View Full Version : Skye - Edi/Gla

Meeb
16th Jan 2003, 18:56
Its being reported in the local press up in Skye that West Highland Air Transport (WHAT) have signed an agreement to commence a scheduled air service to Edinburgh and/or Glasgow.

The name behind this venture is Gavin Oldham, just wondering if any PPRuNe'r might know something about this chap and if he is likely to make this a viable enterprise?

The plan seems to centre on the Dash 7, due to the short runway at Broadford. As this is an aeroplane I have always wanted to operate, I do have a vested interest. :D

Deeko01
16th Jan 2003, 23:51
I hope it comes off there has certainly been talking about it for a while, they deserve an airlink into Ashaig.

I would be very surprised if it is done in a Dash 7 though perhaps a Beech 1900 maybe a better choice. Loganair could only really fill the Trislander when the oil work was being done up there but times have changed now and air travel has moved on leaving The Isle of Skye behind.

l used to fly in there regular for Fuel for the helicopter and its a nice wee strip and ample size for the likes of a Dash 7/Twin Otter or Beech 90/200/1900.

topunicyclist
20th Feb 2003, 00:23
I met Gavin Oldham in 1999 and heard about his plans to start operations to Skye, but assumed the venture had not got off the ground (no pun intended) as I hadn't heard anything about flights to Skye since then (until I saw this thread just now).

Seemed like a pleasant enough chap, though I'm not sure WHAT (sorry - again no pun intended but I just can't help myself) the demand would be like especially since the opening of the Skye bridge.