PDA

View Full Version : Islander forced landing Pattaya

Xeque
17th Jan 2003, 16:12
A BN A2 Islander made a forced landing in farmland 2 minutes out of Pattaya Airfield (South East Thailand) on January 16. The pilot (Thai national) and 6 passengers (expat skydivers) survived with various bruises.

The local reports are that one engine failed shortly after takeoff and the other minutes after that. With options severely limited the man in the left seat set it down as best he could. Result (commendable), a bit of bruising for those on board but, thank God, no casualties. I have a .jpg but I'm not sure how to display it here.

It's good to be able to say "Well done that man".

Now, why??. Contaminated fuel or no fuel at all? What else stops both engines within such a short space of time?

Jump Complete
17th Jan 2003, 16:29
Well done indeed. As it was a jump-ship I assume the 'pax' weren't strapped in, just sitting on the floor, in which case the pilot must have done a very good job to aviod injuries. Bet the jumpers wished they were a bit higher though! Anyone know if they were in fact 'ex-pat' or visting Brit sky-divers, in which case, where from?

Xeque
17th Jan 2003, 16:57
Jump Completed. I'm not a jumper - I just fly perfectly servicable aircraft (sorry - had to have that little dig).

One of the guys reported was a local regular, aka Flying Frog and, "Yes" he is a Frenchman. The other was a lady named Lorna Martin (maybe a Brit but who knows - I'm working off the local newspaper here and it's not that well focused).

Kwasi_Mensa
17th Jan 2003, 20:41
http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd1

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/pictures/home_494.jpg

Bob Hawke
18th Jan 2003, 00:23
And they walked away from that??? Not bad, not bad at all!:)

Chicken Leg
18th Jan 2003, 16:49
Bob,

You are joking, are'nt you? :cool: :p :rolleyes:

What a beautiful blue sky!!

combi pilot
19th Jan 2003, 01:20
All on board surviving a prang like that? Wow, gotta take my hat off to the pilot..

kwaiyai
21st Jan 2003, 10:07
Great place to force land too!:D :D :D

Bob Hawke
23rd Jan 2003, 05:33
I saw the remains of an Islander crash in Weipa about 12 years ago, shortly after takeoff, heading for Aurukun. It spun in vertical shortly aftertake off and killed all on board, about 8 pob I think. Young Pilot less than 10 hrs experience and paid dearly for it. It was in a crash comic series some time back as well.

That's why I am amazed. Not to forget the one at Coconut Is. Torres Straits, I believe from an aborted missed approach/go round which went disasteriously wrong.

If only they built them like Volvos, they got the same l :rolleyes: :rolleyes: k

ipanema
24th Jan 2003, 17:44
An Islander went in vertically at Union Island, Grenadines (Caribbean) quite a few years ago (10??) when the youngster insisted in constantly showing off his superior flying skills... seems he had developed a stall turn right over the island that brought him onto final with a savings of a minute or so over everyone else (the approach there used to be quite an experience before the runway was shifted).

His lordship and a company mechanic he had on board were killed.

When I passed through there a couple of years ago it was still in situ (I guess they didn't have the equipment and/or the money locally to move it) and it was quite a sight - I wished I had taken my camera,

The fuselage was quite vertical, nose buried up to the forward side of the pilot's door, instrument panel was slightly below ground level. The wings were parked neatly against a wall nearby.

It's probably been removed by now, though...