiner who, presumably, knows how it should be done.

paco
27th Feb 2004, 07:59
I stand connected :)

phil

FlyingForFun
27th Feb 2004, 16:13
in an effort to convince (mislead?) the less discerning customer It's been a while since I've looked at their website, but the last time I looked, it was an extremely honest website, detailing exactly what they offered, and exactly how they proposed that a JAA student could go about getting the required licenses and ratings. I was very impressed.

I have no connection with the school - I just found it very refreshing to see such an honest website. I'm not even an ex-student, so obviously take what I say with a pinch of salt and do your research first.

And yes, there are plenty of (other) schools out there whose marketing is an effort to mislead - I just happen to believe that this school isn't one of them.

FFF
-----------

cymuni
28th Feb 2004, 05:58
I am a low time CPL currently in Ontario. I did quite a bit of my training in BC. Flying in BC is absolutly incredible! If you want a Canadian experience in Flying than Vancouver Island is were you should be. Now that I'm back in Ont. I can safely say that flying out west made me a better pilot. Every day is a Met. lesson and mountain time will build confidence like nothing else. I would recommend Juan Air in Victoria. The school also runs a air taxi op. The owner/CFI is always interested in your training not just your money. Before you decide on anything do yourself a favour and check out the west cost.
Good luck eh!

Ikkle!
28th Feb 2004, 17:05
spackrackman,

If you are, in any way, considering the Triple A option at Humberside - please Private Message me. I would be more than happy to let you know my (and others if required) experiences of this school.

SpiralDive
28th Feb 2004, 19:55
If you don't need the JAA approved stuff, follow cyumni's advice and head out to BC, its the best place to visit and combine some great flying. Theres a school out at Boundary Bay airport, see www.proifr.com, with a good rep.

paco
29th Feb 2004, 19:40
Quite agree - proifr are top notch

Phil

vinil
8th Mar 2004, 02:13
Billie Bob,

I think you should check your facts as I completed my training with UKFT and got my JAA and FAA PPL.

The flight school is managed and run by a JAA examiner.

Vinil

gareth08
18th May 2004, 00:29
Hi there

Just wondering has anyone trained for a CPL - IR in canada that can recommend any good schools? Not necessarily ab - initio schools, just somewhere with a good reputation and decent job prospects afterwards.

Hoping to train out there with the aim of emmigrating to Canada to take up employment. What are the job prospects like for someone with CPL/IR and an instructors rating with hopes of flying commercially.

I currently hold a UK CAA PPL, i have read that this needs converted to a canadian PPL before CPL training can commence - is this true? The training appears to be reasonably priced at around an average of £20,000 equivilent??? Does that sound right?

I currently have an australian class one medical, but i think it is reasonably straight forward to convert over to the canadian class one, just have to shell out a bit more cash (like everything else in flying really!!).

Cheers

Gareth.

Farrell
18th May 2004, 09:45
www.harvsair.com

great school, great prices - will be training with them later this year.

gareth08
18th May 2004, 12:51
Looks promising! I like the accomodation at the airfield option, should save a pound or two:ok:

grafity
18th May 2004, 19:07
Another Fto that I was looking at was Moncton their website is www.mfc.nb.ca They've good facilities from what I can see from their website. The whole thing seems a lot more formal than harv's though, Harvs seems like a much more family type of business but then I haven't been to either so I don't know.
It might be worth your while looking at moncton though as well.

lava
19th May 2004, 09:14
hmm am also doing research to find a good school to go to in canada or NZ ... so far heard some pretty good stuff abt schools in Boundary Bay Airport, Delta located near to vancouver...

1) Pro IFR www.proifr.com

2) Pacific Flying club www.pacificflyingclub.com

gareth08
19th May 2004, 14:35
Just wondering,

Is the canadain training as good a quality as that of say JAA or FAA. It's just the training seems to be so cheap for a CPL + IR + ME + Instructors rating plus accomodation you're talking about in and around £15,000. That is a massive saving on the £50,000 - 60,000 it costs in the UK!!

minus273
19th May 2004, 17:26
Hey there,

I have done all 3 (Canadian, FAA, JAA), and still think that the Canadian one was the best one that I did. Flying is cheap in Canada mainly due to good exchange rate you get.

I would say Canadian ground work is in between the FAA and JAA and that the flying is as good as the FAA and so better than the JAA. (had to put that in to wind up some of the JAA FAA debators)

You may find that like a lot of the FTOs quote you the lowest price humanly possible to get the ratings.

If you add about 30% to the cost of training and living I have usually found that will give you a more accurate view of what it will cost. It will also save you the blushes of running out of money during your training.

I would personally recommend Moncton as I did my intial training there. You should also I believe be able to walk away with both Can & JAA Com/MIR.

Hope that helps or not as the case might be.

hibypassratio
19th May 2004, 19:48
Moncton is great. the cost to live there is much cheaper than big centres like Toronto or Vancouver. The staff whole approach at MFC is very professional. I spent 2 years there as a student and 2 as an instructor. They are also a partner of Boernemouth(?) now as a partner for CAA/JAA training.

grafity
19th May 2004, 21:23
What would be the story for a person coming from Europe doing a Canadian pilot program like Monctons.
Would their by obstacles with staying and working in Canada after these licences were attained?
Would anyone not recommend a route like this, considering I'm not necessarily looking for a right hand seat in a major airline straight off, I wouldn't mind doing some light aircraft hour building i.e. instructor or bush flying?

Northern Skies
20th May 2004, 00:22
www.pilotcareercentre.com lists most of the schools here. Most people take a commercial with multi-IFR and instructor rating to start out, but some like myself try to specialize in bush operations. You'll have to study the pros and cons of each and figure out what you like best.

There are a lot of college aviation programs as well, but most do not take international students.

Good Luck!
Dave

p.s. when we'll both be job hunting, it's war, buddy. :)

tallboyslim
3rd Aug 2004, 13:51
hello everybody!!!

this is my first message in pprune. would like to start of by saying that this is the best site for any wannabe like me to who wants to make a career in aviation. Thank all for all the info.

anways my story is....I am 22 , a college graduate and now dreaming of making it big in commercial aviation. After months of searching for schools and countries, i have decided to head to canada for professional program. The course will help me with 200 hrs of flying hours with all the basic liscences and ratings.

My plan is to atleast gain about 800-1000 hrs before i get back home. I inderstand in USA you can do a bit of flight instruction on a J-1 visa and gain those valubale flying hours. I would like to know if this can be done in CANADA too. I am lil short on onfo for Candadian visa.

I mean will be able to work as a instructor after i get a instructors rating in canada. Do i need a work permit of a sort?

This is gonna be challenging road ahead, so all our tips will be of great help!!!

Thank you everybody in advance
will look forward for your help

cheers and safe flying
arnold

tallboyslim
4th Aug 2004, 18:21
guys please any tips will do...i really need some

thank you in advance :ok:

Trislander
4th Aug 2004, 21:37
Hiya,

don't know much about it myself but try searching for 'Flight Training Canada' on PPRuNe search

alternatively the guys in the Canada Forum might be able to help you out.

Good luck:ok:

PPRuNeUser0172
5th Aug 2004, 10:38
Take a warm coat and dont talk to any moose's;)

tallboyslim
5th Aug 2004, 13:47
hello Trislander and Sanchez

Thank you Sanchez i will defently remember that ;)

By the way do mosse's bite? Never seen one in this part of the world where i am right now.

Thaks for the tip trislander, i think i will post my question in the Canada forum, i will have better response there.

Well infact i did get a small advice , Its easy and fast to have a immigration lawyer to get yourself a working permit. IT may be expensive though, but if you wanna work in canada for a while then i guess thats the best option.

Anways still looking forward for more tips

Thank you all in advance again
Cheers and Safe flying
arnold :ok:

Speedbird19
28th Oct 2004, 17:21
Hello,

If one has an FAA CPL/IR or even an FAA ATP, what conversion is needed licence wise, to fly in Canada commercially?
(obviously the right to work its required)

Has anyone encountered this before and know the score?

Regards,

Speedbird19

Flying Frenchman 2000
14th Dec 2004, 19:20
Hi everyone,

Would you have information or past experiences with flight training in Canada?

I'm looking at doing some commercial training out there but can't find much information on the web,

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

ftd83
15th Dec 2004, 09:04
Try

www.mfc.nb.ca/

Moncton Flight School near Halifax, it is connected to, i think, Pilot Training College in Bournemouth so have a look at them both.

Shed Rule:ok:

dann1405
15th Dec 2004, 15:49
A Canadian friend of mine has flown with and recommends: www.flighttraining.org

paco
16th Dec 2004, 06:30
Harv's Air Service is Steinbach Manitoba is good, too. www.harvsair.com

Talk to Adam

Phil

Flying Frenchman 2000
19th Dec 2004, 20:17
Thanks for the Info.

bertyboy60
15th Feb 2005, 19:47
Im a wannabe pilot and have been researching flight schools all over the world and have found a school I recently visited in Canada as my top choice. Its very professional and well run and its very well priced....

I need advice though into what the future prospects are for a UK pilot being trained to ATPL level in Canada and then applying for the airlines in the UK/Canada to start a career?

The school is called Pro and located at Boundary Bay, close to Vancouver, anyone shed any light on it.....???

Thanks all. Barney

flyndad
15th Feb 2005, 23:21
PM me if you want details about certain schools in Canada.

cadet380
28th Jun 2005, 09:52
hi all !!

I'm searching for good flight schools in US or Canada, schools that are economic and also enjoy a good reputation.

I've heard that european based schools in US are good....however I don know exactly...

Please help me if anyone personally know a good school.

redards

paco
28th Jun 2005, 18:15
If you want a JAA-compatible one, try Moncton Flight Centre in New Brunswick. However, I have personal experience of Harvsair in Steinbach, Manitoba (near Winnipeg), and I believe they have a link with a JAA school in UK. Talk to Adam Penner at www.harvsair.com. Good people and good weather!

Phil

cadet380
28th Jun 2005, 18:40
ya I checked out both Mancton flight college and Harv's Air. i've written to them.

do you know some schools in states...I'm not basically upto a JAA compatible course...as I'm an Indian and i'll have to ultimately convert it to indian CPL.

I just want 200 hrs. with ME and IR.

regards

What to do?
28th Jun 2005, 21:13
Harvs air?

I went there. The people were for the most part boring. The town is dry, you're not allowed to "make noise" after 10 or drink any beer in the flat. Come on, we're grown-ups (for the most part!). Also the place is totally flat and when I was there the weather was pants.

Did I mention the mud covered grass runway?

I've also trained at Ormond beach, which despite the above post, I really enjoyed.

Later

cadet380
29th Jun 2005, 12:36
hi

what about ASA (American School of Aiation), California...how is it ? does anyone know...

they are giving a very low training cost and also the housing is very cheap.

but ant say if they give any hidden costs afterwards...??

regards

Captain.sullivan
15th Mar 2006, 01:58
Hello

I am Canadian and i cant wait to head across the pond for my career. There are lots of risk's involved, 1 being finance. Tons of challenges, large possibility of now work, it goes on and on. If you want to work in the Eu you can train in Canada, but you would then have to convert your license to JAA standards. Now i am no expert but if there were scheme's that took you and paid your way through this ASS-KICKING BATTLE of aviation to a top spot, i wouldnt be on here for hours researching options. Sorry buddy but i think the times are changing,compared to what use to be. Canada is a great country but you wont fly the airlines for at least 6-7 years and unless you want to flight instruct you will have to bush fly for that first initial job, and usually you will start on the dock loading/unloading ect ect... All i know is that i am not going to spend all this money to load propane tanks onto an airplane for 1-2 years as they state. I would rather pay the big bucks, you may risk allot more but then again its the location,lifestyle,life your after 2.. Remember that

Best of luck

flyer_spotter
3rd Apr 2006, 08:40
Hello guys, my backup plan for the cadet pilot programme is to flight trained in the US or Canada, I am wondering which is the best and most recommanded flying university/college in the US and Canada by major airlines (such as Air Canada).

I've checked the http://www.pilotcareercenter.com/ but there're many many and many flying schools in the US and Canada...:rolleyes:
Is American School of Aviation a good one?

Please give me some advices...:O

Thanks
flyer_spotter

Holliwood
3rd Apr 2006, 19:47
i've been in Florida lately and i visited sunstate aviation, PEA, Deltacademy and RAA!

Now i'm going to choose PEA from what i've seen..they ffer an J1 visa (so u can stay there 2 years) and u can work as a PAID flight instructor!

RAA is another good choice but unluckyly only M1visa so 9 months there!
It's a pity cause it looks reeeeally professional..a lot of simulators but for me it's a great pity for the visa question...

Fabio

flyer_spotter
4th Apr 2006, 09:51
Thanks for your information Holliwood!

and, which one is the best flying school in Canada?

PPRuNe Towers
4th Apr 2006, 11:10
In the land of the blind..........:eek: :eek:

Spend a few weeks working through the thousands of posts on this subject. It will be useful but that's probably not what you want.

AIRJAE
15th Apr 2006, 06:03
Thinking about doing A320 TR with this company I got info from them costing
$16,800 USD. plus they say they have agencies in asia to help their graduate.
Does anyone have done this program or heard anything? Thanks for your
precious info.

LostAndFound
17th Apr 2006, 14:46
There is so much concentration in this forum on flight schools in US and South Africa because flying seems to be cheaper in those places and i wonder why nobody cares about canada where it seems to be cheaper. Being somebody that is planning to go there for my licenses, i am curious to know why nobody talks about canada?

scroggs
17th Apr 2006, 14:57
Probably a waste of time. After all, looking at these search results (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=215114), no-one ever considers Canada.

:hmm:

Scroggs

UB6IB9
17th Apr 2006, 15:13
well you euro mates should consider it. especially with the GBP being about 1 GBP: 2.3 CAD you boys could run away with paying 50 GBP per hour on a new 172. and most of all we have schools in winnipeg ( http://www.perimeter.ca ) and in vancouver ( http://www.proifr.com ) where you actually train in known ice for your ifr. their twins are done up with "boots" and most students who do their ifr usually walk away with about 5-15 hrs of actual IMC. plus there's plenty of beer, plenty of women and depending on which part of the country your in...plenty to keep you occupied when you're not studying.

Cheers

Sprawler
17th Apr 2006, 22:41
Have a look at this post, I posted last year about my decision to hour build in Canada. Its a fantastic country to fly in and I'd certainly recommend it :ok:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172055

paco
18th Apr 2006, 01:09
Harv's Air in Steinbach manitoba have some sort of JAA association and are highly recommended, Moncton flight school in new Brunwick are JAA approved and Pro IFR really know their stuff, although I'm not sure about their JAA status.
You will also find a remarkable amount of consistency amongst Transport Canada examiners.

So why not Canada?

Phil

mckrll
18th Apr 2006, 06:29
Having trained in Toronto (CYTZ) over two summers, I can thoroughly recommend Canada as a venue.

One of the advantages is the exchange rate. Another is the plethora of different a/d types available for training.

Andrew

FFP
18th Apr 2006, 07:17
well you euro mates should consider it. especially with the GBP being about 1 GBP: 2.3 CAD

Joking aren't you ? More like 1 GBP : 2 CAD at the moment (Having a Cad mortgage and living in the UK I take a vested interest in these things !!)

UB6IB9
18th Apr 2006, 07:44
ooops you could be right. all depends on which bank does your conversion. my bank was trading at 2.26 GBP (i rounded up) not too long ago. each bank sets their own conversion commission so don't go by what you see in the paper.

cheers

bfato
18th Apr 2006, 08:52
That's 2.26 if you're buying Sterling probably. It's 2.02 spot, so maybe 1.8-1.9 if you buy Canadian on the high street.

Anyone know the theory requirement for the Canadian CPL/IR? Presumably closer to FAA than JAA?

edit: Don't answer, it was a rhetorical question. I'm off to do some searching...

paco
18th Apr 2006, 13:25
It's 2 bucks to the pound at the moment :(

Give me a PM if you want to know anything about the theory, but the syllabus is on the Transport Canada website (www.tc.gc.ca).

Phil

FFP
18th Apr 2006, 16:22
It's been about 2 bucks since Aug. Took a dive after July 7th and the London Bombings, plus the Canadian dollar hit a 14 year high against the pound.

Just after I bought my house in Ontario !!!

onedaymaybe?
18th Apr 2006, 16:43
Am presently working over here and think it is a great deal.... The flying is great at the moment and the weather has gone from the winter snow to great sunshine. The flying is affordable and without the normal hidden extras.

Went and had a fly at Harv's Air at St Andrews as I was working there over the winter...A great bunch of guys and lots of aircraft to fly.

Winnipeg is great in the summer, and there is plenty of things to do, have been told. Although in the winter it can be bleak and just a bit too cold...-30to -50..

Yes they are affiliated with a UK school. and are working to do more with them.

The staff at Harv's are great guys and always get back to you if you phone them..

As far as hour building goes, there are planty of places to get some great deal..

Am presently in Calgary, and see there is a good light aircraft environment here too, but not had chance to look into it,

I would definitly recommend Canada as a place to fly...

CharlieNicholas
9th Jun 2006, 12:01
Hello,

Has anybody ever heard of/trained at Algonquin Flight School in North Bay, Canada.

Im starting my CPL course there in August and would welcome any information.

Cheers

C130Dreamer
10th Jun 2006, 03:39
I'm a Brit living in Canada and I'd highly recommend coming to here to gain an ICAO licence or to just hour build. The training's great and the opportunity to fly long and interesting cross country legs are excellent.

If anybody wants to know of a good outfit in Southern Alberta that's offering 172s solo for Cnd$107/hr (£50) wet, then PM me and I'll give you more details.

PS. They also have a Baron B55 for Cnd$250/hr (£125!). :}

KrazyKraut
11th Jun 2006, 16:04
All,

As far as I am aware, Moncton Flight College is the only JAA-approved school in Canada.

Other schools may or may not advertise "JAA training" in Canada (see, for instance, http://www.harvsair.com/site/services/jaa-training.html), but this training is not conducted as part of an approved JAA course. Significant portions of the training, as well as the skill test, must therefore take place in the UK.

To my knowledge, only MFC can conduct fully approved training and JAA skill tests in Canada.

KK.

A330ismylittlebaby
17th Jun 2006, 18:43
I have the jaa ppl at £5500 in florida, as the flight exams are sky high with the caa, is that the same case with canada in terms of licence cost, skill test cost etc.

do you think i wouold save £1000 going to canada than to florida.

thanks people

KrazyKraut
17th Jun 2006, 19:39
A330, no didn't specify which licence/rating you're interested in, but JAA training in Canada is not cheaper than Florida.

Good luck,

KK

A330ismylittlebaby
17th Jun 2006, 20:17
A330, no didn't specify which licence/rating you're interested in, but JAA training in Canada is not cheaper than Florida.

Good luck,

KK
Sorry i rushed the posting, i mean is it cheaper to get the canadian ppl, it total than it is to get the jaa.
florida comes in a £5500 i mean i know the package in canada is cheaper but will i be adding exactly the same amount on top of the package in terms of skills test licence issue and medicals.

KrazyKraut
17th Jun 2006, 20:35
A330, not sure where you get your prices from, but neither a JAA PPL nor a FAA PPL will cost £5500 in Florida - provided you finish closely within syllabus hours (which may or may not be the case).

Have a look for prices here: www.flyoft.com, www.flyeft.com, www.flyoba.com, - that's three Floridian JAA FTOs that charge less than what you've quoted.

However, no matter where you go to get a JAA licence, there's CAA and examiner fees to pay. You also need a medical. These costs don't vary greatly depending on where you train - even in Canada.

KK

A330ismylittlebaby
17th Jun 2006, 20:40
A330, not sure where you get your prices from, but neither a JAA PPL nor a FAA PPL will cost £5500 in Florida - provided you finish closely within syllabus hours (which may or may not be the case).

Have a look for prices here: www.flyoft.com (http://www.flyoft.com), www.flyeft.com (http://www.flyeft.com), www.flyoba.com (http://www.flyoba.com), - that's three Floridian JAA FTOs that charge less than what you've quoted.

However, no matter where you go to get a JAA licence, there's CAA and examiner fees to pay. You also need a medical. These costs don't vary greatly depending on where you train - even in Canada.

KK
I mean like accom flights food visa of £500 etc:p but i was hoping the canadian would be £1000 cheaper.

I hope to be an airline pilot/flying instructor but i think canada is easier as i can only fly over for 2 weeks so i would need to go twice and with america and visas, that would be a bit messy like my writing:p

Yes eft was the place that i had analysed from cali to florida i really like the sound of eft.

colonial pilot
20th Jun 2006, 16:07
You could save a good amount if you went to a place like south eastern Alberta the place I know of will do the PPL for about GBP 3600 (%CDN$7500). Their 172 rents out wet for CDN$107.00 GST(VAT) included.

Accommodations are fairly cheap as well. I rented a 1100 square foot 2 bedroom apartment for about CDN$550.00. The local college will also let people stay in the student residence if they have space.

The weather is excellent there is as well the city I'am talking about is officially Canada's sunniest City with over 300 VFR days per year.

The really attractive thing about Training in Canada is that if your course is six months or less you do not require a visa. There is no background check either.

KrazyKraut
20th Jun 2006, 17:10
Colonial - is that a JAA PPL or a Canadian one ???

As far as I know - though I may be wrong-, Moncton Flight College (www.mfc.nb.ca) is the only school that holds approval to conduct proper JAA training courses in Canada.

KK

colonial pilot
21st Jun 2006, 06:28
You are right Moncton flight college is the only JAA school in canada right now. I assumed if he was considering coming to Canada he was considering Transport Canada Icao Licence with a Jar conversion once back in the UK

pointedinfinity
22nd Jun 2006, 20:26
KK is clearly associated in some way with this school. You would be well advised to log in and do a search on "Moncton". Two words apply. Watch out.

air_fix
12th Jul 2006, 13:12
Hi,

Im planning to get a CPL and multi engine rating from Canada. But, Im having a hard time choosing between these two schools - Harv's Air and ProIFR.
Can anyone tell me which one would be better.

paco
12th Jul 2006, 14:56
Harvsair - you get at least 256 clear days a year in Winnipeg, and the airspace is clearer. ProIFR are good, but the airspace around Vancouver is crowded worse than Biggin Hill. It also rains nearly as bad as Seattle, so you won't get the continuity.

Accommodation would be cheaper, too and Harvsair also has JAA link, with some club in UK.

Phil

air_fix
12th Jul 2006, 15:42
Thanks for the info Phil. Harv's air it is.

Zyox
12th Jul 2006, 16:07
Jesus, they're poppin up everywhere!

Starting there in August too. Had my doubts but talked to a few people, got it looked into, found out about JAA conversion course in Cork (from Charlie no less) and am a lot happier about it now :)

Hi Charlie,
I am starting my CPL in Algonquin Flight Center in August also! I am doing it under Pilot Recruitment Ireland.

C130Dreamer
12th Jul 2006, 21:39
Hi folks,

I'm a Brit living in Canada for a while. Whilst here, I decided to convert my JAR CPL/IR to the Canadian equivalent. I did my training at a place called Bar XH. They’re in a small city called Medicine Hat which is about 250km SE of Calgary.

They were one of the best priced schools I could find in Alberta, and they won't try and stich you up with pre-flight and post-flight briefing fees! Alberta is a great province, and at the moment they enjoy only 6% tax!
Med Hat airport and the surrounding airspace is nice and quiet, and the training area is only 10nm SW of the airfield. Med Hat has two runways, an NDB and VOR approach, whilst Lethbridge, which is about 30 mins flight time, has the ILS. Med Hat is as cheap as chips to live in too!

Bar XH also operate King Air, Jetstream and Navajo aircraft on medivac and charter flights. The CFI's a current King Air driver, and most of the instructors eventually end up on the fleet. They have an excellent onsite maintenance dept, so if an aircraft goes down, it'll be fixed ASAP (parts permitting!).

I highly recommend them, and you can contact the CFI here. [email protected] :ok:

colonial pilot
13th Jul 2006, 02:04
I agree with c130 dreamer. I did my CPL, MEIR in Med Hat at Bar XH and had no problems. Good planes for a great price, Be55 Baron CDN$265.00 and most of the instructors drive the king air or Navajo. the Goods and service tax is only 6% and no provincial tax (other provinces have an additional 7 to 11% tax in as well.
The weather in Med Hat is great with 320 sunshine days per year. There are certainly more VFR days but enviro Canada uses sunshine days. Don't pass over this place just because it isnt in a big city!

paco
13th Jul 2006, 12:16
Wow! - are Bar XH still there? I did a twin ride there way back in '76, when I flew the Beaver at Suffield just up the road!

Phil

colonial pilot
13th Jul 2006, 17:28
Yup they are still there, They have Two 172, an arrow, a barron, two navajo, 6 BE200, a BE300 and 4 four jetstreams. Hopping little place. 37 years old as of this year. Great place to train. Les is still around too.

A330ismylittlebaby
13th Jul 2006, 18:19
You could save a good amount if you went to a place like south eastern Alberta the place I know of will do the PPL for about GBP 3600 (%CDN$7500). Their 172 rents out wet for CDN$107.00 GST(VAT) included.

Accommodations are fairly cheap as well. I rented a 1100 square foot 2 bedroom apartment for about CDN$550.00. The local college will also let people stay in the student residence if they have space.

The weather is excellent there is as well the city I'am talking about is officially Canada's sunniest City with over 300 VFR days per year.

The really attractive thing about Training in Canada is that if your course is six months or less you do not require a visa. There is no background check either.
Thanks colonial for the help and everyone else aswell, i am guessing i should wait for next year's summer instead of going in winter time:)
On the bar xh school, do i have to attend the college on the links to do the course as i can't click on the ppl link but only the college link.

colonial pilot
13th Jul 2006, 20:21
You dont really need to wait untill summer since they have great clear weather during the winter. What bad weather they do have blows through in a couple of hours and then it is clear.
The temperatures are cold but it didn't stop my training.
Their website isn't the best but you can get their CFI at [email protected]

A330ismylittlebaby
13th Jul 2006, 21:03
You dont really need to wait untill summer since they have great clear weather during the winter. What bad weather they do have blows through in a couple of hours and then it is clear.
The temperatures are cold but it didn't stop my training.
Their website isn't the best but you can get their CFI at [email protected]
That's good because i was hoping to do it around november/december.:)

Miss Aviator
14th Jul 2006, 12:28
i did all my flight training in Canada except for my JAA conversion which was elsewhere.

As far as being in a big city, if you want airline that's where you want to train !! The busier the better :E i first flew in Oshawa, Ontario and that was sort of quiet. You learn more when there's busy airspace, it seems scary but if you get used to it with an instructor beside you then you will be steps ahead when you go solo.
imagine only having flown in uncontrolled airspace and then renting an aircraft solo in a different city you want to explore -- the workload alone will make the trip a nightmare instead of an enjoyable challenge.
i later went to proifr in Vancouver and that was the best ! if i could i would land at Vancouver intl every time but the landing fee was like $32 each time :} proifr is at Boundary Bay which borders Washington state so you can do frequent hops to the States to get used to customs and procedures too.

As far as i know the UK are very strict when it comes to accepting other countries JAA conversions so it's best to do your research and ask them directly. The school in Moncton is definitely accepted in the UK but the route i took would most likely not be accepted in the UK :8 There's more than one way to skin a cat if you are willing to work outside the UK.

Cheers

secret_pilot
19th Jul 2006, 14:37
As far as being in a big city, if you want airline that's where you want to train !! :ugh: Rubbish!

You learn more when there's busy airspace. := Prove it?

imagine only having flown in uncontrolled airspace and then renting an aircraft solo in a different city you want to explore. :eek: ?????

i later went to proifr in Vancouver and that was the best ! if i could i would land at Vancouver intl every time but the landing fee was like $32 each time. :zzz: Boring!

Miss Aggravator,

I bow to your superior knowledge - not!

Lol,

SP xxxxxx :E

UB6IB9
19th Jul 2006, 14:53
dude...not for anything, but when your trying to learn the basics of flying (ie. pre solo) you want as little distraction as possible. you have enough to worry about without having to also concentrate on what the controller wants you to do.

secret_pilot
19th Jul 2006, 16:08
dude...not for anything, but when your trying to learn the basics of flying (ie. pre solo) you want as little distraction as possible. you have enough to worry about without having to also concentrate on what the controller wants you to do.

Dude!? Is that directed at me or Miss Aggravator? Only, I totally agree with you buddy.

SP

UB6IB9
19th Jul 2006, 18:06
i'm sorry secret pilot......i have a bad habit of calling everyone dude. i was directing my comments towards miss aviator.

cheers mate

sunny skies

Miss Aviator
19th Jul 2006, 18:14
First off, SP, I think you are rather immature as to call me names... my nick is Miss Aviator. I was stating an opinion so I don't need to prove anything. One of the many opinions that the original poster will sift through and try to decide where to train next.
(SP: If you chose to respond to me any further with disdain then you won't hear anymore from me because I will not stoop so low)
This thread began with:
"...currently hold a ppl from 43 airschool south africa..."
Therefore, this person is past the solo stage and needs to hone the skills learned. During or after the CPL they can begin IFR and that's when busy airspace (read as various approaches available) gives way to more interaction with atc -- instead of ducking under busy airspace while vfr so you don't have to talk with controllers.
Safe landings to all.

secret_pilot
20th Jul 2006, 19:28
Miss Aviator,

Yeah OK, changing your nick name was a bit silly I suppose, maybe a more mature response would have been:

How can you justify saying ‘As far as being in a big city, if you want airline that's where you want to train’? Did you get employed with an airline solely on the basis of this?

What proof have you that training new IFR students in busy airspace is better that training them initially on approaches in quiet uncontrolled airspace, and then introducing them to controlled airspace as they become more proficient? Are you an instructor?

Your comment about going to an unfamiliar airport and hiring an aircraft to fly IFR was interesting. I don’t know of any aircraft hirer who would allow an individual to just turn up and fly into the sunset without a check ride first, do you?

After hearing great things about Pro IFR, I initially decided to go to BB to convert my JAR IR to the Canadian equivalent. I left after one day - enough said!

Happy landings!

SP

Miss Aviator
21st Jul 2006, 18:38
SP,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at PRO. Just like you experienced something I experienced only good things when learning approaches in that airspace. To each his own. Not all flight instructors are equal and maybe you came across a so-so one. In any case, JM, the owner, is known even on the East coast of Canada for his level of professionalism, various Transport Canada personel get seminars and training from him as well -- that has to mean something.

As far as renting an aircraft, I was of course implying that you would have a check-ride first (everyone knows you can't just rent without it). That's only a check-ride for the immediate area then you are off on your own for a small cross-country to later return to the busy airspace by yourself and deal with atc in most likely a different situation than what you would have experienced with the instructor.

Finally, no, I am not an instructor and yes, my flying experience is what ultimately got me my airline career... isn't that how it always goes ? In fact, if I was only flying in rural locations they would have been hesitant I'm sure as the major factor was working for an air taxi operation in big cities. That was my experience, I say again, my opinion and experience...

No hard feelings...
Cheers :ok:

colonial pilot
22nd Jul 2006, 22:27
I don't think you need to do you training in A big center to get to the airlines. The school I trained at (Bar XH) has former students at every major carrier in Canada. One of my mates on my CPL is at Cathay. It's more about your collective experience and attitude that gets you the job. Most companies now use a "hire attitude, train for skill" policy. This has more to do with having good employee morale than anything. That said time in the log is still a big factor.

As for dismissing a small center. I think most people would just assume that small centers don't have the facilities that larger ones have. This is not necessarily true.

Medicine Hat where I did my training has 4 approaches. 1 VOR, 1 NDB, and 2 RNAV approaches.
Within 20 minutes at lethbridge they have 5 approaches. 1 ILS, 1 LOCBC, 1 VOR 1NDB and an 1 RNAV.
Then within 50 minutes at Calgary (4 Busiest in Canada as of 2002 probably higher now) There are 3 ILS and a VOR approach.
There are also two other uncontrolled airports with approaches within 1 hour of Medicine Hat.
Yes you have to fly some cross country to get to the other airports but what is wrong with learning how to use the system and plan IFR cross countries. I know that schools with all the necessary approaches on the field still have to do the required XC work but you normally only get the minimum. Also those schools tend to train exactly the skills test you will take. I know this because when I instructed at a busy field all we were allowed to do by ATC was the skills test profile.
What I really want to get across is do your research. Had I not done my due diligence I would not have trained at Medicine Hat. You need to research the school. Find out what equipment they have and find out what the experience level of their instructors is. When I went to Bar XH all the instructors flew in the Medevac and Charter operations as well as instructed. So when my instructor showed or explained some thing about IFR I believed him since they had the experience of being out in the soup the day before.
The funny thing about Canada is that a smaller cities tend to hide enormous resources. Who would believe that a city like Medicine Hat (64k) is Home office to a 20 aircraft operator with a training school as well.

Yes I did train at BXH, and training at BXH has not hurt my career. Colonial

UB6IB9
22nd Jul 2006, 23:24
colonial pilot....you couldn't have said it better. your logbook might get you through the door...but a good attitude will keep you in the room.

cheers

paco
27th Jul 2006, 01:43
Just don't give the bears any sandwiches :)

Seriously, I can only endorse what dewarg says. Some of the places you land at in the North are just stunning and are really worth a navex.

Standardisation amongst examiners is quite noticeable.

Phil

colonial pilot
30th Jul 2006, 02:05
Yes dewarg is correct in saying that the regulator is very vigilant.
All instructors are monitored by Transport Canada based on their students flight test results. If an instructor's pass rate drops below 80% Transport investigates and if nessecary takes corrective action. All new instructors must be monitored by a senior instructor. sort of an apprenticeship program.
Transport is making a huge effort to standardize training and testing to eliminate regional differences.
The Air Transport Association of Canada is also making a effort through their members to go beyond the minimum standards set by Transport Canada and provide exceptional training.
As for Navexs not only is the scenery great but so are the people, I have had people lend me their car to drive into town to get some food. Well worth looking into Canada as a place to train or hour build.

finals40
15th Aug 2006, 09:57
Hi Guys I am planing to head out to this school in January. Thye seem very friendly and inform me the weather although cold will offer good VFR flying. Just wondering if any of you have any experience from this school?

umzy
9th Nov 2006, 19:55
Hey ya all Mates,

Juss wondering to know best school(s) or college(s) in Canada for CPL OR First Officer Program? You guys must have some Know-How about that!

Yeah, I have searched myself too... and found only 2 good (as far as I think).. here they are,

http://www.gft.ca/ GFT AeroSpace Technalogies
http://www.harvsair.com/ Harv's Air

Put your list too :) ... the more we know WHICH is the BEST.. the more AVG of Once School we will get :ok:

Cheers...
Umzy

paco
10th Nov 2006, 00:52
Dunno about comparisons, but harvsair are highly recommended.
Phil

KrazyKraut
10th Nov 2006, 13:59
As far as I know, Moncton Flight College in New Brunswick is the only FTO which currently offers JAA approved training courses in Canada.... that may or may not matter, depending on what type of licence (Canadian or JAA/UK) you're interested in.

Yeah,

KK

young1
10th Nov 2006, 15:44
After considerable deliberation as to where to do my CPL MEP, I opted for the Cabair "Pathfinder" route to the CPL. They offer the option of taking the course in either UK, US (2 venues) or at the Moncton Flight College in Canada. I opted for the latter and what a good decision that was.

Instruction at Moncton is better than I have received anywhere and Cabair can be proud of their association with them. Achieving the standard required to pass the CPL skills test is simply not enough....after training has finished and the skills test is complete you will realise that you are at at a standard which is far higher then the required CPL minimum . The result being that you leave a better and more confident pilot. The same can be said for the PPL training.

As regards costs, they are considerably lower than UK and on a par with US. It's also a really great location and the locals are genuinely extremely friendly and welcome students from MFC. The local lobsters are world-class at only £3.50 lb!!

I did not have the required number of hours before I started my CPL, so I spent a week in the wilderness of Prince Edward Island (2 hours drive from Moncton)to get a float-plane ratingat Tartan Air. What fun! Highly recommended at under £80 hour dual, cheap too. Under £800 including accommodation and food.

Nothing beats first hand experience, and in my opinion Moncton Flight College is definitely the place to train ( confirmed by many of the world's major airlines who send their ab-initio students). I'm happy to correspond with anyone who wants more information.

Just started the I / R with Aerodynamics in Malaga and many of the IFR procedures I am already familiar with thanks to my time at MFC. I hope that my time in Malaga works out as well!! :ok:

pointedinfinity
12th Nov 2006, 20:35
That’s a bit dandy. Ain’t it?
A post from Krazy, quite probably a Moncton associate, to be followed only hours later by a positively glowing report by a new poster and, just as it happens, a happy student!
Log in and do a search on Moncton if you‘re being swayed by the marketing. Watch out and Beware.

young1
12th Nov 2006, 22:09
pointedinfinity, why so cynical? Is it so hard to believe that somebody has used prune to post something positive about an F.T.O. as appose to your normal post from a less then happy pruner?
The reason I posted was because somebody wanted to know about training in Canada, correct me if I'm wrong but is this site not here for one pilot to pass on experiences and knowledge to the next? I HAVE just got back from Moncton where I completed my CPL Multi license and I felt that I received excellent training. When I noticed this thread on the site I felt obliged to share my experience with another would be pilot so he/she could benefit as I have.
For those of you who are of the same opinion as pointedinfinity I would be more then happy to correspond via my personal email [email protected] in order to verify my credentials.

apoball
13th Nov 2006, 13:02
For those interested in training in Canada:

I left Moncton in August this year, and I'll be happy to pass on information to anyone interested in the school. Whilst at Moncton Flight College I completed 70 hours of time-building and the JAA Multi CPL. In short, these were my experiences:

Safety: the aircraft are maintained to an excellent standard, and the engineers are approachable and happy to talk to the students about any problems.

Instruction: I had two instructors for the CPL course, both of whom were first-rate; I found the transition to the IR course fairly straightforward.

Facilities: The college facilities are brand new, and have recently received a huge investment to further extend the buildings. There is accommodation on-site, but I found a much cheaper place only 2 mins walk from the school. I was paying $300per month, but it's relatively easy to find places as cheap as $200per month.

The Airfield: 2 Runways, Full ATC who are very understanding to inexperienced pilots, 727s 737s 757s A319s and comprehensive radar cover over the training areas.

Weather: In Autumn and Spring there will be some times when you can't fly for a couple of days at a time, but it will certainly teach you to deal with the weather conditions. In Winter the school is very well set up to manage the cold, and the conditions are often excellent for VFR flying.

The operations, accounts, and management of the school are very well run and are always helpful to the students.

Personally, I would recommend Moncton without hesitation, I am delighted that I chose to train with them. PM me if you want any more info.

Cheers,

APO

Oh yes, Social: Fantastic for the ornithologists amongst you. :)

ashish3287
13th Nov 2006, 15:37
i have trained in canada .the only problem in canada is weather now its all crap u hardly get 1 day a week for flying but its good exp.about cost there are so many hidden cost like 6% gst,8% cst taxes.around 55$ an hour for instructor briefing .That is all i know i hope it will help u.i dont know about convertion

Flying Frenchman 2000
12th Dec 2006, 23:19
Hi all,

I'm looking for a Jaa approved school for my CPL and ME rating and some hour building, I've narrowed it down to EFT in Florida and Moncton Flight College in Canada, I wasn't that impressed with my ppl experience of Florida and I'm thinking of heading north to New Brunswick.
I've read good things about Moncton's standards of teaching,

I'm on a budget but since i'm planning a career as a Commercial Pilot I would rather spend the extra cash and get the best start.

Any feedback on recent experiences with both schools would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time. ;)

Stephane.

BigAl's
13th Dec 2006, 06:59
Hi FF,

have a look here (http://http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7849&highlight=moncton). Some general bits and bobs ref training in Canadia. Enjoy!

:)

Flying surfer
13th Dec 2006, 09:50
stephane,

When do you plan to do the hour building and if so how many?

Flying Frenchman 2000
13th Dec 2006, 20:18
stephane,
When do you plan to do the hour building and if so how many?
Hi Flying Surfer,
I was planning on going to Canada in mid january and do around 70 hours before the start of my CPL.
PS:Many thanks to Big Al for the link.:ok:
Stephane

markyp
15th Dec 2006, 16:47
Hi FF
I have trained in both Florida and Canada, and the only comparison that you can make is in the price. The main advantages I found in Canada are:-
1. No Visa requirements if you are training for less than 6 months
2. Full ATC radar service as a matter of course
3. Uncluttered airspace
I trained at Moncton and quite frankly you will not find any JAA school in Florida like it, and probably won't find one in Europe either. It is a not-for-profit organisation meaning that any profit does not go to shareholders, it is reinvested into the school in terms of new aircraft, maintenance and resources. MFC is an integrated training provider in Canada and the JAA side piggy-backs on those resources. The instruction is professional and high quality, and they deliver on budget!
If I had the choice it would be Canada ANY DAY.
M

Flying Frenchman 2000
15th Dec 2006, 22:55
Hi M,

Thanks a lot for your reply,

I've made my decision and Canada ticks all the right boxes, including true quality instructing on a reasonable budget.

I'll be heading to New Brunswick for the new year.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress, just hope I can cope with the blueberry beer I've heard so much about.:hmm:

WMB
16th Dec 2006, 18:39
Flying Frenchman 2000,
Be warned, thats how it all starts, a few Blueberry Beers at the Pump House, then round to Sasha's for a couple of cocktails (shaken not stirred!). Across the road to O2, meet a young Canadian lady, next thing you know your an instructor at Moncton. :=
Think you have made the right choice, have experienced both Florida and Moncton, and would still choose Moncton all the time, enjoy your time there.:ok:

Gez
16th Dec 2006, 19:18
Flying Frenchman,

Just wanted to say congratulations on a wise choice! I'm currently finishing up my PPL at MFC, it's a real top notch school with a lot of dedicated instructors. I looked at a few schools in Florida before I decided to go to MFC. And I must say that I'm really happy that I chose MFC.

They have around 12 new Diamond 20s and a few older but well maintained C172s. The mechanics are really friendly and they really know their stuff, so it's worth visiting maintenance hangar every now and then to chat with them.

They have around four really experienced JAA Instructors (I think they're about to hire a few more after christmas). You're gonna have to work pretty hard because the instructors are not easy to please! They don't cut any corners. And it really pays off in the end. The JAA CFI is a great guy and he is really involved in the training of all the students.

All in all, Moncton is a great place to live in and when you're done you can pride yourself in that you've been trained to a really high standard and made a lot of good friends.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you in Moncton,

Gez

nibi786
4th Jan 2007, 22:46
WOW!
what a place to do your training! i have walked out confident that i am a safe, and somewhat advanced aviator thanks to the training provided to me at MFC - nothing but good words for this place - i done my JAA PPL in the summer. I am still in touch with lots of friends i made out there and the CFI is excellent like all the rest!!! i am returning in 07 for commercial MEP training and to get my hours up and to do my night rating and IMC....and i am taking some friends with me for them to do the same - you can't go wrong here folks, with MFC the only way is UP!! high expectations make it a good working atmosphere! questions? contact me:)

nibi

clockworkt
16th Aug 2007, 01:55
This is a first impression of monton flight collage in canada . Im only here a week and have to say impressed by what i've seen so far. :ok:friendly ,competent and deadicated instructors. and no time builders instructors this is a big plus and the the school is impressive and professionly run. You will see this when u walk in the door for the first time.Its worth going to see how a flight school should be run. What you see on their web sight is what u get plus more which is not there.

Zyox
16th Aug 2007, 08:56
I really hope you're not a Moncton plant because with spelling like that you've completely turned me off the place! :P

The African Dude
16th Aug 2007, 11:13
His spelling doesn't say anything about his flying ability, Zyox.
Please don't contribute to the thread if you only have comments like that to make!

Anybody know about training schools near Vancouver?

paco
16th Aug 2007, 11:24
Try ProIFR, just to the East.

phil

fadge
16th Aug 2007, 18:07
Clockworkt

Isn't it a bit premature to be telling people to go to a school when you have only been to MFC for one week? Having spent 4 months at Moncton earlier this year I would not recommend the school. In that time I achieved a JAA PPL and 20 hours (with a lot of stress) . The delays I experienced were due to very bad weather, flying once on good days, snagged a/c and the syllabus constantly being changed for no good reason.

I am not the only one who has had delays. After six weeks, one JAA did not go solo and had to return home. Two other students having spent 3 months at the school both had to return home without getting their PPL - FACT. CPL students fore just as bad - mainly due to the CFI taking on 5 students at the same time.

Please come back when you have finished your training and give a fair and accurate account.

nibi786
17th Aug 2007, 04:12
OK.,,,so you had a few hiccups with this FTO - main one being weather...big whoop.....

I attended the college last year sucessfully achieving my JAA PPL and returned to hour build this year with intentions to do the MECPL......YES an uncontrolable factor has been the weather - the summer has been rubbish compared to previous years....but flying once on good wx days? should have booked slots in advance ;) i have managed 3 flights on good w/x days or one flight lasting a couple of hours.....

As for the standard of training - this clearly cannot be faulted...In fact i rememeber an instructor telling me they recieved an email from a customer that was happy after he had returned home thanking him for a great time at the college (ring any bells fadge)?

All in all....the college is a great setup and we dont need certain pruners destroying the better FTOs out there. want anymore info? PM me... :)

N786

Canadapilot
17th Aug 2007, 05:56
AfricanDude, i'm at Canadian Flight Centre in Vancouver and impressed so far...PM me if you want any details

fadge
17th Aug 2007, 17:15
Nibi

I have never questioned the quality of MY instruction at MFC. I was quite happy with it. My instructor put in a lot of hard work at the end of my training to get me finished. What I am saying is that the delays at MFC have been and can be excessive and can end up costing people dearly. I would not call a student coming to MFC to complete a PPL in six weeks (which he was told was possible) and returning home without going solo a hiccup. The fact that it took me four months to complete a PPL is not a hiccup. Also the case that every single CPL student who has attended MFC this year (up until July) has been delayed in not a hiccup. Please don't be so patronising.

As for your accusation that I am out to destroy MFCs reputation, that is just complete nonsense. I am stating exactly what my experience at MFC has been. Isn't that what this thread is all about? I am not a mouthpiece for MFC and believe prospective students are entitle to hear what the reality of training in Canada is. Then they can make an informed decision on what FTO to choose.

clockworkt
17th Aug 2007, 22:41
No Im not a plant. But thanks for the spelling check.:rolleyes:Ill remember that.:E LOL

pbh85
18th Aug 2007, 14:05
Regarding MFC, like fadge, I too had a dissappointing experience.

Being 1 of 5 CPL students, there were many issues regarding instructor/examiner availability and timescales. The sole instructor would occasionally cancel flyable days, after having flown with each of us the day before, claiming to be exhausted. A stretch of one week was not uncommon between flights, resulting in our stays being extended by many weeks. Having been quoted 6 weeks for a MECPL course, 3 months after arriving in Moncton, I was finally ready to test.

However, the quality of CPL instruction could not be faulted leaving me feeling prepared and confident for the test.

AirKiller47
18th Aug 2007, 18:17
I did my cpl time building and completed my instrument rating at Harvs Air in Manitoba. Usually there was one day a week where the weather was poor all day. I completed my cpl and ifr in four months. The worst of the weather is winds, but if you can handle winds and short strip landings then there is no problem.

paco
19th Aug 2007, 04:23
Well, harvsair is always recommended :), but they're nowhere near vancouver!

try also Skyquest at Langley

phil

glidehigh
19th Aug 2007, 11:32
I have also recently completed a JAA CPL at MFC.
From what I can see, there are several opinions, and some that are just there to keep the peace.
I had a very disappointing experience at MFC. The Canadian licence training department seemed to be up to scratch, but the JAA department was far from being well managed.
PPL and CPL students at this FTO had enormous delays while I was there. There was no transparency about this fact, and it even went so far that the management denied there was even a problem in the first place. This lead to students either having to extend their stay considerably, or going home without completing the course.
Instruction quality was very good, the main problem being that it was hard to get much of it, and frequently. My CPL instructor often cancelled lessons for a whole variety of reasons. The weather was not often an issue, and had I not been so fixated on getting finished, I believe I would have had even more lessons cancelled.
Red tape is also a major issue at MFC. The number of hoops you have to jump through just to be allowed to hire a cessna solo for an hour is amazing. If you want to take this cessna more than 25NM from the airfield or land anywhere else, then that's another story altogether!
Overall, the instructors are good, but be prepared to double or triple any time estimates provided, and consequently budget more for living expenses etc...
Any questions, just PM me.

shbuldu49
29th Aug 2007, 14:43
hi there,
waiting for someone to answer who got training at PROIFR or experienced people.. ur reply will be highly appeciated
I really wanna know more about Proifr? Actually, I am waiting visa documents sent by PROIFR.
how did u get impressed?
accomodations seems expensive provided by PROIFR at the airpor . Sharing a flat with full time students may lessen the living expenses. What are ur comments about the school and the accomodation?
really looking forward to hearing from u soon!!!
Best Regards
Serkan

Flying Frenchman 2000
11th Sep 2007, 19:20
Hi all,

I recently finished my JAA Multi CPL with MFC,
It was a disappointing experience, like my colleagues have pointed out in previous posts, the JAA program suffers from a lack of instructors (CPL)
and poor management, the quality of instruction was good but the lack of it left most of us frustrated,
Most of us suffered long periods of time without any training, in my case, up to 14 days, with other periods reaching 11 days without flights and weather wasn't the main issue.

The Canadian side seems well run and the facilities are good, however the twin fleet is old and often grounded.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me.

Regards to all.

BA123
13th Sep 2007, 16:14
Most people reading this will probably know who I am as I have just recently left the Flight College after obtaining a JAA PPL after 3 and a half months. Yes, this does sound like a long time to train for a PPL but it is well worth all the hard work and frustration.

A few people have recently posted bad comments about the CPL programme, however I was not involved in that side of the operation so therefore I will not comment. I arrived in Moncton in March 07 until June 07 then returning in August to complete my licence and to Hour Build.

Between march and june there were many delays due to the weather which everybody said was uncharacteristic for the season, such as snow at the end of April, however my instructor was willing to fly very early in the morning to avoid the weather build up in the afternoon. Aircraft availability was not a problem for myself however other opinions may differ. There is a great atmosphere between all the other students because they all help eachother to resolve situations that may occur.

The JAA programme will soon be in a grey period while the current CFI leaves and a new one arrives but i am sure that this will not take to long. I personally want to thank my instructor and examiner for all their hard work and for making me a competent Private Pilot. Thanks Guys !!!

Any Info required feel free to PM me.

Chris

Ste88
16th Oct 2007, 22:04
Hello!

Just a question...

The best flying school in canada?

what are the flying school in canada which gives JAA license?

I have received this plan about Professional pilot course at PROIFR:
PPL,CPL/IR/ME with 225h at 40923$ all inclusive(without accomodation and food)

what do u think about?

Finals19
17th Oct 2007, 08:05
Attended ProIFR for my initial IFR rating. They are very good at what they do - that is for sure - and have a well developed IFR training system.
The Beech Duchess fleet is well maintained. One slight unusual feature that Pro used to operate on was that you will fly with lots of different instructors and not just one. This may/may not be your thing - its your call I guess. There are some instructors who have been there a long time and are well established, others who are a lot more transient and to a point go through the instructor "puppy mill". This doesn't mean that the quality of instruction necessarily suffers.

Make sure you check the a/c rental rates, as Pro did use to charge extra hobbs time for ground run up on every flight, which if I recall used to seem quite high (0.3?) Every flight I did had an almost mandatory ground briefing (even if it was the same old ZBB-WC-XX-HUH etc routing) which is also charged and I did feel was at times rather surplus to requirement.

Your other options on the field are Pacific Flying Club (good, but a BCIT (local college) Aviation diploma puppy mill) Canadian Flight Centre (also pretty good but smaller, one twin only I think)

Obviously, all these places only train for Canadian licences and ratings (Ste88 - if you're Italian this is worth thinking about because unless you can work in Canada, you're likely going to have to convert your Canadian ICAO licence to the JAA)

Boundary Bay airport is 17 miles south of Vancouver and as such there aren't a ton of accommodation options there. Your nearest towns are Ladner or Tsawassen (sp?!) or otherwise the Steveston / Richmond area which is up hwy 99 towards Vancouver. Richmond, near the main airport might be better for hotel accommodation.

Ste88
27th Feb 2008, 10:07
ohh you are right buy my idea is this:

I'm going to Canada to obtain the canadian license till cpl me ir than became a CFI and so i could look a job place in canada as FI to give me a few of flight experience. After this I have several way to follow..I can think to waiting to reach 1500h to obtain ATPL(candian) so I try to enter in a regional airline in Canada...Only in the future i could convert my license(with ATPL)in JAA and come back in Italy or EU