PDA

View Full Version : Military aircraft down near Pearce?

Cook me some eggs Bitch!
17th Jan 2003, 11:44
Heard on ABC news (breaking news) that a Military aircraft had crashed near Bullsbrook, pilot ejected.

Happened around 6.30pm this evening.

Anybody with news?

Icarus2001
17th Jan 2003, 11:52
From the ABC website...

US fighter jet overshoots runway at airbase in WA
The United States Navy is treating a problem landing at Pearce Airbase north-east of Perth as a minor incident, after a pilot overshot the runway this evening.

The F-18 Hornet was one of 20 fighter jets deployed to Pearce Air base for flight training during resurfacing work on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln.

A spokeswoman for the RAAF says the jet was one of two taking part in training and overshot the runway when it attempted to land.

The aircraft ended up in a crash grid, which is used to restrain aircraft in the event of an accident.

The pilot is believed to be uninjured but is under observation at the base's medical centre.

An investigation will be launched into the incident

Cook me some eggs Bitch!
17th Jan 2003, 12:02
So I gather the pilot didnt eject then?

Bloody media, a bunch of Thunderbirds on speed....

Arm out the window
17th Jan 2003, 21:56
Might have ejected prior to the aircraft taking the barrier, so maybe they did get the report right.

RV6
18th Jan 2003, 12:14
Barrier??? News footage showed the aircraft in bush and the acompanying report said it was on private land.

Rich-Fine-Green
18th Jan 2003, 20:01
Aerial shot of said fighter on late night news had what looks to me like an intact canopy.

TIMMEEEE
18th Jan 2003, 21:51
Looking at the same footage I would tend to agree.
The jet went over 500m beyond the end of the runway after having gone over an access road beyond the strip end.

Whats the go?
Mechanical failure may have contributed but if it can land on a 280m length deck on a heaving aircraft carrier then surely?

I loved the residents comments about "It was only a matter of time.......if they're Americans why dont they train in America..........you should see the mad way they fly" etc.
I wonder how they feel about the Singaporeans being based there flying regularly!!!!

Tool Time Two
19th Jan 2003, 00:37
Probably forgot he or she was not landing on the Carrier and when the hook didn't engage hit the thrust levers. Then noticed another mile or so of deck. The Pearce scrub is a great stopper.:cool:

MIss Behaviour
19th Jan 2003, 00:41
Timmeeee, seemed the locals were getting a bit fizzy about driving to or from their house and having Police give them the third degree about doing so, or so they made out.

Wonder if that little sortie earns the pilot 'tea & bickies' with the ship's Captain? ;)

Rich-Fine-Green
19th Jan 2003, 04:09
Timmeee:

Joe/Jane Moron

I've seen it before at other aviation incidents.

The duty media hack (trying hard to make a name for him/herself) goes door to door until a loudmouth is found that is willing to say something really stupid.

The resident concerned was obviously not concerned too much to buy/rent close to the airport to begin with. :rolleyes:

the wizard of auz
19th Jan 2003, 11:29
My info had it being a super hornet, and it did sort of use a crash net........it was meant to have gone first through the airport fence and then onto the private property via the property boundary fence. pilot rode it out in the aircraft.

SPLATR
19th Jan 2003, 11:48
I'm starting to think Perth is becoming the home of the whinger. Buy a property next to an airbase that's been there for years and moan when an aircraft comes to grief...if they were so blasted concerned about their safety, they shouldn't buy there!!!! :mad:

US Navy swaps ships' crews out in Fremantle, injecting millions into the economy and what do we get? "Don't want them here...fear for our safety!" :mad:

Good ol' failed politician and tree hugger Carmen Lawrence gets her mug on TV so easily now. Suppose it feeds her need to be in the public eye even as a failure. Oh my god, where do these people rise from? I guess the clueless media just love'em, poor little dears.:(

Had my say, feel better now. I'll think I'll take a Bex and have a little lie down.:cool:

Islander Jock
20th Jan 2003, 03:44
G'day SPLATR,

Have some sympathy for us West Australians who cringe every time Carmen - I don't recall - Lawrence appears on TV purporting to be a voice of the local people. She seems to forget it is the people in her own electorate who run many of the businesses that benefit from US visits to WA.

I think you hit the nail right on the head about her need to stay in the public eye. I guess it's just a matter of keeping yourself in the media long enough so that when the next election comes around you can hope the average schmuck will tick the box for the name with the highest profile.

I have it on good authority ;) that the public rally at Lancelin was a complete flop! About 4 locals from the town turned out along with a dozen or so under achieving uni students from Perth who looked and smelled like they hadn't seen a bar of soap for 3 weeks. Their little plan to stop the practice on the range was thwarted when the local Johnny Hopper threatened to lock them up if they went beyond the range boundary. Now I wonder who it was that spotted them loaded in a trailer behind a 4WD and heading for the range that tipped the cops off?? :D :D

topend3
20th Jan 2003, 03:44
yep, i liked Carmen Lawrence's comments on ABC Radio News re this incident, she was demanding a full inquiry and a guarantee that this sort of incident won't happen again! get real love, who can make that sort of guarantee, and who is she to talk about enquiries and guarantees? "I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF THAT CONVERSATION", remember that one???

the wizard of auz
20th Jan 2003, 06:40
IJ, old, mate, you should have let em go and then called in a strike and Identified the target as a small moving target. :D

flyboy6876
20th Jan 2003, 06:53
Hang on Hang on OzE

I was out that way on Saturday in a C172 - most definitely a "small moving target". I really do'nt fancy a missile up my tailpipe!:D

Islander Jock
20th Jan 2003, 11:37
flyboy6876,

You weren't by chance the VFR that busted through R146 during one of the sorties on Saturday were you? :D

ML Centre and Pearce were pulling their hair out trying to contact whoever it was.

Tool Time Two
20th Jan 2003, 13:22
Carmen's no fool - just an idiot.:cool:

flyboy6876
21st Jan 2003, 08:54
Good heavens Islander Jock, do I sound like the kind of irresponsible pilot that would merrily ignore the notams?:D :p

Nah, I cut south of R146 to Wayler Wayler Hill and then north to Dandarigin and Moora. I don't want to mess with them jet airyplane things filled with Gung Ho Naval Aviators! :D