PDA

View Full Version : JAR-OPS 1.205 Competence of Operations Personnel

no sig
17th Jan 2003, 10:34
As an annex to the discussion running on the ICAO course thread, I'd reproduce here the JAR IEM 1.205 for you info.

IEM OPS 1.205 Yellow Paper
Training of Flight Operations Officers
(See JAR-OPS 1.205)

If an operator employs Flight Operations Officers in conjunction with a method of Operational Control as defined in JAR OPS 1.195, training for these personnel should be based on relevant parts of ICAO Doc 7192 D3. This training should be described in sub Part D of the Operations Manual. This should not be taken as a requirement for Licensed Flight Dispatchers nor for a flight following system.

Flight Operations Officer Training
The proposal to amend JAR-OPS 1.205 by the addition of an IEM dealing with Flight Dispatcher Training originated during discussion of Agenda Item 10.1 at OC 99/2.

At the annual JAA/FAA Harmonisation conference in Rome in June 1999 the International Flight Dispatcher’s Association, IFALDA, presented a paper which, inter alia, drew attention to ICAO material on the subject of Flight Dispatcher Training published in 1998. Consequently the OPSG reviewed this and as a result the OPSG considered that it would be sufficient to make reference in JAR-OPS 1 to the ICAO Flight Dispatcher/Flight Operations Officer Training Manual, Doc 7192 D-3.

Although the OPSG had been tasked to draft Section 2 material on training, it found it impossible not to discuss the issue of whether Flight Dispatchers should be a requirement within JAR OPS 1. The OPSG considered that there were good historic and practical reasons why Dispatchers and their flight following function had grown to be a requirement in the USA but not in Europe. The most obvious difference being that the USA is a single continental land mass with a common language and telephone system, and a domestic network that constitutes the vast majority of the commercial operations carried out by US operators. Europe is or has none of the above, and the operations conducted by JAA operators are much more evenly balanced between domestic and international. Until recently there was no practical means of assuring continuous two way contact between an operator and his aircraft, other than in domestic airspace. The OPSG considered that JAR OPS 1.175 or 1.195 does not require a system of flight following,and concluded that it is not yet appropriate for there to be such a requirement, although this should not be excluded for the future.

Finally, and partly as a consequence of the above, the OPSG considered that the present pre-flight situation, whereby the commander is responsible for ensuring the correct completion of the flight plan, is appropriate.

famous grouse
18th Jan 2003, 06:46
here we go again !!

"briefly this time !!"

"training for these personnel should be based on relevant parts of ICAO Doc 7192 D3. This training should be described in sub Part D of the Operations Manual. This should not be taken as a requirement for Licensed Flight Dispatchers nor for a flight following system. "

Note the word "relevant" parts of ICAO 7192 and the sentence "This should not be taken as a requirement for Licensed Flight Dispatchers nor for a flight following system. "

see the thread about the GCNS course for a discussion on the word relevance

rgds FG

You splitter
24th Jan 2003, 11:36
IEM OPS 1.205 Yellow Paper
Training of Flight Operations Officers
(See JAR-OPS 1.205)

No sig,

I've checked thru my copy of JAR OPS 1, but cant find this IEM yellow paper. I can see the JAR OPs entry.

Do you know if this yellow paper is on line anywhere?

This may be something we need to take on board here.
Thanks

YS

no sig
24th Jan 2003, 12:49
Your Splitter

This is a copy of an email JAA sent to me, so sorry I haven't searched for the original myself as it was sent to me as a word attachment, see your personal message for an email from me with the JAA contact details.

You splitter
28th Jan 2003, 01:32
:) Thanks no sig.

As of yet no message..........
If you get a minute could you try again. Appreciated.

rgds
YS