PDA

View Full Version : Imminent upgrade... IDEAS?

Tacit Blue
17th Jan 2003, 16:01
Sirs and Madams,
I have a 2000 vintage Packard Bell 733MHz,64Mb machine... (SEX!).
I've recently been offered a free upgrade by Pissy World (I'll have to pay for the hardware).
I was thinking of a G Force graphics card (not sure if the '3' will suit my machine- old), and as much memory as she'll take - 384Mb I think.

Is this worth the effort and expense or should I give the machine to my folks (no computer) and buy a new power machine ?

:p

Seriously though,your opinions are much appreciated.

ORAC
17th Jan 2003, 19:23
Why do want to upgrade?

If you were a gamer and needed the better graphics you'd have done it already. If you couldn't run the programmes you wanted because of the graphics or memory you'd have upgraded already. If you were running out of HD space you'd have bought an extra one. I don't see the point, therefore, in upgrading just because they'll fit it free, especially at their prices.

You probably don't have an AGP slot so your video card upgrade would be limited to a PCI card such as a Geforce 4 MMX420. A memory upgrade would be by older SIMMs.

If you really want a better machine get a new one. Due to poor sales the companies have slashed prices to the bone to move them. It's a good time to buy.

Tacit Blue
19th Jan 2003, 03:16
ORAC and TCS ....mmmm Thanks

probably won't get it upgraded.Probably just give it to me folks.

'been after a new power pc for a wile any way........

Jet II
19th Jan 2003, 17:13
I've recently been offered a free upgrade by Pissy World (I'll have to pay for the hardware).

Either its free or it ain't.

As to whether you should upgrade it all depends on what you use the machine for - you don't tell us that one.

:confused:

EGLD
19th Jan 2003, 19:06
Without the info described above as to what you use it for, its hard to say]

But looking at that spec, I'd say upgrade the RAM

A 733 processor will do most things nowadays easily, but XP and 2000 Pro need 256mb to really shine

We have several 500-800mhz PC's which have upgraded to XP Pro and run successfully (with some graphic settings turned off) with us bumping the RAM up to 256mb

After that, if you have the cash, get a new graphics card, geforce 3 and 4 should become much cheaper with the new FX chip due this year

Tacit Blue
22nd Jan 2003, 16:04
Jet II - They'll carry out the upgrade work for free plus some other sundries,I then pay for the bits they upgrade the machine with.

EGLD - Thanks.

It's looking as though I'll buy a new machine.I don't use it for anything earth shattering but it's nice to have more spec than you think you need - incase your requirements change in the future!