PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL Flight Planning Exam

Rusty Cessna
21st Mar 2001, 21:21
As I hear it to complete the JAR PPL sylabus we now need to do a Flight Planning exam. I'm not too worried about this just a tad confused. I gather it is out of 15 questions with the usual 75% pass mark, so 12 questions must be answered correctly.

What I need to know is what is this exam like? What type of questions are asked, how do you answer them, where do you get information to revise for it?

Thanks again people,
Oh and DOC mate, before you ask, QXC planned for 2 weeks today! :) :)

Rusty

str12
21st Mar 2001, 22:35
Rusty

It sounds like we have both reached the same stage in training.

I'm doing the Flight Planning exam at the weekend and it is covered by Trevor Thom's book 'The Aeroplane - Technical', Section Four 'Airworthiness and Performance'.

At least I hope so....!

Rusty Cessna
21st Mar 2001, 22:43
Excellent!

Are you doing Nav at the same time, or have you done it?

Rusty

Magicjimmy
21st Mar 2001, 23:13
Rusty:

I did mine about 2 months ago. As the above posts say, the Trevor Thom manual covers most of the info that you need. The best way of getting an idea of the questions is to read the 'PPL Confuser' book. If you haven't seen it, it gives worked questions/answers to all the PPL exams. Many of the questions that are worked through are almost word-for-word copies of the actual exam questions set. (At least they were for me!) Learning the 'correct' answers to the questions won't give the best of knowledge, but the Confuser book will certainly get you through the exam. In my case, I sat the exam (and passed) with just 2 hours work (reading the manual and then studying the confuser just before sitting the exam. Again, it's not the best way to learn but if you want to pass the exam, and then study further later, it's great! Good luck!

and the chap said
21st Mar 2001, 23:20
Hi Rusty, str12,

It's appears that we have all reached the same stage. I did my Flight Performance and Planning 2wks ago, so let me fill you in on the details…

It’s not a difficult exam and as you pointed out str12, Section 4, Airworthiness and Performance prepares you well. Be sure to through the Q & A at the back in order to ensure you know it well. I did this and found that I had sound prep.

May I also suggest you go though the JAA Version of PPL Confuser by Neung Sornying. It has a Flight Performance and Planning section (unlike the CAA Version) is probably the best revision you can do.

The sort of questions you face, well…

If air density is reduced, full throttle t/o distance will be:
A – Increased
B – Reduced
C – The same

Given the following:
A/C take-off weight
C of G for Departure
Fuel burn during flight (with C of G xx-inches aft of the datum)…

Calculate the landing C of G aft of the datum

Expect one or two questions where you have to read a graph. For example, reading the C of G moment envelope for an a/c.

Expect to read a table with flight time, fuel used and distance flown during a climb to a different altitude – then give those values for a particular altitude. It can take some interpolation, but it’s not hard.

I could go on but I have to go to the pub, so good luck chaps.

ATCS

P.S. How have you managed to get all your solo xcty done in this wx. I’m having a nightmare. Also, I have only RT remaining - have you taken this yet? If so, any surprises?