PDA

View Full Version : Flying "N" registered A/C

MCT
21st Mar 2001, 21:35
What is the FAA requirement for a foriegn PPL holder to rent and fly a USA registered aircraft.

A and C
21st Mar 2001, 22:36
Take your licence ,medical and logbook to the local FAA office and after filling a simple form they will issue a tempory airman certificate in all the thing should take about 30 min, the permanent certificate will turn up in the post after about 60 days and it all costs nothing.
Its so simple i wonder why no one at the CAA has thought of it.

helimutt
21st Mar 2001, 23:23
A and C.
Just read your last line to see the answer!!
"CAA" and "THOUGHT"? Possible?

'I' in the sky
21st Mar 2001, 23:47
Need picture ID aswell.

TooHotToFly
22nd Mar 2001, 00:11
A and C - it's even easier to do the same thing here - you can fly G registered aircraft on a non UK PPL without any paperwork requirements or flying at all.

IanSeager
22nd Mar 2001, 01:58
Once you have your temporary airmans cert. you'll have to do a BFR in order to fly/hire an N reg aircraft legally

MCT
22nd Mar 2001, 02:25
THanks to all... What is a BFR?? Also do you not have to write a Air Law exam??

Flare_you_fool!
22nd Mar 2001, 02:27
A BFR is not required to hire a plane once a temp has been issued as it is based on your foreign licence, so long as your are current on your foreign licence, then you are good to go. The same way that if you let your foreign licence "expire" your FAA conversion will no longer be valid.
The school you rent from may however insist on an aircraft checkout.A biennial flight review. No exams required
Regards
FYF
Edited for BFR definition

[This message has been edited by Flare_you_fool! (edited 21 March 2001).]

IanSeager
22nd Mar 2001, 03:00
Flare you fool! Unless the rules have changed in the last couple of months you do need a BFR even if your original licence is current. Many FBOs in the US are not aware of this, but it is the case (Have spoken to the FAA). Failure to complete a BFR will (I suspect) be used as an excuse by the insurance company should anything go wrong. As far as I remember a BFR needs to consist of at least 1 hours ground tuition/refresher and a 1 hour flight. As anyone renting will need a checkout anyway its not that big a deal.
Ian
PS Make sure the instructor signs your log book and writes it up as a BFR

Flare_you_fool!
22nd Mar 2001, 03:09
Ian,
You may well be correct that insurance companies will use this as a get out of paying card. As far as the FAA is concerned there is no regulatory requirement to do a BFR as long as your foreign licence is current. I would recommend that one be done however to avoid insurance issues.
Regards
FYF

------------------
Oh no,not again!

Noggin
22nd Mar 2001, 18:17
Now everone has assumed he wants to fly it in the USA. As MCT is in Canada he might just want to fly it there! In which case he can fly it on a Canadian licence in Canada, but not outside Canada. The hiring issue would be more complex.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 22 March 2001).]

Bear Cub
23rd Mar 2001, 07:23
Flare...you probably don't care - but my vote is with Ian.

You DO need a "Flight Review" (previously known as a BFR) to activate the new TAC even if it is issued on the strength of a current foreign licence.

I argued for many months in your favour - I was proven wrong...you DO need one.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!