PDA

View Full Version : skytrans

flyby
17th Jan 2003, 08:24
Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me where skytrans torres base is located?(ie horn or yorke) Also any info on the companys ops and working conditions would be greatly appreciated.
So far initial inquiries have bee very positive. Cheers.

404 Titan
17th Jan 2003, 12:14
Skytrans's base in the straights is on HID. Last I heard their accommodation was on TI. In regards to what they are like to work for, they would have to be one of the best GA companies in Australia. They pay at least the award, aircraft are maintained to the highest standard and they are a very professional and well-run outfit. They only down side is that when you join them you will be based in HID on tours from Cairns. Once you move up the seniority list, you will be based permanently in Cairns

flyby
17th Jan 2003, 13:15
I guess doing fortnight tours is a small price to pay to work for a well known and more importantly reputable company.
Any idea on how long one would would be working between cairns and the straits before being based solely out of cairns?

Bob Hawke
17th Jan 2003, 23:37
Absolutely impeccible, no barriers there matee. Go 4 it!:D

404 Titan
18th Jan 2003, 01:42
How long you spend touring between Cairns & HID all depends on how quickly people move on. I do know recently they have been putting new guys on up there. My guess is you would be touring for at least a year.

Anna Spanna
18th Jan 2003, 07:26
At present the rotation of 2 weeks on HID- 2 CNS, looks to be around the 9-12 months. Some of the senior guys in the company did up to 18 months.
Excellent organisation with varied charter and rpt work. Above award pay and no GA bullsh!t.
Cairns based pilots are doing 900 to 1000 hours a year on 404, 402, 310.

Capt Fathom
18th Jan 2003, 07:57
Cairns based pilots are doing 900 to 1000 hours a year Isn't the CAO limit 900 hours per year?...or do some operators have exemptions.

Piston Twin
18th Jan 2003, 11:41
Capt F, not sure about Skytrans, but cetrainly the exemption I'm working under allows for 1,000hrs/yr

PT

Willie Nelson
19th Jan 2003, 13:57
Same here PT, in fact many companies I am aware of have a 1000 hour per 365 day period exemption.

We also pay above award too:D

Willie

The Bullwinkle
21st Jan 2003, 08:14
Most of the G.A. operators I know of in Torres Strait and other remote areas are under the exemption.

J0N0
21st Jan 2003, 11:32
Yeah like most companies round here they have an exemption. Also the Pilots are based on Horn now a days (used to be T.I) Certainly a great company although I think some of the CS based pilots might be doing it a bit tough with all the flying as mentioned 900-1000. Sounds good to start with but some of 'em have been there a while. Even so I agree with a previous comment, not many GA opperators in Oz that would be better. Rumour only but it might be 10% above the award.

goldeneagle
26th Jan 2003, 09:07
Do any of you guys know what sort of hours these people are looking for? Sounds like a good company to work for. Worth getting applicable endorsements first, or go up and ask in person? (It's a long way from MB)

404 Titan
27th Jan 2003, 02:17
I could be wrong but like most operators on the filed at Cairns with Queensland Government contract work the minimums are:

2000 hrs Total
750 hrs Multi Eng Command
100 hrs Ngt Command
At least 3 IR Renewals.

If the above is wrong someone may be able to correct the above figures. These were the fiqures that my previous employer were using when I was employing pilots back in early 2000.